Just 41000

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 10 Dec 2019

The number of tactical votes it would take to change the result of the election.

"Boris Johnson would be denied a majority on Thursday if just 41,000 people voted tactically in 36 seats that could swing the election, according to analysis released yesterday by Best for Britain, a campaign for a second referendum."

https://britainelects.newstatesman.com/2019/12/09/could-tactical-voting-rea...

NottsRich 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> "...if just 41,000 people voted tactically in 36 seats that could swing the election,..."

Which seats are they? You're link requires subscribing to see it.

felt 10 Dec 2019

I became so used to depressing election results in the 1980s and early 90s, and then more recently in UK elections and with the Brexit and Trump fiascos, that I've grown of necessity a bit fatalistic around election time and am confidently expecting the worst. So thanks for the glimmer of hope. Here in the N Devon constituency the Tories have a 4,000 maj that needs overturning, which certainly does seem doable, and there was even a leaflet from the not unlikeable Dr Sarah Wollaston (Totnes) pushed through the letterbox the other day. I don't care at all for the LDs, but they're the lesser of the two evils, no doubt about it, and hopefully will prevail here on the day.

Removed User 10 Dec 2019
In reply to NottsRich:

OK, sorry. Subscription is free but the article doesn't actually say.

If you look at the Hexagonal map here and click on the hexes you'll be able to find your constituency and how marginal it is if you're wondering about how you're going to vote. 

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2019/

Post edited at 14:06
 Timmd 10 Dec 2019

Fantastic, thanks. I shall share this on facebook.

Ecce Homer 10 Dec 2019

Surely that’s assuming that people who are going to vote tactically are going to do so for the party you would want them to?

Removed User 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Ecce Homer:

Read the quote again. It's clear enough.

Ecce Homer 10 Dec 2019

My point is, there’s likely to be plenty of people voting tactically in other seats to ensure there’s a pro-Brexit majority. Especially in the north where people couldn’t bring themselves to vote Tory, so would vote for Nige’s lot. I suspect things will very much balance themselves out.

Timmd 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Ecce Homer:

> My point is, there’s likely to be plenty of people voting tactically in other seats to ensure there’s a pro-Brexit majority. Especially in the north where people couldn’t bring themselves to vote Tory, so would vote for Nige’s lot. I suspect things will very much balance themselves out.

I've come across (via the media) Labour voters talking about voting Conservative because of Brexit. 

Post edited at 14:51
 Ecce Homer 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Timmd:

In that case 41,000 in 36 constituencies seems woefully inadequate.

Le Sapeur 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Timmd:

I find it difficult to understand why some people think tactical voting will just be flowing in one direction during this election. Like you, via the media, I have heard of many Labour voters switching sides. 

Timmd 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Possible it's more along the lines of 'If you want X to happen, do this' I'm thinking.

Ecce Homer 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Timmd:

And many in the North want Brexit to happen and the Tories are the only main party offering this. If they don’t stand a chance then I expect the Brexit Party will pick up many voters instead.

This is a one issue election for millions. When and if Brexit gets done I expect many will return to their traditional base, but they are prepared to hold their noses this Thursday.

Sorry if this offends the UKC populace. It’s just reality.

Post edited at 15:59
 LakesWinter 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Ecce Homer:

If you live in the north and vote for brexit, that's crazy imho. The tories hate the north, hence spending about 90p per head on public transport investment in the north east over the last 10 years and hundreds per head in London. Without the EU regional development fund the north east is screwed as once the tories have your votes they won't keep a single promise

Removed User 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Timmd:

> Possible it's more along the lines of 'If you want X to happen, do this' I'm thinking.

Exactly.

It shows you how best to use your vote.

Lusk 10 Dec 2019

Do you think there are 41,000 voters with half a brain out there?
I'm lost for words when I see lifelong Labour voters in these 'safe' Labour saying they're going to vote Con because they like Johnson and don't want Corbyn in.
Why do you think you're in the shit these days?!?!?!

mullermn 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Lusk:

> I'm lost for words when I see lifelong Labour voters in these 'safe' Labour saying they're going to vote Con because they like Johnson and don't want Corbyn in.

The fact is this has been known for years.. not the liking Johnson bit, but the Corbyn being an electoral liability bit.

