Can rock shoes fe hot enough to burn toes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 09 Oct 2023

Just back from Leonidio and we had some hot sunny days.  On a couple of those my toes got so hot it was painful and I bailed fearing I’d actually burn my toes.  I wear scarpa muria vs, and it was the toe end rubber over my big toe which got very hot indeed.  If it possible to burn toes like this?

JLS 09 Oct 2023
In reply to kipper12:

>”I wear scarpa muria vs”

No you don’t.

Derry 09 Oct 2023
In reply to kipper12:

I used to have a pair of black evolv kronos that were excruciating on super hot days multi-pitching. God my feet got hot, to the point my toes were burning. Not literally, but it felt like sunburn. had to regularly take them off and only ever wore them on cooler days after that. 

OP kipper12 09 Oct 2023
In reply to JLS:

No I don’t - invented a new brand 

Andy Say 10 Oct 2023
In reply to kipper12:

I had a nice pair of La Sportiva shoes many moons ago. But black, and the upper fabric was some sort of artificial 'leather'.

After a really hot day on a couple of long multi-pitches in the Bregaglia I was in agony. I suffered no 'burns' but had a big toe nail go black and drop off.....

JIMBO 10 Oct 2023
In reply to kipper12:

back in the day when they stretched lots, there used to be a ritual of heating them to soften the leather up to stretch. Some people used ovens and sometimes over did it... often burning toes and having all the glue fall apart 🤣

Alkis 10 Oct 2023
In reply to kipper12:

A friend had the sole of an old pair of Scarpas literally slip off the bottom of the shoe one particularly hot day sport climbing in Europe. It was quite impressive.

wbo2 10 Oct 2023
In reply to kipper12:  I remember climbing out of the trees and onto sunny slabs at Buoux in a pair of 90's aces in some distress....

Yes, your feet swell, and a black toebox doesn't help...

midgen 12 Oct 2023
In reply to kipper12:

In Morocco at the moment, was sat on a sunny belay thinking my feet were hurting more as my feet were swollen from the heat..... then remembered this thread and checked my shoes and realised they were burning hot (BD Aspect Pros). Put them in some shade and after a little while they cooled off and got more comfortable.

So yes, shoes can definitely get hot..... didn't burn though, just uncomfortably toasty. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...