GPS Mapping app in a post ViewRanger world. What works for you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jimfandango 17 Sep 2021

So ViewRanger has finally shut me out after my subscription expired and left me with a headache of what to replace it with.

I basically want something that will do everything the ViewRanger did. What out there compares the best?

So far have looked at Gaia, Anquet, and Backcountry Navigator. On first impressions they are all ok but seem to lack something. Gaia doesn't appear to have OS maps (even on subscription) and BCN lacks a desktop version that makes planning and browsing much easier. I'm happy to pay a fee comparable to ViewRanger. The review of Outdoor active are pretty bad. So far BCN is in the lead. I'm considering trying the OS Maps app next.

Is there out there can do OS mapping, with decent plotting functionality and offline capability? Ideally there would be a compatible desktop version too but I can cope with using something different and exporting gpx files I suppose.

Cheers

kwoods 17 Sep 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

You suddenly realise how much Viewranger did when there's nothing about that'll replace it.

Seems like an opportunity for app developers out there, if they can source OS tiles....?

Gareth 17 Sep 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

Outdooractive?

Garethza 17 Sep 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

I have used Gaia extensively and it works really well. The lack of OS maps has never been a problem, in fact i generally find trail markings are more up to date with the open source map set - but that's just me. The offline / map download function is very useful as you can just select the area you need and download it the day before. 

OP jimfandango 17 Sep 2021

Gaia fell at the first hurdle for me. On the default map in the free version, none of my local footpaths appear. If that is the case for me, on a wider scale, I assume there must be many hundreds of miles of footpath not mapped.

Or am I doing something wrong? My guess was that because there is no online community to record them the will never be mapped.

For me, OS maps are unsurpassed.

Am I correct in thinking OS maps are not available at all on any version of Gaia?

Post edited at 11:52
OP jimfandango 17 Sep 2021
In reply to kwoods:

Are they moving away from OS because it demands a levy and Open Source is basically free? I can't believe there isn't a customer base willing to take on that extra cost?

EdS 17 Sep 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

If the OS where on their game there would be a goid business opportunity to upgrade their app. 

RedFive 17 Sep 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

I've never paid for a subscription with Viewranger but been using it for years and years. I just buy blocks of credits to purchase map tiles on a PAYG basis and did so just a few days ago with no problem.

I did link my account with Outdooractive, but within seconds took a huge dislike to the platform so have never been back. 90% of my viewing of Viewranger is on Apple app, 10% on PC and both still work fine.

I plot routes using this https://www.walklakes.co.uk/ (well worth a donation, and covers whole of Uk not just Lakes) as they have full 1:25000 OS maps. I then import onto Fenix 6 watch and Viewranger via PC. Sync with app and then good to go.

Are you saying my ability to use the Viewranger app this way will cease soon?

Siward 17 Sep 2021
In reply to RedFive:

Yes I can still use Viewranger in the way you describe, on a tile by tile basis.

Were that to stop well, I have a couple of carrier bags full of OS maps  

GEd_83 17 Sep 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

I've used the OS app for the past 4-5 years, never had any problems with it, and it does the job as required, for a cheap enough price.

Garethza 17 Sep 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

Try the 'OpenCycleMap' or the 'Outdoors' or 'Gaia Topo'. They should have all the paths on them

Post edited at 12:56
 StuDoig 17 Sep 2021
In reply to Gareth:

I had a look at the free 3 monnth pro offer and thought it had horrible interfaces compared to viewranger and unfortunately doesn't support OS grid refs even with OS maps loaded which is a big functionality gap for me.

Cheers,

Stu

StuDoig 17 Sep 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

I've Anquet OMN installed on my laptop and phone.  Works pretty well and is useable offline both on laptop and andoid devices (I struggled to find others that were the same).  A few issues I have with the UI particularly around creation of routes in the mobile app and importing GPX files but as an all round package pretty good if you want OS mapping.

Cheers!

Stu  

artif 17 Sep 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

Not used view ranger so have no comparison. Did use memory map for while but soon got bored of that.

Been using os maps for a few years now.

Seems to fit your criteria of offline maps, plotting ability and transfer/use on pc/laptop, one licence can be used on several devices.

My only slight gripe is the lack of a "heading up" option. 

StuPoo2 17 Sep 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

If you have a PC ... Garmin Basecamp (free) + OpenMTB (free) is excellent for gpx generation.  You can contribute to the OpenMTB map via openstreetmap (free) ... changes will be reflected in openMTB 2-4 weeks later (need to update your copy of OpenMTB to see that).

There after ... can import your gpx file into any device you like.

I'll be honest ... Garmin Basecamp isn't for everyone.  It has its quirks.

https://openmtbmap.org/

John 17 Sep 2021
In reply to jimfandango:

I use https://www.locusmap.eu. I like its user interface. It handles external maps well, the whole of the UK in OS 1:25. And cache's OpenStreetMap (https://www.4umaps.com/ render of it is good).

Its downside is use on PC. ATM they recommend using the android version on a PC with an emulator. A PC version is in development.

In reply to jimfandango:

I have outdoor map navigator , the mobile version of anquet maps plus anquet maps on PC. Routes sync pretty easily from one to the other. I’m stuck on “classic” because I bought anquet maps long before (back in 2002) it was a subscription model. My bought maps didn’t carry over into their subscription model.  So I’d tried the new subscription model whilst it was free for existing users. Then binned it.

The old version navigates and handles multiple routes easily enough. I’d imagine the subscription model has improved some of the quirks I’m now used to. 

The old version has something called side loading where you can load map tiles from your PC to mobile without needing internet. Not sure if new version does that but don’t see why not.

I have full OS 1:50,000 coverage for GB. Selective OS 1:25,000. Selective Harvey Maps, selective French IGN 1:25,000 plus the free larger scale mapping.

OP jimfandango 18 Sep 2021

What about memory map? We have an ancient desktop version of that which I could possibly dust off. Any experience with the app?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...