James Lovelock RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 27 Jul 2022

Sorry to hear James Lovelock has died age 103, his inventions have had a massive impact on our understanding of the Earth and our impact. His ideas about Gaia, although I suspect often misunderstood, have also been influential.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/27/james-lovelock-obituary 

In reply to Doug:

A remarkable life, for sure.

Tringa 27 Jul 2022
In reply to Doug:

Yes, sad to hear. Perhaps we would be in a better state in the world now if we had heeded him in the past.

Dave 

Rob Exile Ward 27 Jul 2022
In reply to Doug:

Extraordinary bloke - but I've never been quite sure, was he also the climber James Lovelock, who wrote an instruction book and went to the Himalayas?

Sean Kelly 28 Jul 2022
In reply to Doug:

Well he was at Manchester University so I'm pretty certain it was he. Also wrote caving books. I think he was a member of the University climbing club at the time. I'm sure I  have read some of his articles. Incredible varied life.

He had a shed at the bottom of his garden where he could tinker to satisfy his inquiring mind. Also worked at NASA in the early days before his Gaia hypothesis was published.

Post edited at 10:44
 Sean Kelly 28 Jul 2022
In reply to Doug:

I forgot to add that he walked the South West Coast Path in 1999 with his wife when he was 80.  All 630 miles of it. No mean achievement!

Further enquiries reval that he was not the author mentioned above, that was Jim Lovelock. My mistake.

Post edited at 11:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...