How would they know ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://news.sky.com/story/half-of-men-think-its-more-difficult-to-be-male-...

How would they know ?  Totally meaningless result

In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Indeed. What are their complaints, I wonder?

elsewhere 19 Nov 2018

I expect they asked a sample of men what those men think.

> Totally meaningless result

As a result about how men perceive the world it has meaning.

Dax H 20 Nov 2018

I would say that both sexes have it far easier today than they did in the past. It's not that long ago that men were working down the pit or in a shit hole factory for 12 hours a day 6 days a week just to put food on the table (yes some women did this too) . No safety or job security and if you couldn't or didn't work no safety net of unemployment benefits. 

Gone for good 20 Nov 2018

Ha. You've got to laugh. How many men now days have to work the land without machinery, go to war with a sword or bow and arrow as their only weapons and effectively live a life of serfdom. If you were lucky you lived to 45 and probably suffered a nasty disease and painful death.

What's the matter with these people? Did they run out of their favourite hair gel?

XXXX 20 Nov 2018
In reply to Gone for good:

My dad didn't work the land without tools, he had an office job until 3 years ago when he retired in his 60s in good health.

What the living f*ck are you talking about?

Gone for good 20 Nov 2018
In reply to XXXX:

Errr .....the headline? 

It's more difficult being a man now than in the past?

Who pissed on your cornflakes?

DerwentDiluted 20 Nov 2018

Well, as I see it those respondents only need to wait a few years. Rising sea levels, desertification, pollution, antibiotic resistance, wars for water, social inequality, mass population movements, automation etc will restore the halcyon living standards of the 1820's.

Post edited at 08:09
In reply to XXXX:

Doesn't mean everyone's Dad enjoyed the same benefits as your own.  

T.

jethro kiernan 20 Nov 2018

It’s quite obvious that being a manly man is a lot harder nowadays 

Punching someone’s teeth out outside the pub to impress your date is frowned upon

Getting ahead in work by bullying and hazing and acting the alpha male its your right to be is curtailed by all sorts of draconian employment laws

The right to flirt with females by physically imposing yourself on them  #metoo again curtailed

the right to have the pick of jobs (nursing and teaching aside they are not manly)is curtailed as apparently they don’t just belong to white males.

its tough being a man nowadays 

all joking aside side we are in a period of societal change and this shouldn’t be ignored totally, there are those who are being left behind especially in communities that relied on “masculine” industries such as fishing, mining, shipbuilding and heavy manufacturing. As a country we are very harsh at cutting these industries off at the knees with no period of transition. This leaves communities with the double problem of real financial hardship and feeling of disconnect with the modern world or the “metropolitan elite” as they are sometimes known as.

that doesn’t excuse the extrem end of incels and Conner mcgregor worshiping fools 

Post edited at 08:31
XXXX 20 Nov 2018
In reply to Gone for good:

The past doesn't have to mean 1638, I imagine most people were looking at their parents. 

krikoman 20 Nov 2018
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> Indeed. What are their complaints, I wonder?

Ask Arthur Seaton, he'll tell how hard things were.

As for myself:-

It's harder to come home stinking of smoke.

It's harder to get 4 pints and a packet of tabs out of a pound note.

I can't seem to find fish and chips in a newspaper, anywhere nowadays.

I haven't been thrown in the parks' rose bushes by a bunch of older lads either.

Happy days1

Jon Stewart 20 Nov 2018
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Good, balanced, post. 

pasbury 20 Nov 2018

> https://news.sky.com/story/half-of-men-think-its-more-difficult-to-be-male-...

> How would they know ?  Totally meaningless result

Well I was a man in the past myself! And my dad was one - I knew about his life quite well.

So yes one can make judgements up to a point.

jkarran 20 Nov 2018

> How would they know ?

The obvious answer is that most men today were also men in the past, they remember how being a man in the past was and can compare it with their experience of being a man today.

jk

john arran 20 Nov 2018

The glaring omission appears to be that there's no definition of what people are specifically being asked when they're asked to judge the difficulty of "being male"; this could relate to all sorts of things such as career opportunities, sexuality, home life, parenting, etc., and the answers received are likely to be dependent on the context in which the questions are being asked. Nor is there any reasonably specified reference against which they are being asked to compare, just the extremely woolly "previous generations", which could mean anything from parents' age to maybe Victorian times, to different respondents.

If you ask nonsense questions, it's hardly surprising you won't get great answers.

Of course, they may have been specified quite well during the poll and it's just the reporting of the results that's omitted these important elements, but that seems unlikely given the way the article has been presented.

Stichtplate 20 Nov 2018

Isn’t the result simply highlighting that the modern male feels more empowered to express emotion/express dissatisfaction/whinge?

IJL99 20 Nov 2018

My grandfather and great grandfather has to spend several years dealing with uppity Germans.  My own Father could recall rationing.  Compared to them I have a fairly easy life.  My son perhaps aims higher he views a lack of wifi as an assault on his human right.

In reply to Stichtplate:

> Isn’t the result simply highlighting that the modern male feels more empowered to express emotion/express dissatisfaction/whinge?

Probably but in comparison to our forefathers we have it pretty easy IMHO.   With no direct knowledge of living in the past they can't make the case.

In reply to jkarran:

> The obvious answer is that most men today were also men in the past, they remember how being a man in the past was and can compare it with their experience of being a man today.

> jk

So your saying reincarnation is the answer ? 

Post edited at 19:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...