Next Tory leader

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 06 Sep 2019

Given that Johnson looks like being forced into resignation or drowning himself in a ditch prior to the October EU summit, who is going to be the next Tory leader? Looks like there could be an extraordinary bout of bloodletting. Could the opposition parties engineer the election to take place while the Tories are busy fighting viciously amongst themselves under a beleaguered interim prime minister/leader?

john arran 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

I do like the idea of having an election at the same time as all of the prominent Tories are doing their best to show up the inadequacies of all of the other prominent Tories!

fred99 06 Sep 2019

> Given that Johnson looks like being forced into resignation or drowning himself in a ditch ....

Why should he be allowed to drown himself - we could have a lottery with first prize getting to be the one who holds him under, all proceeds to charity of course.

Moley 06 Sep 2019

Ask president Putin who he has in mind?

pasbury 06 Sep 2019

Pretty clear it's the ultimate poisoned chalice. Those that crave it die by it.

Mick Ward 06 Sep 2019
In reply to pasbury:

And yet they still crave it.

'Revive for a moment a broken Coriolanus...'

Mick

Philip 06 Sep 2019

Nigel Farrage.

Trangia 06 Sep 2019

Amber Rudd? She's ambitious, she certainly had her eye on the top job, but of late she's had the sense to keep a low profile and let them destroy each other.

bonebag 06 Sep 2019

Jeremy Hunt.

The New NickB 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Trangia:

> Amber Rudd? She's ambitious, she certainly had her eye on the top job, but of late she's had the sense to keep a low profile and let them destroy each other.

What's her majority, is it about 300?

neilh 07 Sep 2019
In reply to bonebag:

Gove. 

3rd time lucky. 

OP Robert Durran 07 Sep 2019
In reply to john arran:

> I do like the idea of having an election at the same time as all of the prominent Tories are doing their best to show up the inadequacies of all of the other prominent Tories!

There is a report that IDS is urging Johnson to break the law and go to prison as a Brexit martyr. I really like the idea of the Tories fighting an election with their leader and prime minister in jail. 

DaveHK 07 Sep 2019

When Boris goes I'd like to see some sort of ritual mocking. Stocks perhaps or run out of town on a rail.

MargieB 08 Sep 2019

There has to be a blood letting  but I sincerely hope it is postponed to after January 31st because I'm sick and tired of the Conservative problems driving the country's agenda.

If the 21 "expelled" MPs win their legal battle that in fact Putin, sorry Boris, cannot mass purge his party members and force them into being independents, then they all get a vote of no confidence in their party leader soonish after Jan 31st.

All depends on referendum result.  

I 'd say Rory Stewart is likely.

because by then Brexit and Brexit party policy disappears into irrelevance for the Tory party policy  {but only if we have a referendum- more reason for those 21 to back a referendum}. Timing is all for a Tory Party to be re-branded and not become a far right Party. The later the better

stevieb 08 Sep 2019

You’re really going to regret starting this thread if Johnson gets a majority and makes way for Raab in 2023

Postmanpat 08 Sep 2019

If Johnson resigns, and the Tories have no majority, what happens?

OP Robert Durran 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

> If Johnson resigns, and the Tories have no majority, what happens?

Presumably Corbyn tries to form a government. As things stand, this is what looks like happenin before Oct 19th.

In reply to MargieB:

I can't see how there's going to be time for an election, for Labour or a remain coalition to negotiate a compromise deal and to have a referendum before Jan 31st; it will need another extension.

In reply to stevieb:

> You’re really going to regret starting this thread if Johnson gets a majority and makes way for Raab in 2023

But, as things stand, Johnson is going to have to resign before an election (assuming he doesn't get a deal through). I was really wondering what Tory leader is going to be fighting the election

wbo2 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:  I think you'll be out on Nov 1st.  I think the uk way overestimates the EU's patience 

What happens then is another  can of worms.  Not in terms of food shortages blah blah blah, because that's the UK's internal problem,  but the ongoing relationship with Europe 

Postmanpat 08 Sep 2019

> Presumably Corbyn tries to form a government. As things stand, this is what looks like happenin before Oct 19th.

But it currently looks like he won't be able to because the Lib Dems etc won't accept his leadership.

If so, then what happens. Maybe Swinson can cobble something together but it seems unlikely and of not, then what? Do we go the Belgain route of having no government?

stevieb 08 Sep 2019

> But, as things stand, Johnson is going to have to resign before an election (assuming he doesn't get a deal through). I was really wondering what Tory leader is going to be fighting the election

I am not going to count a single chicken until it hatches. Johnson’s government is falling to pieces and his popularity with the general public is rising. 

The EU may extend without us asking. Even if Johnson has to ask for an extension, most brexiters will still blame Corbyn and grieve for the failure, though a few more night vote for farage 

MargieB 08 Sep 2019

Boris will  call one, if Parliament doesn't legislate on one before he does. Referendum  is the only majority this Parliament can gain. WTO  rules on the referendum paper, with May's deal as neither will have a majority in Parliament so Boris will argue for both to be on paper cause of EU election results- there is time for a referendum before 31st Jan.-just. 

