Campervan floor question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alex 26 Aug 2020

Hi 

Any campervan conversion experts have any recommendations for finishing off the floor edge at the back of a van?

I'm after some trim that's 25mm deep, but has to be able to fit around a curved edge., so not normal straight metal edge trim. 

any cunning ideas? Thanks in advance. 

mutt 26 Aug 2020
In reply to alex:

even my Wellhouse conversion has the floor peeling up because its not trimmed at the end. you'll get used to sticking it back down.

spenser 26 Aug 2020
In reply to alex:

Do it in two pieces, use a vertically orientated piece (3-4mm aluminiumsheet) to conform to the curves and then cut a second piece to follow the profile of the curve. Screw them both into the floor surface.

If you want to join the the two pieces put a chamfer on the curved piece before screwing them into place, screw the top section in place and then solder them together (I'm going to presume that you haven't got the kit to braze a joint between the two pieces as most people won't).

jon 27 Aug 2020
In reply to spenser:

> Do it in two pieces, use a vertically orientated piece (3-4mm aluminiumsheet) to conform to the curves and then cut a second piece to follow the profile of the curve. Screw them both into the floor surface.

> If you want to join the the two pieces put a chamfer on the curved piece before screwing them into place, screw the top section in place and then solder them together (I'm going to presume that you haven't got the kit to braze a joint between the two pieces as most people won't).

Have I understood that correctly? You’re going to solder aluminium...?

gethin_allen 27 Aug 2020
In reply to jon:

> Have I understood that correctly? You’re going to solder aluminium...?

Giving the benefit of the doubt, you can get a type of soldering/brazing stick for use on aluminium. Not sure I'd go to the effort for such a project though.

spenser 27 Aug 2020
In reply to jon:

I knew there was something silly in my reply...

ianstevens 27 Aug 2020
In reply to alex:

What type of van is it? VWs have some plastic trim you can use, just need to make sure you have the deeper version for a kombi/shuttle rather than the shallower one for a panel van

OP alex 27 Aug 2020

Thanks everyone

Well, at least there aren;t any obvious answers that I'm missing. It's a transit custom but sounds like rubber/plastic trim is the way. will keep looking!

ianstevens 27 Aug 2020
In reply to alex:

Threshold Trim is probably the term you want to search for

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...