Garden plant id?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 skog 16 Jun 2020

These have come up in our garden (it's only our second summer here).

They look like some sort of enlarged clover, but none have flowers and all seem to have four leaves.

Can any of you tell me what they are, please?

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 16 Jun 2020
In reply to skog:

According to Plant.net (which is great btw) it is Four-leaved Pink Sorrel. I photoed your photo and it was the first suggestion,

Chris

OP skog 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

That looks to be it, thanks!

It's lovely, I think I'll keep it - but I may have to move it when it dies back.

Ta.

Edit - I see it's edible in small quantities, bonus!

Post edited at 14:29
OP skog 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Yeah, that PlantNet app is brilliant!

I'm working my way round the garden now, both plants I know and ones I don't. Most are right first go, everything I know has been top three so far.

mbh 16 Jun 2020
In reply to skog:

I get something like that popping up all over the place in my polytunnel, but without the purply colouring  in the middle. When it flowers it is pretty, but it is a nuisance. I like sorrel and grow that elsewhere, but this stuff just keeps coming where I don't want it. Worse though is what I think is a related weed called Oxalis corniculata, a reddish, matted thing which is hard to pull up and which  pops up here there and everywhere.

In reply to mbh:

Aquilegia? We get that coming up everywhere and I mistook it for some kind of unwanted sorrel until one of them hid from me long enough to flower.

Kean 16 Jun 2020
In reply to mbh:

>  Worse though is what I think is a related weed called Oxalis corniculata, a reddish, matted thing which is hard to pull up and which  pops up here there and everywhere.

Thanks! You've just ID'd the same weed I've got all over the place too!

("As a hyperaccumulator of copper, it can be used for phytoremediation. The 1491 Ming Dynasty text, Precious Secrets of the Realm of the King of Xin, describes how to locate underground copper deposits by extracting trace elements of copper from the plant.") Not a lot of people know that....

Post edited at 15:55
 mbh 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Kean:

How interesting. I'm one of the ones who didn't know that. If it is one of those plants that can survive high copper concentrations, that might plausibly indicate that my Cornish allotment is on the site of an old mine and be a useful excuse for my perennial failure to to successfully grow all sorts of things. 

Longsufferingropeholder > No, I don't think it (the clover looking thing) is that.

Cobra_Head 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> Aquilegia? We get that coming up everywhere and I mistook it for some kind of unwanted sorrel until one of them hid from me long enough to flower.

Wrong leaf type for Aquilegia, I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...