Laptop Battery Died - Any Savvy Advice Please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 15 Mar 2020

Good Morning All,

I have a HP Pavillion Laptop, and its been perfect for the last two years (since new).I turned it off the other night (with approx 60% battery left). The next morning I went to turn it on and nothing. I plugged it on and when I turned it on, it gave me a blue screen telling me the battery had failed. All the time I used the laptop when plugged in the battery charge reads 0%, and doesn't charged.

So, is this an actual battery death (Seems so sudden with no warning) or is there some wierd bios thing that may be odd or something (I know nowt about this stuff).

I have looked at getting a new battery (it's a non removable battery but looks like it can be changed if i take the back off), but should I try find a genuine HP battery (proving difficult) or can anyone recommend a good place to get it from?

The laptop is a HP Pavilion X360 11-k007na by the way if that's any help.

Thanks

Frank

In reply to Frankie boy:

I had something similar with my Dell laptop. I bought a replacement but when I came to swap it out (following you tube videos, slightly technical) found a connection cable had somehow come loose and that was the only problem.

Martin W 15 Mar 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

> I had something similar with my Dell laptop. I bought a replacement but when I came to swap it out ... found a connection cable had somehow come loose and that was the only problem.

That would be my first suspicion if the battery had been fine and then suddenly went 100% u/s.  To the OP: rather than buy a new battery as a first resort, get the back off and check the connections on the existing one.

As for the battery being non-removable, IME laptops are reasonably straightforward to get in to provided that you can find the screws (at least one is usually hidden under a tamper-proof label, other can be concealed by body colour plugs) and you have the right screwdriver bits (eBay is a good source of odd-shaped bits - searching for "security bits" can often turn up the right ones).  Once inside, the service items like batteries, hard drives, screens etc usually have plug connectors which are relatively easy to disconnect and reconnect.  They're not like smartphones that need to have the cases prised carefully apart without breaking any of the clips, often after being heated with a hairdryer/heat gun to soften the glue, then re-sealed when you've finished the internal microsurgery - which all too often involves delicate soldering that is easy to mess up.

Push comes to shove, a reputable high street laptop repairer should be able to fit a new battery for not that much more than it would cost you to do - especially when you factor in your time that you could otherwise have spent climbing....

OP Frankie boy 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Martin W:

Thanks, I just had the back off and unplugged / replugged the battery cable. It seems solid enough. No joy though I'm afraid. I did notice when I started up the laptop (plugged in) that the clock is also now wrong, I'm guessing due to lack of internal power or possible because I unplugged and replugged the battery.

Anyways, I'm guessing it's a new battery needed so was wondering whether it's worth taking a punt on one from eBay / amazon or looking elsewhere

Thrudge 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Frankie boy:

> the clock is also now wrong

That sounds like a dead CMOS battery.  They're under a tenner on ebay and there's a 'how to' guide here:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gh1WDL5Kjkk&

Might be worth a try before replacing the main battery.

wercat 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Martin W:

>  100% u/s.

that dates you!

krikoman 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Frankie boy:

are you sure the charger is working?

Martin W 15 Mar 2020
In reply to krikoman:

According to the OP he's able to use the laptop when the charger is connected, which suggests that it is providing power.  A duff charger also wouldn't explain the battery dropping from 60% to zero overnight while powered off.  It might, however, explain damage to the battery.  Which could be a worry if considering replacing the battery...

Martin W 15 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

> >  100% u/s.

> that dates you!

Really?  What's the modern terminology - "Completely FUBARed"?  (Actually I think FUBAR dates back to WWII.)

krikoman 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Martin W:

fair enough, and you're correct. I missed that bit.

In reply to krikoman:

The charger/power supply is definitely working

In reply to Thrudge:

I wondered about that, but why would it show normal battery life at 0% and normal battery won't charge. The date was right but the clock had lost about 3 hours

wercat 15 Mar 2020
In reply to Martin W:

well it dates me too.  realistically, do any young people call something "unserviceable" any more?  I know they should - it's a great word.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...