Dentists and coronavirus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I've a dentist appointment this morning which I was expecting to be cancelled , however I've yet to hear anything more but a reminder the other day. 

Anyone had any dentists cancel on them at all? 

It's given me a lie in at least so far. 

Suppose there is still time 

deacondeacon 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

I thought you were feeling ill? Are you still planning on going to the dentist? 

In reply to deacondeacon:

I had a headache Sunday felt tired.  

I'm fine . I match no symptoms and have followed all the relevant info.  

Been fine since and continue to be fine. 

Thanks for your concern.

Post edited at 06:52
J1234 17 Mar 2020

I do not think deacon is concerned for you

In reply to J1234:

> I do not think deacon is concerned for you

Nether do I but I'm being polite

Post edited at 06:55
J1234 17 Mar 2020

No your being a git.

In reply to J1234:

> No your being a git.

The shops open soon go panic buy some toilet roll mate

J1234 17 Mar 2020

People panic buying are gits to. 

deacondeacon 17 Mar 2020

I am concerned for you, as well as being concerned for everyone else. Going to the dentist is about as invasive as one can get, and as you've been feeling under the weather (your deleted post was actually  more concerning) why not cancel the dentist 'just in case'. Yes the whole situation is frustrating, and yes I was also under the impression that everyone was overreacting but it really won't hurt for all of us to err on the side of caution.

This thread will probably get deleted as everyone is going to call you a prick (again), but perhaps just read the news and listen a little. 

In reply to deacondeacon:

> I am concerned for you, as well as being concerned for everyone else. Going to the dentist is about as invasive as one can get, and as you've been feeling under the weather (your deleted post was actually  more concerning) why not cancel the dentist 'just in case'. Yes the whole situation is frustrating, and yes I was also under the impression that everyone was overreacting but it really won't hurt for all of us to err on the side of caution.

Thank you that's measured but im not sure what deleted post your on about.  The joke thread the other day? 

> This thread will probably get deleted as everyone is going to call you a prick (again), but perhaps just read the news and listen a little. 

I am watching the news and expecting them to cancel. I watch and listen all the time.  

Thanks for a genuinely thoughtful and considered post .  It works wonders rather than abuse as I receive from some of the others here. 

toad 17 Mar 2020

I went a fortnight ago and it was a very reassuring experience.  Clean, gloved and masked, but signs everywhere saying don't go if you have ANY  symptoms. 

ThunderCat 17 Mar 2020

You've just reminded me that I had a missed call from the dentist on Friday.  Odd as I'm not due an appointment for at least another 4 months....

deacondeacon 17 Mar 2020

> The joke thread the other day? 

Hilarious

Andy Hardy 17 Mar 2020
In reply to J1234:

> No your being a git.

*you're* being a git.

summo 17 Mar 2020

Dentists are probably fine. They already wear face masks, have systems in place to clean and avoid cross contamination of equipment etc. It's their day job avoiding infection. 

You are at greater risk shopping... payment keypad, all those freshly stocked goods with clean or dirty hands etc.. trolleys and baskets. 

Keep your teeth in good order.. It's a pain you simply can't ignore if they have problems. 

J1234 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> *you're* being a git.

Sorry, I blame my teachers, always have to blame someone else, must never ever take personal responsibility.

deepsoup 17 Mar 2020

I've had an email from my dentist, specifically to say they're remaining open and not cancelling appointments.  There is some stuff in there detailing what they've done to step up their cleaning etc.  They're asking people to be sure they don't visit if they have any symptoms or are self-isolating, but to be sure to let them know if they'll be missing appointments.  And they want patients to wash their hands etc., obviously.

As Summo says, the dentists themselves may step up their hygiene regimen a bit but obviously they're already quite careful to protect themselves from any nasties the patients might be carrying, I think as much as anything this advice is intended to protect receptionists, people in waiting rooms from each other etc.

If it was me, I'd probably postpone a check-up assuming all is well.  But if I needed treatment I'd be going in and having that done.  I have a physio appointment this morning, and I'm going to that.

Jon Stewart 17 Mar 2020

I think dentists' commercial interests will come into play I'm afraid. I suspect they will be sufficiently confident in their infection control abilities to be pleased to see patients, rather than encouraging them to stay away if it's a routine check up or something that can wait (for months) without getting worse. Whether that is really justified, and whether in fact they should be erring on the side of caution, I wouldn't like to say. But I don't think that alcohol-gel drenched, disinfected, mask-adorned healthcare environments are going to be the places infection will spreading...but you've still got to share the reception and waiting areas with others so I'd say that it's best to cancel all non-emergency appointments yourself. I guess we don't really want a post-corona lack of capacity either... 