Boris is boxed in but Parliament is going away from no confidence/ coalition government /GE . Parliament hasn't a majority for any of these. But it is able to  legislate on a referendum. And Parliament needs to reassure EU that an extension is worth it . Macron has threatened to not agree an extension unless a show of trust and conclusion can be restored to the process.

There can be no general election before 31st January realistically- they'll all wake up to that one. 

I know it would be nice to do both but I think we are stuck with Cons  until a new Con leader is elected by the con Party and he/she will have to seek a mandate like May did- eventually.It is sad our whole politics is held hostage to the collapse of a minor party but that's FPTP system for you!!

Post edited at 11:00
 Alkis 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Trangia:

> Amber Rudd?

Oh, snap!

Postmanpat 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Alkis:

> Oh, snap!

Amber Rudd? That won't last long! Tiny majority. She'll be out at the next election...

Post edited at 11:20
 Alkis 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Even if she kept her seat, she’s not with the Conservative party anymore.

In reply to MargieB:

>  I 'd say Rory Stewart is likely.

I think that would require the nut jobs to break away and join Farage or form their own version of UKIP.

In reply to Alkis:

> Even if she kept her seat, she’s not with the Conservative party anymore.

Yes she is. She just resigned the whip.

Greenbanks 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

>  Do we go the Belgian route of having no government?<

A bit like the last 3 years - when everything has been deflected by the Brexit chaos inflicted on ALL of us by the hapless Cameron & componded by Johnson (well, Cummings)

Ken Clark.  Please let it be Ken Clark. Even if only a temporary measure until sense returns to UK politics.

MargieB 08 Sep 2019

Imagine the converse, that these "rebel" Tory MPs resign themselves to being independent, expelled from party and de-selection at next call of GE. Imagine then the void. Imagine a mainstream and I mean a mainstream UK party being essentially driven to retain a name but filled  and run by the very  very far right. This is what these members of the Tory Party are now looking at. They are in a last ditch chance to fight this. They may get a party back that appeals to a middle right wing ground- eventually. There has to be a "market " for it and I believe once a referendum were over the grip on the electorate would loosen from the far right and the middle "conservative" ground given a larger space.

I dread a different scenario. They are fighting for the hearts and minds of people now- and isn't it surprising how quick those hearts and minds become very very hard right. A lot of people are "lead". Some even falling for the" people" versus Parliament psyche forgetting they actually are inherently represented by the Parliamentary system!.Hitler worked that one out.

Post edited at 13:31
 colinakmc 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

Swinson can’t do anything without labour support and they’re going to think, rightly, “arrogant yellow-Tory bitch”. Corbyn, warts an all, is the leader of the Opposition and it’s his job to form an alternative government.

Postmanpat 08 Sep 2019
In reply to colinakmc:

> Swinson can’t do anything without labour support and they’re going to think, rightly, “arrogant yellow-Tory bitch”. Corbyn, warts an all, is the leader of the Opposition and it’s his job to form an alternative government.

And my question, supposing he can't?

Post edited at 19:44
 NathanP 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Philip:

> Nigel Farrage.

The way the Conservatives are going, Farage from the left wing of the party or Tommy Robinson from the centre. 

Yanis Nayu 08 Sep 2019

Extrapolating is giving me Tommy Robinson. 

Yanis Nayu 08 Sep 2019
In reply to NathanP:

Ha - I hadn’t seen that. You beat me to it!

Philip 08 Sep 2019
In reply to NathanP:

It was slightly tongue in cheek. But Tory moved anti-EU in total years ago when the MEPs changed alliance. Brexit Party /UKIP split the vote so makes sense to merge. It then comes down to if the inevitable exit of the centrists results in Tories to replace or if they can build some kind of small C conservative party that could ally with other parties in a move to coalition politics.

otherwise, if/when Scotland devolves further and we move closer to an English parliament, it would be dominated by Tories.

Pefa 08 Sep 2019

The ghost of Enoch Powell.

Or Phillip Hammond. 

Im not endorsing either of them btw but I think they should both be in the running. 

In reply to Pefa:

> Phillip Hammond. 

I find it hard to see the same membership that elected Johnson going for one of the moderate rebels who have shafted Johnson.

Post edited at 20:39
 gravy 08 Sep 2019

Hmmm, interesting question:

Well the current trend is for each subsequent prime minister to be:

• worse than the last
  • more right wing
  • more stupid

So based on this trend I'd say Raab but we could skip one and go Loathsome...

Post edited at 20:47
 Pefa 08 Sep 2019

I thought they might come to their senses when BJ is handed the tanto. 

HansStuttgart 08 Sep 2019

It is time the party splits

same as labour

Just imagine a nice stable government of a coalition between the Grieve faction of the tories with the Cooper faction of labour...

In reply to HansStuttgart:

> It is time the party splits

> same as labour

> Just imagine a nice stable government of a coalition between the Grieve faction of the tories with the Cooper faction of labour...

If only............

In reply to gravy:

> Hmmm, interesting question:

> Well the current trend is for each subsequent prime minister to be:

> worse than the last

> more right wing

> more stupid

> So based on this trend I'd say Raab but we could skip one and go Loathsome...

F*ck me - skip one more and we'll have Goebbels (thou he probably wasn't actually as stupid).

Clauso 08 Sep 2019

Strong and stable. 

Andy Hardy 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Clauso:

Rhymes with "wrong, and fable"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...