Graveyard tradition/ superstition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 22 Sep 2023

I was out on a run today and came across an old ruined chapel and graveyard. It's very scenic and well maintained. St Bride's chapel near Loch Gair in mid Argyll. 

When you go in, there is a round by flat-ish rock on top of the chapel wall and a brass sign under it saying "Turn the stone on entering the graveyard"

I assume some sort of superstition, but not one I have ever heard of. Anyone got any ideas as to why and what exactly the superstition is?

ExiledScot 22 Sep 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

Some religions have a thing of putting a small stone on a tomb or grave when you visit, so if others visit it shows they aren't alone in paying their respects. Obviously that's not the same thing though as your stone turning. 

Lankyman 22 Sep 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

I was there in 2010 during a nice walk along the shore through Ardcastle Forest. We wandered around the graveyard but didn't see any stone or accompanying notice. I don't think I've been particularly unlucky since then. But you never know - did you turn the stone?

OP girlymonkey 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

The sign does look quite clean, so maybe fairly recent.

Yes, I did turn it. I do as I am told! 😜

It is a lovely wee bit of woodland, one which I plan to visit more often

ThunderCat 23 Sep 2023
In reply to ExiledScot:

> Some religions have a thing of putting a small stone on a tomb or grave when you visit, so if others visit it shows they aren't alone in paying their respects. Obviously that's not the same thing though as your stone turning. 

I've not heard of that.  But it sounds quite nice / respectful.

Billhook 23 Sep 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

Living in rural Eire I once came across an old shell of a medieval church with ancient gravestones and overgrown graves.  Off to one side was the most amazing sheet of rock with a circle of 12 hollows in the stone.  Along with a large hollow in the centre of the circle all the hollows contained a single stone., averaging the size of a large apple or orange.

On enquiring later I was told these were locally known as the "cursing stones". Should you wish to make something happen you turned each stone in its hollow. 

Lankyman 23 Sep 2023
In reply to Billhook:

> On enquiring later I was told these were locally known as the "cursing stones". Should you wish to make something happen you turned each stone in its hollow. 

Here's an example of cursing stones from Co. Sligo https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/305602

The locals obviously had lots to get off their chests.

freeflyer 23 Sep 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

Search spinning prayer wheel.

I suspect it's a very very very old custom.

OP girlymonkey 23 Sep 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

I asked about it on a local history group on Facebook. 

Apparently it is so that the evil spirits don't follow you into the graveyard and disturb the souls of the dead. It seems to just be a local tradition for that graveyard.

Billhook 23 Sep 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

https://roaringwaterjournal.com/tag/cursing-stones/

Here's some excellent Irish ones, some of which I've visited when I lived there.   By far the most spectacular one is the one at Priests  Leap in the photographs. Its very difficult to find as is quite hidden.  

Many of these are close to ancient churches, some are inside the church grounds.  I assume given both Scotland & Eire are, or were Celtic then they served the same purpose.

Post edited at 19:37
 Lankyman 23 Sep 2023
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Apparently it is so that the evil spirits don't follow you into the graveyard and disturb the souls of the dead. It seems to just be a local tradition for that graveyard.

I car camped by an Argyll graveyard back in May. As dusk fell a flickering light appeared to be dancing around one of the headstones. I gathered my courage and got out of the car to investigate. It was one of those solar powered candle lights. Not one of the souls of the dead unfortunately. I do like wandering around graveyards reading the inscriptions. Sometimes you can read more of their stories online.

Ridge 23 Sep 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> Here's an example of cursing stones from Co. Sligo https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/305602

> The locals obviously had lots to get off their chests.

Those aren't cursing stones.

This is a cursing stone:

https://www.futilitycloset.com/2013/10/08/the-cursing-stone/

Maggot 23 Sep 2023
In reply to Ridge:

Hmm, I think that is particularly applicable to a current political party in this here country!

pencilled in 23 Sep 2023
In reply to Maggot:

The Cursative Party?

Lankyman 24 Sep 2023
In reply to Ridge:

> Those aren't cursing stones.

> This is a cursing stone:

Whatever happened to 'Love thy neighbour as thyself'?

McHeath 24 Sep 2023
In reply to Ridge:

Impressive, but maybe difficult to turn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...