Everyone ok?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 09 Jan 2023

Morning all,

about 3 degrees on the south coast so a wee bit chilly but am going to throw myself in the sea later to wake myself up.

Not really a topic as such, just checking in to see if everyone is ok post Christmas at the start of this new year.

What did you get done, anything, were you ill (are you better?), were you glad when the holidays were over, excited for something this year, big changes afoot? Anything really, feel free to share if you want to!

As for me, it’s just the usual stay at home dad stuff. Supporting my monumentally busy Royal Navy wife, homework, clubs, dreaded meal planning but I’ve promised myself I’ll try and get out onto the hills more so I’ve forced myself to book a long weekend on the Lakes over Feb half term to hit the hills. Nothing exciting but something to look forward to.

Rog Wilko 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Denni:

I’m no psychologist but this sounds a bit like a cri de coeur. If you’re anything like me you’re at your lowest mentally at this time of year. Christmas and New Year always gobbles up any cheerful and positive thoughts, leaving very little to keep us all going  through this armpit of the year when the weather is usually grey and wet, darkness seems to last all but an hour or two of the day and the spring still seems aeons away. You’ve definitely made a good choice coming to the Lakes for a half term trip - something not too distant to look forward to. Sadly, can’t promise you nice crisp sunny winter weather, but make sure you’ve got decent waterproofs and smile through the rain. There are lots of lovely valley walks, you know, and the days will be noticeably longer by mid-Feb. Hope you feel better soon.

David Alcock 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Denni:

Thanks for asking. Feeling run down (Covid in November, lung infection in December) - I now know what real post virus fatigue feels like and wish it would eff off. Xmas was... well, could have been worse. I've managed to make at least one resolution, which is to speak plain. People who know me say I already do, but that can be a facade in itself. Like most of us, I don't feel optimistic about the year or years to come, but eternity in a grain of sand, etc... Anyway, I wish you all the best. 

OP Denni 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Denni:

Think you’ve misconstrued this post Rog, just a shout out to see how people are nothing more and no reflection on how I am, I’m fine. Quite like this time of year

Am hoping the lakes trip won’t be lashed with rain but if it is, happy to be out on the hills rather than the flat coast. 

Phil79 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> I’m no psychologist but this sounds a bit like a cri de coeur. If you’re anything like me you’re at your lowest mentally at this time of year. 

Totally agree with this. I always struggle with Jan/Feb and have been feeling fairly s**t so far this year, mainly due to ongoing work stress.

I managed to get out for a walk and cold swim in a Dartmoor quarry yesterday, highlight of the year so far and felt fantastic afterwards! Onwards to spring.... 

Lankyman 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Denni:

If you've half a soul you'll love the Lakes (even when it's heaving!). I long ago gave up chasing summits in bad weather. As Rog Wilko says (and you're probably well aware) there's lots of interest in the woods, valleys, waterfalls, lower hills and even the delights of Morecambe Bay. You're right to have something on the not-too-distant horizon to look forward to. I've booked a week on Colonsay in March and have asked for the same warm, dry weather we had the same week last year on Islay.

Rog Wilko 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Denni:

Glad you’re ok.

OP Denni 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I’m fine Rog, hope you’re good too mate.

OP Denni 09 Jan 2023
In reply to David Alcock:

Post anything fatigue is a nightmare David. My wife had it for the better part of a year after a particularly demanding job, hope it sorts itself out mate.

Duncan Bourne 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Denni:

A bit snuffly at the mo but otherwise good

Ridge 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Phil79:

I'm another one who finds this time of year depressing. The weather's invariably bad, the ground is soaked and muddy, and another year of work begins.

stubbed 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Denni:

I usually feel quite cheerful in January - clear up Christmas decorations, fresh start, new year, lots of new things. But I got covid over new year and I'm finding that I can't walk very far anymore or get anything done.

Lankyman 09 Jan 2023
In reply to stubbed:

> I usually feel quite cheerful in January - clear up Christmas decorations, fresh start, new year, lots of new things. But I got covid over new year and I'm finding that I can't walk very far anymore or get anything done.