Unfortunately the Labour Party decided to try and call the electorate’s bluff - ‘oh you may say you will never vote for our guy, but we don’t think you mean it’.  Well, it turns out they did. As they have been saying for years.

The conservatives haven’t won this election, the Labour Party have pissed it away in arrogant belief that because it’s their turn to be in government now they don’t have to try. 

aln 10 Dec 2019

Is it possible to vote tactically in Scotland, given that SNP currently dominate, and polls suggest it'll stay that way? 

Harry Jarvis 10 Dec 2019
In reply to aln:

> Is it possible to vote tactically in Scotland, given that SNP currently dominate, and polls suggest it'll stay that way? 

It depends on your constituency. I live in a constituency which is currently Conservative, but was SNP before that (serial party-swapper Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh). I wouldn't normally vote SNP, but I have done so this time to do what I can to oust the incumbent Tory. Every little helps. 

aln 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> It depends on your constituency. I live in a constituency which is currently Conservative. I'm W Fife/Dunfermline, SNP. Where are you? 

Harry Jarvis 10 Dec 2019
In reply to aln:

I'm in Ochil and South Perthshire. A Tory majority of just over 3000 in 2017, being fought over quite hard by SNP and Tory. It could go either way. 

Le Sapeur 10 Dec 2019
In reply to aln:

> Is it possible to vote tactically in Scotland, given that SNP currently dominate, and polls suggest it'll stay that way? 

I think many people are tactically voting Conservative in Scotland to keep out the SNP. 

Timmd 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Ecce Homer:

> And many in the North want Brexit to happen and the Tories are the only main party offering this. If they don’t stand a chance then I expect the Brexit Party will pick up many voters instead.

> This is a one issue election for millions. When and if Brexit gets done I expect many will return to their traditional base, but they are prepared to hold their noses this Thursday.

> Sorry if this offends the UKC populace. It’s just reality.

It doesn't offend me. I'm in some agreement BTW, about how 'darkly' some on here can paint those they don't agree with. I think care needs to be taken between talking about the very stark downturn in quality of living in several instances under the Conservatives, and calling people who vote Conservatives 'plankers'.  The same goes for Labour voters too, of course, or Brexit voters. I think Brexit is 'a fucking stupid idea' beyond any I've come across, but with a Brexit voter among the people I've gone on walking holidays with (who is on the outer edges of the crowd over the years) I'd not paint him as some kind of dreadful person, kinda odd like many of us are, and wrong as far as I'm concerned, but decent enough - not the bigoted racist that some paint Brexit voters as on here.

Post edited at 17:35
 aln 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Another newish constituency that I didn't know existed. Ochil sounds weird, having known the Ochils my whole life. 

aln 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

> I think many people are tactically voting Conservative in Scotland to keep out the SNP. 

Aye right. 

aln 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Ecce Homer:

> Brexit gets done

Does posting Dominic's buzz phrase mantra not make you feel dirty? 

Toerag 10 Dec 2019

> "Boris Johnson would be denied a majority on Thursday if just 41,000 people voted tactically in 36 seats that could swing the election, according to analysis released yesterday by Best for Britain, a campaign for a second referendum."

How many pro-Brexit voters would it take to make it go the other way though?

Removed User 10 Dec 2019
In reply to aln:

To add to what the others have said it seems a lot of Tory voters will be voting Lib Dem in Ian Blackford's constituency which was Charles Kennedy's before 2015 in order to get rid of him.

Check the link I posted for your own constituency and see how close things are.

aln 10 Dec 2019

Good link. SNP here. Surprised that Cons are 2nd.

Le Sapeur 10 Dec 2019
In reply to aln:

No need to be surprised.

This is how Scotland voted in the 2017 general election. 

SNP  977,569

Conservative   757,949

Labour   717,007

Lib Dems  179,061

To say  'aye right' to non Tories voting Tory to keep out the SNP is burying your head in the sand. 

aln 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

> non Tories voting Tory to keep out the SNP is burying your head in the sand. 

How many non Tory's are doing that? 

Le Sapeur 10 Dec 2019
In reply to aln:

> How many non Tory's are doing that? 

aln 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

> 41,001.

That's funny you fashionable young man. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...