National Album Day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 15 Oct 2019

Its National Album Day according to the BBC, who knew! Soooo whats your favourite album (one only) and can you still listen to it without expecting to hear that scratch on track 3 (even if you are streaming it!)

Some of my favourite pieces of music are pieces that I didn't really appreciate until I'd litened to an album a hundred times

Booooo to the cherry pickers and playlisters

aln 15 Oct 2019
In reply to GravitySucks:

Have you forgotten something? 

OP GravitySucks 15 Oct 2019
In reply to aln:

I was hoping you wouldn't notice, only an idiot could have only one favourite album I am constantly compiling my Desert Island Discs (all albums) and they change every week !

But dont let me stop you .....

Blue Straggler 15 Oct 2019

This is like National Book Week, there seems to be about 8 of them every year!

Blue Straggler 15 Oct 2019

> only an idiot could have only one favourite album

This makes your OP a troll. 

OP GravitySucks 15 Oct 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I wouldn't say 'troll' just a small omission !

This week it's been Megadeth - Rust In Peace. 1990 album that I loved when it came out. The first album with Marty Friedman on guitar. Some great songs (Hangar 18, Holy Wars, Rust in Peace) and one of my favourite metal guitar solos on Tornado of Souls. So much so, I have been watching punters on Youtube trying to play it and this was the best one I found 

youtube.com/watch?v=cMdIk0Z0rio& 

subtle 15 Oct 2019

This week, for me, its been Tiffany, by Tiffany

Iamgregp 15 Oct 2019

Like you say, hard to pick one, but right now Good Kid, Maad City by Kendrick Lamar is right up there for me.

Notable mention for Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde as I've loved that album for over 20 years now and never go off it.

In Utero by Nirvana is always up there...

I'd best stop now, I've already gone 2 over the requested amount.

XXXX 15 Oct 2019

This question is never about the best music, it's about where you were at the time, the social context, your age, your emotions and the connections you make with your past whilst listening.

For me it's OK Computer, an album that literally saved my life.

Gone for good 15 Oct 2019

An eclectic mix from me.

McAlmont and Butler - The sound of.

Bruce Springsteen - Born to run

Dexys -  One day I'm going to soar

Van Morrison - Veerdon Fleece

Leonard Cohen -  I'm your man.

Edit: If I had to pick one it would be McAlmont and Butler which my ex wife introduced me to in the mid to late 90s. It never fades with time and it brings back some very fond memories of that period of my life.

Post edited at 15:05
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Prob with Megadeth is that there's too much to choose from. I'm working at home at the moment while listening to Peace Sells but Whos Buying. Before that, it was the first album Killing is my Business which is my personal favourite.

Given how good Dystopia was, I've got high hopes for the new album when it comes out. Kiko seems to have brought some Marty Friedman back to the band, and Dirk Verburen is outstanding on drums. Going to see them in London in January!

SC 15 Oct 2019

I couldn't have a favourite for all occasions. My most played are probably

Joy as an act of resistance by Idles

Welcome to sky Valley by Kyuss

10,000 Days by Tool

King of cowards by Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs

Masters of reality by Black Sabbath

russellcampbell 15 Oct 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

Springsteen, Van Morrison and Leonard Cohen albums are belters. As said elsewhere, favourite album changes from time to time and often depends on circumstances etc. My favourite new album this year is "Stay Positive" by The Hold Steady which was going for 50p in a charity shop. [In an uncharacteristic piece of generosity I paid £1.]

mick taylor 15 Oct 2019
In reply to SC:

I love that Kyuss album.

yeti 15 Oct 2019

Right now it's Rammstein's untitled album, and no I don't speak German...

bouldery bits 15 Oct 2019

This week it is 'Since I left you' by the Avalanches.

mick taylor 15 Oct 2019

Like Clockwork, Queens of the Stoneage.  Or possibly LA Woman. Or that Fontaine’s DC album.  Or The Planets by Holst.  Or Goo or Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth.  Or or or .....

In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Worth checking this vid. Dave Ellefsons bar band playing The Conjouring and Peace Sells with Chris Poland guest guitar

BnB 15 Oct 2019

Impossible to settle on one album but whenever I’m driving across the highlands, which is often, then only one album will do, the sound, the look, the sensation of Scottish rain:

Darklands by The Jesus and Mary Chain

Bulls Crack 15 Oct 2019

Selling England by The Pound  - Genesis 

Transformer - Lou Reed

Tom Last 16 Oct 2019

Thunder and Consolation by New Model Army is always up there but recently Lost in a Dream by War On Drugs, I am Easy to Find, by The National and Hozier’s Wasteland, Baby! are all doing it for me. 

Andy Clarke 16 Oct 2019

All time favourite: Dylan: Blonde on Blonde

Current favourite: Fontaines DC: Dogrel

I have to add M83 - Hurry Up We're Dreaming to this list

Sublime

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...