Chinese posts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 15 Dec 2018

Glad to see that the Mods have removed the Mahjong posts.

kevin stephens 15 Dec 2018
In reply to Trangia:

I'm not sure what the script meant but it looked cool so I've had a tattoo of it done

FactorXXX 15 Dec 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

> I'm not sure what the script meant but it looked cool so I've had a tattoo of it done

What part of your body?

Bellie 15 Dec 2018

Roughly translated... Is Kinder Downfall in yet?

Clarence 15 Dec 2018
In reply to Trangia:

I saw the chinese character for 3 a few times, I assume the rest meant "...pebble slab is definitely over/under graded" or something.

alx 15 Dec 2018
In reply to Bellie:

> Roughly translated... Is Kinder Downfall in yet?

I checked the translation, apparently a man called Doug crawled down an Ogre?

Wainers44 15 Dec 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Made me crave a takeaway 

In reply to Trangia:

I assumed it was just another BMC rebranding, this time hoping for part of the lucrative grant funding from Sport Guangzhou. 

wercat 15 Dec 2018
In reply to alx:

Wrong!

it read "Huawei The Lads!"

Clarence 16 Dec 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Oh bugger, they heard you in Beijing!

digby 16 Dec 2018
In reply to Trangia:

It was bizarre and what was the point? Putting it into google translate it was all variations on "Handle Macquarie University diploma diploma", with various other universities in the other posts. 
UKC wasn't alone either. Loads of other results on google. 

SouthernSteve 16 Dec 2018
In reply to digby:

I think that this was likely not a person, but a successful automated posting - what was the point after all? The possibility that a machine can do this is something that UKC might want to look at, but likely difficult to stop every possibility. A targeted advert would probably put the post in different forums and have known that 99.9% of the audience couldn't read chinese!

However if they intended just to annoy they succeeded. Two pages of RockTalk at its height!

In reply to Trangia:

They are at it again just now!

john arran 16 Dec 2018
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I don't think we need reminding!

krikoman 17 Dec 2018

It reads, "I've done loads on grit"

Post edited at 10:54
 Sean_J 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Trangia:

bit racist...

Tom Valentine 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Sean_J:

A whole batch of them has just appeared.

I think one of them is advertising Chinese washing powder.

krikoman 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Trangia:

Chinese posts, Japanese fencing.

birdie num num 17 Dec 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> It reads, "I've done loads on grit"

'I've done roads on glit' you mean, surely?

In reply to Trangia:

I've been working on some extra anti-SPAM features today.

You shouldn't see any Chinese nonsense posts again. I'm working on some more general anti-SPAM measures that should minimise intrusion from the rest.

Post edited at 23:36
 krikoman 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> .... minimise intrusion from the rest.

Boo! It's my favourite bit.

digby 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Trangia:

A theory from https://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2799
"The homeworkers idea is pretty accurate to some extent. These shady SEO sites claim to give a site owner thousands of backlinks  for a set dollar amount.  They then use automated software (xrumer mainly) to bombard forums and blogs. Since so may sites have anti bot registration protection, they pay live humans in 3rd world countries to do the spamming. Humans can beat the registration questions much easier than a bot. They pay them a pittance of around $1 for every 1000 links. The ones doing the work are desperate for any cash.  There are others that are in this on their own, and set up all kinds of filter sites leading to their money site, but I tend to believe that a large portion of them are as you said-  desperate and scammed homeworkers.

I blame the SEO sites more than anyone. They perpetuate the lie that one must cheat to get better Google and other search engine rankings. In all honesty, there is very little real SEO that can be effectively done on a forum. The forum is dynamic and you can't control what people post or their topic titles, etc. Google will find the site anyway, and the site's content is more important. The SEO'ers perpetuate the lie that backlinks and keywords are absolutely necessary. So many green forum owners fall for that crap and hire the SEO "experts", starting the spam cycle all over again."

In reply to digby:

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works these days. Blocking BOTs is fairly straight forward, it's the SPAM sweatshops that's trickier to stop.

The new system seems to be working well so far. I'll keep monitoring it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...