Drones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BoaseF 26 Oct 2020

Some mountain rescue teams are using dogs to help search for people missing in the mountains.

I wonder if drones couldn't also/instead be used?

They can be fitted with ordinary and infrared cameras, meaning a search could be continued 24/7.  

jkarran 26 Oct 2020
In reply to BoaseF:

> They can be fitted with ordinary and infrared cameras, meaning a search could be continued 24/7.  

They could be fitted with a lot more than that. Finding people's tech is probably easier in bad weather than finding people.

The law is currently pretty restrictive for practical operation.

Jk

OP BoaseF 27 Oct 2020
In reply to jkarran:

I'm very sure that if I was lost up in the mountains,I would not be too concerned about privacy.

Tigger 27 Oct 2020
In reply to BoaseF:

I presume the dislikes are from folk who disagree with the use of drones in general. This would normally  include me, but in this instance I think they could be a perfect tool if it means saving a life.

timjones 27 Oct 2020
In reply to Tigger:

> I presume the dislikes are from folk who disagree with the use of drones in general. This would normally  include me, but in this instance I think they could be a perfect tool if it means saving a life.

I guess that they may be from people that realise that dogs are quite capable of searching during the hours of darkness and have a longer battery life than most drones

LastBoyScout 27 Oct 2020
In reply to timjones:

> I guess that they may be from people that realise that dogs are quite capable of searching during the hours of darkness and have a longer battery life than most drones

And aren't so affected by high winds and rain.

Dogs also able to use smell and hearing that a drone can't.

Removed User 27 Oct 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I'd have thought a dog would find it harder to sniff someone out on a windy day and that a drone can access and cover ground much more quickly.

Surely their roles are complimentary?

profitofdoom 27 Oct 2020
In reply to BoaseF:

> Some mountain rescue teams are using dogs to help search for people missing in the mountains. > I wonder if drones couldn't also/instead be used? > They can be fitted with ordinary and infrared cameras, meaning a search could be continued 24/7.  

Just strap the search dogs into jetpacks, fitted with cameras

Job done in one

How much do I win?

wbo2 27 Oct 2020
In reply to timjones: It is possible to use two things at the same time you know.  

rj_townsend 27 Oct 2020
In reply to Tigger:

> I presume the dislikes are from folk who disagree with the use of drones in general. This would normally  include me, but in this instance I think they could be a perfect tool if it means saving a life.

Nope, they'll be from the folk disappointed that the OP hasn't bothered to check out whether MRT are using drones already, rather than just pontificating.

jkarran 27 Oct 2020
In reply to BoaseF:

> I'm very sure that if I was lost up in the mountains,I would not be too concerned about privacy.

It's not a privacy problem. So far as I'm aware for now at least remotely piloted aircraft (other than under strictly licenced trial conditions) still legally have to remain within sight of a human spotter to avoid potential conflict with other airspace users. Useless if you want to throw a UAV (or several) out into a rain lashed night to run an automated search grid over a wide area.

Personally I think the obsession with quad/hex copters is a bit myopic in this role, if you want to cover a lot of ground then a fast, efficient fixed wing platform is better and there's volume in the wings for antennae. The problem is safe recovery in bad conditions but there are options. Combine the search/route planning software with a highly detailed local forecasting tool and in most hill regions you can massively extend sortie time by exploiting the hill lift and avoiding the sink.

jk

timjones 27 Oct 2020
In reply to wbo2:

I'm not sure why you think I am suggesting anything else?

It was the OP that suggested that drone could possibly be used instead of dogs, I merely highlighted one reason for the dislikes on their post.

timjones 27 Oct 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> I'd have thought a dog would find it harder to sniff someone out on a windy day and that a drone can access and cover ground much more quickly.

> Surely their roles are complimentary?

They may find it harder but a well trained dog will still be able to work.

peppermill 27 Oct 2020
In reply to timjones:

Spose the flip side is a drone can just be put in a box in the store when its not needed. 

Tigger 27 Oct 2020
In reply to timjones:

Why not add an extra tool though? Sure dogs are efficient and have helped rescue countless people, but surley a drone with a thermal camera could be of significant use as well?

George_Surf 28 Oct 2020
In reply to BoaseF:

Pretty sure these are used by mountain rescue in the puig de campagna in costa blanca? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...