As an optometrist, I want to see anyone who I can prevent turning up at a hospital (people with suspect retinal detachment and other sight-threatening conditions), but people wanting new glasses (which you try on and put back on the displays) or who have some little whinge about an itchy eye should give us a miss.

It'll be interesting to see if my company tells patients to bugger off (unless emergencies, which is only about one a day, and only makes us £50!).

I'm in for some quiet days, but I'll still have to turn up. 

Post edited at 09:29
 Andy Hardy 17 Mar 2020

I've just had a dental checkup (10 minutes ago) I had my temperature taken (eventually, when the gadget decided to work) and there was a pointless bottle of sanitiser on the counter. No magazines or kiddy toys in reception, apart from that, everything went as usual.

Andy Hardy 17 Mar 2020
In reply to J1234:

> Sorry, I blame my teachers, always have to blame someone else, must never ever take personal responsibility.

Good point, but some of your OU tutors might read that and get the hump... 😘

LastBoyScout 17 Mar 2020
In reply to summo:

> Dentists are probably fine. They already wear face masks, have systems in place to clean and avoid cross contamination of equipment etc. It's their day job avoiding infection. 

> Keep your teeth in good order.. It's a pain you simply can't ignore if they have problems. 

I've got an appointment on Friday to have a filling re-done - would have been done already but for a bit of a mix-up on appointment booking.

I'm still planning on going, unless told otherwise - I could delay it a bit if necessary, but not having it done soon would definitely cause bigger problems down the line.

Dentist went perfectly , 2 broken teeth fixed and filled.

Probably the cleanest places I've been to.  

But what do I know I'm a prick .

:-D

summo 17 Mar 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

There is some pain you can ignore when you are busy... But some how tooth ache is in a class of its own. 

andyman666999 17 Mar 2020
In reply to summo:

Absolutely misguided. Surgical mask obsession always makes me laugh they do pretty much nothing. It may help reduce transmission to you from us I.e coughs and sneezes but I wouldn’t bet on it and definitely not the other way around. Viruses are smaller than air particles. Various building procedures require far more stringently fitted air masks to keep these articles out of your lungs. 
Any procedure using the air rotor drill creates a 2-3m aerosol which covers all surfaces. Combine this with the fact that we see 20-30 people a day really makes it yeh perfect place to ‘inoculate’ a lot of people before we develop symptoms. 

Currently guidance from our governing bodies is extremely unclear regarding where we fall in terms of necessary vs unnecessary. 

However, generally cross contamination and sterilisation/disinfection procedures are good. But again - you find lots of nasty bacteria and viruses in health care premises generally because of the higher foot fall of sick people. 

I would stay away if you feel unwell and otherwise wait for information as it comes. 

andyman666999 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

You should re read your first sentence and then have a hard think about what it says about your personal standard of professionalism.

You are being very dismissive of the motives of an entire profession full of people, much like yourself, that has spent years of training and study to hopefully treat people with their best interests at heart.

summo 17 Mar 2020
In reply to andyman666999:

I wasn't suggesting face masks were the be all and end all... unless you start wearing p3 filters and even then the benefit is only in one direction. 

Yes.. transfer is possible.. But I bet your place is more sterile than a petrol pump, cash machine, supermarket trolley or check out, public transport etc.. which will see the fingers of a lot more than 20 or 30 people every day.

Plus dental work is part of existing healthcare, in many cases it's essential and not a non essential movement. And of course folk shouldn't visit if they think they or anyone in their household or work place is infected etc. 

Jon Stewart 17 Mar 2020
In reply to andyman666999:

When I talk to dentists they tend to have precisely the same concerns about the influence of market forces in health care as I do. 

Moley 17 Mar 2020

Long email from "my dentist" practice today on how they are stepping up precautions. Actually I can't remember all it said but basically they were carrying on. Not a job I envy.

LastBoyScout 20 Mar 2020
In reply to summo:

Dentist has just phoned to say my appointment has been cancelled.

New guidelines issued by BDA yesterday are that they can't treat anyone that isn't an emergency due to aerosol risks and my treatment involves drilling, so is right up there with spraying saliva around.

My concern is that I'll now have to wait it out and hope it hasn't got any worse before they can sort it out and I don't lose the tooth as a result.

Double frustrating, as if it wasn't for the mix-up on booking it, it would have been done by now

Receptionist said they were effectively out of a job as a result, as they're reducing from 5 days a week to barely 1.

Post edited at 11:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...