Ingenuity

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

What's going on here then? I thought it was due to fly last Monday?

Admittedly, flying in 1% of Earths atmosphere AND on Mars - it should have probably have been called Preposterous

I am intrigued though, what's the story? 

I think this partly answers my question https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/status/292/working-the-challeng...

Outrageous.

wercat 19 Apr 2021
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

hurrah! even if the speaker was unintelligible.

Post edited at 12:02
In reply to wercat:

Audacious! They did it. Bravo!!! 

Toerag 19 Apr 2021

That'll make the UK fishing rod manufacturer who made the rotor blades very happy!

Lankyman 19 Apr 2021

> Audacious! They did it. Bravo!!! 

More bloody drones in the Martian hills

In reply to Lankyman:

Interesting philosophical question: If a drone flies on a planet where there's nobody to hear it is it still a f*#£ing annoying noise?

arch 19 Apr 2021
In reply to Toerag:

> That'll make the UK fishing rod manufacturer who made the rotor blades very happy!

Which company was that ??

wercat 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

I look forward to a series  of "Hunted"  where the fugitives are pursued over the surface of Mars

neilh 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Do you know the manufacturing process-very intrigued.

I wounder if they are a braided carbon fibre tube squashed flat ( like as you say a carbon pole from fishing).

Here's a good video on some of the technical difficulties of flying the chopper in the thin atmosphere on Mars and indeed testing it on Earth. The rotor speed is 5-6 times faster than a Earth copter.

youtube.com/watch?v=GhsZUZmJvaM&

wbo2 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH: I'm sure the lack of wind resistance helps with the spin speed , although is obviously THE big problem here, but how audacious (in a positive way) to even think of taking a drone to another planet

Toerag 20 Apr 2021
In reply to arch & neilh:

> Which company was that ??

Century Composites in the north-east. Publicly they make high-performance fishing rods but less publicly they make parts for F1 cars and other industries. They use 'spread tow' carbonfibre with graphene-infused resin and autoclave the items under pressure as well as temperature to eliminate voids in the matrix.  Graphene-infused resins are the current step-change in fibre-reinforced composite performance allowing increased strength, stiffness, toughness and reduced weight.  Spread tow is either cloth pre-preg, or directly wound, I don't know what they'd have used for the rotors as they use both methods on their rods. It's essentially flat bundles of fibres rather than round threads which results in up to 20% increase in stiffness due to less 'crimp' as the fibres cross each other.

https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/the-spread-of-spread-tow

Post edited at 11:15
 arch 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Toerag:

They’ve bought out some Graphene rods, very expensive.

neilh 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Toerag:

I suspect that Manchester uni are heavily involved somewhere.. Composites centre there which is part of their  former textiles department. So obvious link to graphene at Manchester.

This sort of process shas been going on along time in fishing rod world, think it started with glass fibre rods and just has developed form there.So its an extension of that I guess.

Fascinating.

Carbon is mutlifilament ( always has been) and has never been round like a monofilament.So its always flat so to speak.

wercat 20 Apr 2021
In reply to neilh:

not to forget Durham, just up the road - I'm sure I saw something written up  about graphene spinoffs there

neilh 20 Apr 2021
In reply to wercat:

not in the same league in textile processing

In reply to wbo2:

> I'm sure the lack of wind resistance helps with the spin speed , although is obviously THE big problem here, but how audacious (in a positive way) to even think of taking a drone to another planet

Would be even more positive if they could take all of them.

petemeads 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Given the rotor speed,  I'm surprised there is no blurring in the shadow image - shutter speed (or the electronic equivalent) would have to be 1/20,000 sec or faster I reckon. An ideal image for the conspiracy theorists / denialists!

Toerag 20 Apr 2021
In reply to neilh:

> This sort of process has been going on along time in fishing rod world, think it started with glass fibre rods and just has developed form there.So its an extension of that I guess.

Resin reinforcement has been done for years - Daiwa were using SiC 'whiskers' in their 'Whisker Kevlar' range in the mid 80's. Graphene seems to be a better ingredient to do so, and its amazing how big an effect such a small percentage dose has.

> Carbon is mutlifilament ( always has been) and has never been round like a monofilament.So its always flat so to speak.

yes, but spread tows are flatter than the 'bundles' normally used in CFRP - bad description on my part .

Post edited at 18:37
 neilh 21 Apr 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Goes back far longer than the 80's.

60's easily, just less well known.

I have amongst my textile processing literature an informative guide by one Atkins & Pearce  illustrating some of the processes which were being played around with over in the States.

There was alo quite a bit of experemental stuff being done in the UK thta got  shelved as there were not good enough manufacturing processes back then.

I am on the periphery of this, not really my area.

Post edited at 09:53
In reply to petemeads:

I'm not sure about the mechanics of that tbh. The motors on some multi-rotors can spin a lot faster though. Like over 12,000 RPM on the small DJI drones.

Jamie Wakeham 21 Apr 2021

A point made to me on a different social media channel: there is one (known) living person who witnessed the first powered flight upon both Earth and Mars.

Lankyman 21 Apr 2021
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> A point made to me on a different social media channel: there is one (known) living person who witnessed the first powered flight upon both Earth and Mars.

What? Do you mean the Kittyhawk flight in 1903 and this drone on Mars? If this person had just been born on the beach and saw the Wright flight then they'd be at least 117 years old.

In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> Interesting philosophical question: If a drone flies on a planet where there's nobody to hear it is it still a f*#£ing annoying noise?

Now you are asking.

My guess is it is a much less annoying noise, possibly to the point where it is no longer f*cking annoying.  The volume will drop off faster with distance due to Mars' atmosphere being so thin.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/224870/sound-propagation-at-low...

It's also going to be a higher pitched noise because the rotor is going about 6 x faster than a drone on earth.

Jamie Wakeham 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Exactly so.

wintertree 27 Apr 2021

Video from the latest flight, along with a ground shot from the helicopter.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasa-s-ingenuity-mars-helicopter-flies-fas...

It does raise the question, who is the regulatory body for atmospheric flight on Mars?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...