Help! No Earth wire on light but house has one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 23 Nov 2019

I’ve just bought a new LED light for my bathroom and it doesn’t have an earth wire but my house does and so did my last light.

The instructions just say connect the live to the live and neutral to the neutral which I know but not seen this set up before.

The light also has a Dimmable LED driver inside and that has a wire going from it into a little plastic box which just hangs free.

Post edited at 14:18
 Timmd 23 Nov 2019
In reply to andyd1970:

I think took the approach of not worrying about what wasn't there, when I had a situation similar to that to do with not having an earth. It was for my cellar light after I'd head butted the bulb and broke the fitting. 

Post edited at 14:25
OP andyd1970 23 Nov 2019
In reply to Timmd:

Hi Tim

Read on a few forums that there is no requirement for an earth but didn’t know what I should do with the loose wire coming from the house 

wintertree 23 Nov 2019
In reply to andyd1970:

Did you buy it from a reputable vendor or from one of several well known online marketplaces?  The later have all sorts of horrifically non-compliant electronics imported from abroad.

What you describe sounds like a “double insulated” appliance - perfectly normal if standards compliant - https://www.gcsescience.com/pe38.htm

Assuming the earth is in a normal 3-core cable I would trim it back to the end of the insulation and leave it, it protects against damage to the cable still.

Post edited at 14:41
 Mark Edwards 23 Nov 2019
In reply to andyd1970:

Probably it doesn’t have an earth wire as it’s double insulated and doesn’t need one, so just tape it up so it doesn’t accidently touch anything. One wire to the little box? Is it one wire or one cable? How many terminals are inside the little box? Without knowing more about the light I can’t guess which protocol it uses but if it’s designed to fail safe it should come on full if there is no dim signal.

OP andyd1970 23 Nov 2019
In reply to Mark Edwards:

Hi Mark

Hi Mark

One cable sorry.

OP andyd1970 23 Nov 2019
In reply to wintertree:

Hi 

Got it from next

DancingOnRock 23 Nov 2019
In reply to andyd1970:

As others have said. You can trim the copper back to the insulation and tape ovsr the end. 
But I would put it in a single terminal block to stop it touching a live connection. Over time the tape can dry out and unwrap itself. 

arch 23 Nov 2019
In reply to andyd1970:

The light is what's called "Double Insulated" There should be a double square box symbol on it, one smaller that the other, one inside the other. As others have said, just bend or cut the earth out of the way.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=double+insulated+symbol&rlz=1C2CHBD_e...

Timmd 23 Nov 2019
In reply to DancingOnRock:

That's a very good tip.

OP andyd1970 23 Nov 2019
In reply to andyd1970:

Guys 

Thanks for all the support as it’s up and put the earth in a single terminal block.

much appreciated 

Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...