Doors open , heating on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andrewwaller 11 Nov 2020

That time of year when you start to notice alot of shops with there doors wide open and the heating on fully inside. Does this rattle anyone's cage ?

toad 11 Nov 2020
In reply to andrewwaller:

Yes usually, but this year is a little different, I think anything increasing ventilation in confined spaces is probably a good idea atm

mick taylor 11 Nov 2020
In reply to toad:

And it avoids touching door handles. 

OP andrewwaller 11 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

This wasn't meant to be about covid , it happens every year !!

DancingOnRock 11 Nov 2020

It’s retail. They convince people to buy things they don’t need, I’m not sure they’re too bothered about heating spaces unnecessarily. The amount of lighting they have on during the day is also a massive waste. 

In reply to DancingOnRock:

> It’s retail. They convince people to buy things they don’t need, I’m not sure they’re too bothered about heating spaces unnecessarily. The amount of lighting they have on during the day is also a massive waste. 

Shops lit up at night, when closed, grinds my gears. 

Wingnut 11 Nov 2020

I have a neighbour whose long-standing gripe (well, one of them) - expressed at great length to anyone too slow to run away - is that she's always cold, her flat's always cold, people-shouldn't-have-to-live-like-this-not-in-this-day-and-age etc etc.

Now, I might be missing something obvious, but there just might be a connection between being cold and the fact that every time she comes out for a fag she does so in her nightie, and leaves her front door wide open ...

jimtitt 11 Nov 2020
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

> Shops lit up at night, when closed, grinds my gears. 

Yeah, honest burglars have it hard these days

Andy Johnson 11 Nov 2020

Many shops use an air curtain* above the open door to minimise heal loss from inside the premises. Not as efficient as a closed door, but not as off-putting either.

* https://www.airtecnics.com/technology/what-is-an-air-curtain

When I last saw an NHS physio a couple of years ago it was in a former workhouse (built c1840) with uncontrollable central heating on full blast with the windows open.

mick taylor 11 Nov 2020
In reply to Wingnut:

> she does so in her nightie, and leaves her front door wide open ...

Wow!  Not sure what else I can say. 

mrphilipoldham 11 Nov 2020

I have to tell the wife to put the wood in the hole every time she lets the dogs out. Then I roll my eyes when she says that 'it's so cold in here!'

Dax H 11 Nov 2020
In reply to toad:

> Yes usually, but this year is a little different, I think anything increasing ventilation in confined spaces is probably a good idea atm

Ay there are going to be a lot of cold offices this winter. Ours normally range from uncomfortably warm to just got off the plane in the middle of Africa in summer. 

This year though I have mandated that each room must have a minimum of 2 open doors or windows to maintain as much air flow as possible. 

gethin_allen 11 Nov 2020

Near me it seems every bloody house has at least half a dozen lights on outside all night.

I just hope that they are at least LED lights but even then the light pollution is crazy, I could read a book in the garden at midnight without putting any of my own lights on.

Neil Williams 11 Nov 2020

If they're LEDs the energy usage is tiny.  It is a waste, though, I agree; I always assumed it used to be for CCTV purposes but these days you can get infrared CCTV instead.

freeflyer 11 Nov 2020
In reply to Wingnut:

Now, I might be missing something obvious...

She clearly needs warming up.

In reply to Neil Williams:

> If they're LEDs the energy usage is tiny.  It is a waste, though, I agree; I always assumed it used to be for CCTV purposes but these days you can get infrared CCTV instead.

I'd understood it in days gone by, but yes security has advanced beyond keeping the light on. 

Dax H 11 Nov 2020

The quality of infrared cctv is not even close to illuminated cctv. Nothing stopping movement sensors though so the lights can be off until needed. 

Ridge 11 Nov 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> I have to tell the wife to put the wood in the hole every time she lets the dogs out. Then I roll my eyes when she says that 'it's so cold in here!'

I feel your pain. Here it's the wife working in the garden with the door left wide open so the dog can wander back inside if he wants.

Mark Edwards 11 Nov 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> The quality of infrared cctv is not even close to illuminated cctv.

OK, you lose the colour information but as for quality, it’s not that bad (from someone who grew up with BW TV). And on the plus side, the software (Blue Iris) that monitors my cameras draws about 40% less CPU time when it’s looking at monochrome images.

Webster 11 Nov 2020

few things irritate me more than needles/careless waste. there are plenty of people out there not willing to make any sacrifices to make the world a better place (thats a debate for another day), but there are so many simple things which require zero sacrifice, just a bit of cognitive recalibration! finishing food/drink item x before opening a new one, putting on a jumper before turning the heating up, taking off said jumper before turning the AC on, closing doors, re-using plates/glasses etc etc. so many simple ways to help save the world people!

In reply to freeflyer:

> Now, I might be missing something obvious...

I don't think Wingnut swings that way...

Dax H 11 Nov 2020
In reply to Mark Edwards:

It's okay but I find it hard to identify faces on night vision. 

Jenny C 11 Nov 2020
In reply to Webster:

> few things irritate me more than needles/careless waste. 

Totally agree.

> inside. Does this rattle anyone's cage ?

Yes. And more so the fact the heating is on  it’s still + 10 degrees 

Timmd 12 Nov 2020
In reply to Wingnut:

> Now, I might be missing something obvious, but there just might be a connection between being cold and the fact that every time she comes out for a fag she does so in her nightie, and leaves her front door wide open ...

I'd probably say as much to the poor dear 'I'm often cold if I go out in my jamas' - 'All the heat escapes when I leave my front door open like you sometimes do'. 

Ridge 12 Nov 2020
In reply to Mark Edwards:

> OK, you lose the colour information but as for quality, it’s not that bad (from someone who grew up with BW TV). And on the plus side, the software (Blue Iris) that monitors my cameras draws about 40% less CPU time when it’s looking at monochrome images.

Your weed farm looks ready for cropping, I'd do it sharpish before the neighbours call the police.

Wingnut 12 Nov 2020
In reply to freeflyer:

I would say her husband might object, but since he doesn't seem to bother shutting the door or putting proper clothes on either he probably needs warming up too ...

Mark Edwards 12 Nov 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Sorry to disappoint but those are mostly holly and other area denial shrubs. I’m pretty sure that any weed plants still outside would be rotting by now and it’s been more than six weeks since the equinox.

Timmd 12 Nov 2020

Heat on, doors open? Luxury.

My boiler is kaput again, is either the PCB or the gas supply I think. It's come and gone, before arriving permanently, which me wondering if it's the PCB.

Post edited at 10:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...