Happy Lancashire Day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 27 Nov 2020

Happy Lancashire Day everyone - including people from Yorkshire - I’m spreading the love - even to lovers of sheep

Post edited at 10:46
 Rob Exile Ward 27 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

'Happy' and 'Lancashire' in the same sentence? There's a first.

The New NickB 27 Nov 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> 'Happy' and 'Lancashire' in the same sentence? There's a first.

I think you need this:

youtube.com/watch?v=qfXjDELeW5M&

In the spirit of Mick’s post, I’ve included a Yorkshireman.

In reply to mick taylor:

Mick, can you name all 10 Lancastrians with a (football) World Cup Winner’s medal?

mick taylor 27 Nov 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

> Mick, can you name all 10 Lancastrians with a (football) World Cup Winner’s medal?

Only with the help of google. 
Impressive fact is though!

Lankyman 27 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> Happy Lancashire Day everyone - including people from Yorkshire - I’m spreading the love - even to lovers of sheep

I'd have celebrated with a mug of Yorkshire tea but I've run out and forgot to take my wallet to work.

marsbar 27 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

http://www.forl.co.uk/lancashire-miscellany/7-wonders-of-lancashire

My Grandad was most annoyed at attempts to change the county boundaries and refused to acknowledge them.  

Bacon Butty 27 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Black pudding butties for us tea then.

mick taylor 27 Nov 2020
In reply to marsbar:

That’s well good!  Many folk don’t know what Lancashire used to include. That’s a good summary. 

In reply to mick taylor:

> That’s well good!  Many folk don’t know what Lancashire used to include. That’s a good summary. 

Still does include Mick, still does!

Lankyman 27 Nov 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Even as a Lancastrian I think it's a bit rich to include the Lakes as a wonder of Lancashire as we had to share it with Cumberland and Westmorland? A little known fact is that Lancashire had the bulk of the shoreline of Windermere (about three quarters?) but the bed of the lake was all in Westmorland. So as soon as you went for a dip you'd potentially move between counties. That would have thrown up a potential covid quandary.

peppermill 27 Nov 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> My Grandad was most annoyed at attempts to change the county boundaries and refused to acknowledge them.  

Like they did to get Sheffield to fit into S. Yorks? 

Don't get me wrong, I loved living there but it's not really Yorkshire.....;p

marsbar 27 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I have one parent from each so Windermere  is mine

Post edited at 19:09
 marsbar 27 Nov 2020
In reply to peppermill:

Historically as far back as I have seen Sheffield is just inside the Yorkshire West Riding Boundary.  

Where else would it have been?  It's not in Derbyshire.  Although it looks like Dore was.  

Post edited at 19:23
 Tom Valentine 27 Nov 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Yorkshire did lose parts of its Ridings after Maud  but in terms of acreage i think Lancashire probably lost a lot more.( As one born and brought up in Saddleworth, the snobbish side of me would rather have gone over to Lancashire proper instead of  Greater Manchester)

And to Peppermil, how on earth is Sheffield not Yorkshire? You'll be saying Barnsley's one of the Home Counties next.

marsbar 27 Nov 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Greater Manchester isn't a thing in my Grandad's view so call it Lancashire if you like

In reply to marsbar:

Lancashire is a made up county - invented in the 1200's as a symbol of Norman imperialism over the Cumbrians. 

mick taylor 27 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

And St Helens beat Wigan, both Lancashire clubs. And a friend of my sons scored the winning try!  It’s a win win win !!! (I’m a Leyther exiled to Wigan, so not that fussed). 

Tom Valentine 27 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

I was born and lived  in the West Riding but for seven years walked into Lancashire to attend school. Added to which at least three generations of my forbears were born in Hindley.

So I have some sympathy with your plight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...