Stay positive. My ex got covid over Christmas and still feels jaded. She dodged it for two years which I think is amazing. In March it'll be two years of long covid for me but I'm better than back then. You just need to adjust to what you're able to do without overdoing things. Covid seems to affect people in lots of differing ways. I even wonder if my claw-like toenails are down to the virus! I began with flat walks, then small hills and managed one or two big Pennine fells. Perhaps this year I'll try a big Lakes fell or a Munro? I'm very glad I'm alive which many poor sods who got it aren't.

dread-i 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Denni:

Got made redundant end of last year (well, pushed into VR). Which was a ball ache, not least because it was a direct result of bullying by my manager. Still, I got a decent redundancy and I was only unemployed for a matter of days, before the job offers came rolling in. Started a new role, which pays lots more, has a wider scope, plays to my skills and with room for growth. Health and injuries seem to be getting better after a succession of unfortunate events during last year. Races coming up, summer holiday booked, been off the beer since Jan 2, lots of small changes around the house, lots of home improvements planned, ideas for expeditions and adventures bubbling up; so far all good.

As I write this, earths actual sun is shining outside my window. Cant complain.

Rog Wilko 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

What’s keeping me going is browsing the RHS website and various   garden books and buying more plants for the garden. In case anyone’s interested I’ve just received a lovely 3 foot tall Crinodendron hookeriana from a nursery in N. Ireland for 15 quid including carriage! Amazing value, I can’t believe it. It came yesterday and I’m still smiling.

Rog Wilko 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Sorry to hear of your travails, Carl. Make the most any active life you have left. We’ve had to severely curtail our ambitions in the last couple of years, more owing to age than covid, so only to be expected I suppose. At least the garden is looking better.

In reply to Denni:

It's going that you've got something on the calendar. Just the ticket. It's a gloomy time if year and we need something to look forward to. Enjoy the Lakes when you go and fingers for the weather.🤞🏻

I was a stay at home Dad. Actually the best job I've ever had but the days can be long!

Just had 10 days bothying and camping in the he Highlands either side of Hogmanay. Man it was cold at times! Already sorting out the next trip north plus a couple of mini adventures in the Peak. Oh the joys of retirement........😁

Lankyman 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks, Rog. It's not really 'travails' for me. It's just adjusting to something that comes along, like lots of things. 'Sh1t happens' as they say and brooding on things doesn't help. It's good you're into gardening but for me it would be worse than the plague. I love my flowers - growing from a crevice in a crag!

The New NickB 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Denni:

Feeling pretty good, but heavy rain and a puncture on my first bike commute of the year, wasn’t the most auspicious start to the week. Looking forward to my birthday on Friday, which will be celebrated with a meal and couple of pints after work with my wife, then either the Lakes or Dales on Saturday for a walk, cold dip and a pub meal and pint.

I always have a few plans in the first couple of months of the year, which helps get me though the post Christmas period until the days start getting noticeably lighter.

Flinticus 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Ridge:

Yup and starting back at work after nearly two weeks off shows me how much impact work has on my ability to get other stuff done and tiredness leveks plus motivation throughout the week. It really is a killer! 

The 'shock' of being expected to be desk bound in a single room for 7 hrs each day!!

Sean Kelly 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Denni:

Had an invigorating walk over Dartmoor yesterday in the torrential rain, but with a great group of friends, so the banter was almost continuous. Then we all sat down for a pub meal after a quick change into dry clothing. Felt great when I got home, pinching a day in such unlikely circumstances. And today a morning at the wall. I'm  enjoying life. Now I need to get up to Scotland for some fun on the white stuff.

wercat 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Ridge:

> I'm another one who finds this time of year depressing. The weather's invariably bad, the ground is soaked and muddy, and another year of work begins.

I resorted to a 10 mile road walk yesterday so frustrated by the weather was I.

In reply to Denni:

... bearing up ... still Covid free. But this weather! ...

broken spectre 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Denni:

The day started well but then I posted to the politics forum that's attracting dislikes like a swarm of wabbies around a can of pop! 😆

pencilled in 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Denni:

Its a game of two halves here, while I’m
looking forward to skiing with the family and getting back to Madagascar in June, also with family. 
We really miss the dog we had put to sleep the day before Christmas Eve, which affected my youngest the most; he feels ‘sad’ and is reluctant to go in to school without shepherding by TA. It’s ok, we’ve got the endurance. I had plans to get us all climbing  properly, but the weather’s not great. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...