New York Governor - Cuomo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 krikoman 05 Apr 2020

Flipping through the news channels earlier today, I came across Andrew Mark Cuomo, New York's govenor giving his daily CV-19 update.

What a bloke! If only he was president of the US rather than Trumpton, honest, straight and very personable, he explained where they were, what challenges they were facing, what  difficulties they were facing, how they were trying to overcome the difficulties, and how hard it was going to be. He sugar coated nothing, and yet managed to make me feel he was managing things as best they could, he was trying his best, and gave credit to everyone involved.

There really are some great politicians out there, it's a pity there aren't more like this bloke.

* obviously, I don't know much about the bloke at all, and he might be a right wanker. I hope he isn't he seemed very genuine, and on the case.

MG 05 Apr 2020
In reply to krikoman:

He’s a great communicator in this situation isn’t he? Makes you realise how important a skill it is.

aln 06 Apr 2020
In reply to krikoman:

> honest, straight and very personable, 

I like him too, for those reasons, although I don't know anything about him either. Although it's slightly worrying that he also comes across like a character from the Godfather films....

OP krikoman 06 Apr 2020
In reply to aln:

> ... that he also comes across like a character from the Godfather films....

I thought that too, almost too cool

Still he seemed to knock spots of most of our lot, it's nice to know the US isn't populated with Trump-alikes. If anything good comes out of this it might be that people see Trump for the bumbling idiot he is and get rid, though I'm still not sure this will happen.

stevieb 06 Apr 2020
In reply to krikoman:

Cuomo sounds impressive and coherent in his speeches, but he was still slow to shut down the state.  
Ohio seem to have a mini-Trump, a septugerian Republican governor whose children hold lots of political positions. But Mike de Wine listened to his medical expert instead of his kids, and started closing the state down at the start of March.  

Graham 07 Apr 2020
In reply to krikoman:

As a New Yorker, one who was in NY when his dad was governor as well, it is a bit like a Mafia family.  I don't think he's a bad guy, but word on the street is he's fairly corrupt.  Like all of them, I guess...  

OP krikoman 07 Apr 2020
In reply to stevieb:

> Cuomo sounds impressive and coherent in his speeches, but he was still slow to shut down the state.  

I thought I'd heard something like that, pity.

OP krikoman 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Graham:

> As a New Yorker, one who was in NY when his dad was governor as well, it is a bit like a Mafia family.  I don't think he's a bad guy, but word on the street is he's fairly corrupt.  Like all of them, I guess...  

Like I said I don't know much about him at all, but at least he's not Trump, there's a video circulating (I've looked but can't find a link) of Trumps comments since November when he stated it was a hoax, though to the present. It's horrendous, funny and excruciating all at the same time, people should be made to watch it before entering the polling booth.

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemocrats/videos/651523978995432/?t=0 Sorry it FB

Post edited at 17:16
Removed User 07 Apr 2020
In reply to krikoman:

Alistair Campbell, Tony Blair's spin doctor, has been writing a lot of articles on how the government could be communicating better. He urged them to look at how Cuomo behaves, open and honest, empathetic, clear and concise.

I guess the advantage he has over a national government is he is not ultimately responsible. A general rather than a commander and therefore is not ultimately held to account for a lot of important stuff e.g. number of tests and ventilators.

Roadrunner6 07 Apr 2020
In reply to stevieb:

> Cuomo sounds impressive and coherent in his speeches, but he was still slow to shut down the state.  

> Ohio seem to have a mini-Trump, a septugerian Republican governor whose children hold lots of political positions. But Mike de Wine listened to his medical expert instead of his kids, and started closing the state down at the start of March.  

He was. But so was almost every nation in the world bar a few. They all should have closed down earlier. 

I don't think any/many? western developed nations prepared well in terms of developing tests and closing things down before cases started. They had to see the start of exponential rise before acting which is too late. The annoying thing is had he locked down the city and there were few deaths he'd be attacked for acting prematurely and costing the economy billions.

Post edited at 17:21
OP krikoman 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> He was. But so was almost every nation in the world bar a few. They all should have closed down earlier. 

> I don't think any/many? western developed nations prepared well in terms of developing tests and closing things down before cases started. They had to see the start of exponential rise before acting which is too late. The annoying thing is had he locked down the city and there were few deaths he'd be attacked for acting prematurely and costing the economy billions.

Aren't there still states which allow church congregations to take place, I can't see stopping them inhibiting the National economy, maybe the pockets of a few already rich people.

OP krikoman 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> I guess the advantage he has over a national government is he is not ultimately responsible. A general rather than a commander and therefore is not ultimately held to account for a lot of important stuff e.g. number of tests and ventilators.

