Installing Solar Panels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Annlodge 13 Sep 2023

Whats your thoughts on installing solar panels for residential and  commercial properties in Wales?

montyjohn 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Annlodge:

That's an open question so no idea what answer you're looking for.

If it's a property you are likely to own for 10 year+ and it has a suitable non-north facing roof then in most cases it makes good financial sense.

Top tip, if you have a southwest facing roof, then you can get pretty good export rates in the afternoon peak in the summer.

In reply to Annlodge:

I'll repeat what I always say on this. Feel free to ignore...

You could invest in someone else's solar panels and batteries and have your money back (give or take) whenever you like but make ~7% in the meantime. 

I did the maths for my situation and concluded that solar panels on your own roof is about the least cost effective way to contribute solar capacity to the grid. Your cash buys the planet twice as many kW invested in a big scheme, or ETF that funds big schemes. So I did that.

montyjohn 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> You could invest in someone else's solar panels and batteries and have your money back (give or take) whenever you like but make ~7% in the meantime. 

In terms of personal gain, I think the two options are broadly similar.

If we assume your 5kw system on your house costs £10k and pays for itself in 10 years, then you're saving £1000 a year. If it lasts 30 years, then you're £30k better off (minus 10k for your investment).

Put £10k in at 7% and over 30 years that's £21k, so broadly similar.

I've heard of payback times of less than 10 years. And more.

But I would still favour my own system.

• Pending apocalypse, nice to have your own supply. Or maybe just resilience to power cuts.
  • No guarantee that 7% will continue long-term
  • No guarantee you can get your money back if you choose to sell
  • Coupled with a battery and flexi tariffs for export, you can get really short pay backs that significantly outweigh a return of 7%
  • Protection from further energy price hikes. It could go the other way, but I doubt it.
 john arran 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Annlodge:

> Whats your thoughts on installing solar panels for residential and  commercial properties in Wales?

I have a feeling that another freshly registered use will be along shortly with a very pertinent link for the edification of us all.

montyjohn 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> Yes but not before a usual suspect with an opinion on everything gives his two pennysworth.  

Is there something you would like to say loud and clearly, or are you going to continue to hide behind childish slimy comments such as this?

Is there something specific in this thread you would like to discuss perhaps?

I think your comments says more about you than it does me. 

Perhaps you've realised it now since you've deleted your comment. But I still read it, so here's my response.

Pedro50 13 Sep 2023
In reply to montyjohn:

Yes I did think better of it. Apologies.

montyjohn 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Thanks, appreciate it. Sorry if I over reacted.

Ciro 13 Sep 2023

Is that making 7% above inflation, or just 7% and therefore a loss at current rates?

Our solar system will be producing more than our energy requirements for a large part of the year (and that will extend as we retrofit further insulation and other energy saving measures). It will continue to do so regardless of what happens with inflation and global energy prices.

I'd be astonished if, over it's lifetime, it didn't turn out to be far more beneficial than putting the money into an investment returning 7%.

dread-i 13 Sep 2023

>or ETF that funds big schemes. So I did that.

I like the idea, but which one? Clean energy stock are getting hammered.

In reply to john arran:

The OP isn't a new user but granted, it is an odd way to open a thread!

Post edited at 17:39
 john arran 13 Sep 2023
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> The OP isn't a new user.

I'm prepared to be corrected, but I still think it unlikely.

In reply to montyjohn:

Panels are so cheap these days, it actually costs more for the mounting hardware for a roof than it does for the panels.

410W panels are £99+VAT.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...