The crazy thing is states are outbidding each other for PPE and other supplies, if nothing demonstrates the major flaw in private health care it's this.

Roadrunner6 07 Apr 2020
In reply to krikoman: yes, lock downs yet church services (I think Alabama or somewhere) allowed because they are an essential business..

but god protects.

Roadrunner6 07 Apr 2020
In reply to krikoman:

> The crazy thing is states are outbidding each other for PPE and other supplies, if nothing demonstrates the major flaw in private health care it's this.

And then feds seizing shipments the states have managed to order. 

Removed User 08 Apr 2020
In reply to krikoman:

> The crazy thing is states are outbidding each other for PPE and other supplies, if nothing demonstrates the major flaw in private health care it's this.

One of the criticisms of Trump is that he hasn't invoked the war powers act which would allow the federal government to take control of industries and dictate who gets what.

...one of the criticisms..

Post edited at 20:56
OP krikoman 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> but god protects.

so much so he didn't prevent the virus happening in the first place, or at least stopping it spreading.

It always makes me laugh the people who believe God created everything and being in control, then praying for thing to end. Surely, it's all in God's wondrous plan.

Still htat's another argument.

wbo2 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Removed User:> I guess the advantage he has over a national government is he is not ultimately responsible. A general rather than a commander and therefore is not ultimately held to account for a lot of important stuff e.g. number of tests and ventilators.

Actually he is responsible as it's a state by state admin and ordering issue.  The Federal government is only there to support the states.  That wasn't previously the case but the CDC changed it's website on Trumps behest last week to make sure there isn't comeback to the federal part (him)

OP krikoman 14 Apr 2020
In reply to wbo2:

> Actually he is responsible as it's a state by state admin and ordering issue.  The Federal government is only there to support the states.  That wasn't previously the case but the CDC changed it's website on Trumps behest last week to make sure there isn't comeback to the federal part (him)

Looks like Trumpton is squaring up for a battle with state governors over who's in charge.

Rob Exile Ward 14 Apr 2020
In reply to krikoman:

I felt very sorry the other day for someone who had just lost her husband - ' she said 'we are both Christians' but in such a forlorn way that you just knew she was by no means convinced that they'd see each other again.

neilh 14 Apr 2020
In reply to Removed User:

Bit more nuanced. He resisted the invoking of the Defense Production Act. The problem is that when it was invoked it meant that the likes of 3M and Honeywell had to favour the USA even in overseas countries where they manufactured PPE.This has created diplomatic turmoil with the likes of Canada and so on.I am not certain that Trump wanted to invoke it as his advisers could foresee the difficulties it created.

mondite 14 Apr 2020
In reply to neilh:

> Bit more nuanced. He resisted the invoking of the Defense Production Act. The problem is that when it was invoked it meant that the likes of 3M and Honeywell had to favour the USA even in overseas countries where they manufactured PPE.

Aside from it doesnt seem to demand that at all.

It allows for it to applied in stages and as appropriate. So was initially applied to GM and then a second phase to 3M and Honeywell. He had the option in how to apply the pressure.

neilh 14 Apr 2020
In reply to mondite:

I had the Defense Production Act imposed on my business by one of my customers in the US.......fascinating.

MarkH55 14 Apr 2020
In reply to krikoman:

Saw a fantastic example of how to communicate from the NZ PM as well

Roadrunner6 14 Apr 2020
In reply to krikoman:

> Looks like Trumpton is squaring up for a battle with state governors over who's in charge.

This is what is just so odd. Conservatives are all about states power, staying within the bounds of the constitution. Yet then they are happy for him to demand economy's open.

He even refused to close the economy's in the first place because it wasn't his place to tell Governor's what to do. Or more likely he didn't want to be the one negatively impacting the markets.

Scary time for the US tbh, you wonder how far this goes in future now. 

fred99 14 Apr 2020
In reply to neilh:

> I had the Defense Production Act imposed on my business by one of my customers in the US.......fascinating.

I hope you told them that you were only producing stuff for the defence of your OWN country.

OP krikoman 14 Apr 2020
In reply to MarkH55:

> Saw a fantastic example of how to communicate from the NZ PM as well

Aye, Cuomo, Jacinda Ardern and Nicola Sturgeon have both been impressive.

I saw Italy's PM on the other day, he seemed sincere and statesman like.

I'm sure there are many more good people around the world, maybe BoJo will have had a "Road to Damascus" moment over the Easter period.

OP krikoman 14 Apr 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Scary time for the US tbh, you wonder how far this goes in future now. 

Cuomo, said, he (Trumpton) wasn't the King, and there was a constitution he had to adhere to, meaning he was wrong.

Scary times indeed.

Hopefully, it's going to show people how shit the health care system is, and it needs to be about people and not money, but I'm not holding my breath.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...