Best credit card for Europe use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 djwilse 22 Mar 2018

Looking for tips on the best credit card to use for Euro holidays. I (hopefully) will be paying it off each month, so more interested in low rates for ATM cash withdrawals and non-sterling transaction fees.

It would need to be a 'proper' card rather than a pre-pay one because it will be used for car hire deposits etc.

I had a Barclaycard for a number of years and I think I have a good credit rating.

Thanks in advance.

knighty 22 Mar 2018
In reply to djwilse:

Halifax Clarity. 0% charge on card transactions and a very small percentage on cash withdrawals. It's been great for me!

OP djwilse 22 Mar 2018
In reply to knighty:

Thanks - have you ever been charge for ATM withdrawal by the ATM provider? (this is mentioned on their website).

hokkyokusei 22 Mar 2018
In reply to djwilse:

When I looked into it a few years Post Office were good. Terrible customer service though. In my experience all of their telephone  staff have impenetrable Irish accents and their phone system has the sound quality equivalent of tin cans and damp string.

In reply to djwilse:

Can echo both of these comments. I had the post office one. Their online offering is terrible, and their phone line is worse.
It kept blocking my transactions for no good reason and every time I ended up screaming down the phone at the useless cretins. One of those calls ended with me rage-cancelling it.

Got the Halifax one now. It's been great.

mrphilipoldham 22 Mar 2018
In reply to djwilse:

If you've got the cash up front then Monzo

john arran 22 Mar 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> If you've got the cash up front then Monzo

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2018/01/monzo-to-ditch-its-p...

knighty 22 Mar 2018
In reply to djwilse:

I've not ever been charged by the ATM provider. You just need to be careful to always select the option of local currency at the banks rate rather than the sterling. This applies to whatever card you withdraw cash with though.

elliot.baker 22 Mar 2018
In reply to djwilse:

100% get the Halifax Clarity I've been using it for about 5 years in countries all over the world and it's the simply the cheapest (by far) and most efficient way of getting money abroad.

With respect to the ATM charge, the vast majority of ATMs in the world I have used don't charge you anything, but occasionally, ATMs (and even chip and pin machines in shops/restaurants) offer to give you the (for example) 100EU at XYZ rate which will cost you £95, but there will always be an option to just take the 100EU instead, and the rate (determined by Mastercard on a daily basis here: https://www.mastercard.co.uk/en-gb/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.h...) will always be better than the rate offered by the ATM

I presume some ATMs just like in Britain charge a few $$££ to use but I think you'll get that anywhere if the shop/hotel owns the ATM and decides to charge.

I actually used the clarity card to transfer £1,000s to Australia when I moved there for a year, by withdrawing the max everyday and paying it off with online banking, as the previous poster says this cost me pennies to transfer several grand, you would be charged £10's to use a proper forex transfer company/service/bank.

Reach>Talent 22 Mar 2018
In reply to knighty:

I had a clarity but ended up cancelling it because of their repeated incompetence:i

First holiday was missed as it took best part of a month for all of the documents to arrive. 

They then repeatedly screwed up the billing and then locked me out of their online system. 

As the whole point of it was to simplify travelling I got frustrated and cancelled it. 

I hear good things about Monza current accounts for use abroad .

knighty 22 Mar 2018
In reply to Reach>Talent:

No problems for me through 4 years of use

plyometrics 22 Mar 2018
In reply to djwilse:

Another vote for Halifax. 

OP djwilse 22 Mar 2018
In reply to djwilse:

Thanks for the tips - Halifax card applied for!

mrphilipoldham 22 Mar 2018
In reply to john arran:

Yes it's turning to a current account, though it doesn't need to be a primary account and the benefits remain the same, certainly for short visits.

J1234 22 Mar 2018
In reply to djwilse:

Get the Halifax App. Then when you draw cash on the card, you can immediately transfer money from your current account to your credit card, this will mean you will be no or very little interest on the money. 

In reply to john arran:

That is true. We now have a Monzo current account but it is just an additional account for us and you can use it exactly as you would have used the pre paid card. I regularly transfer money using my phone to my Monzo account. In fact, I used the card to pay my tax bill.

HardenClimber 23 Mar 2018
In reply to djwilse:

Worth having two...

I take a mastercard & a visa...

(have had a card cancelled for fraudulent (by a third party) use while away... the fraud didn't relate to my travel, but i'd havebeen a bit stuck...)  

I've been places in the pyrenees where you could only get petrol with mastercard.

You might lose one.

(both mine are on 'schemes' which are closed now)

planetmarshall 23 Mar 2018
In reply to djwilse:

I've been using Revolut. No transaction fees and interbank exchange rates. Cash withdrawals are limited to 200 EUR per month with the free offering.

Trangia 23 Mar 2018
In reply to djwilse:

My ex uses Santander as she says they make no commission charge for converting pounds to euros, which can add up.

Blue Straggler 23 Mar 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

> I've been using Revolut. No transaction fees and interbank exchange rates. Cash withdrawals are limited to 200 EUR per month with the free offering.

I use Revolut but it's a pre-pay one and the OP excludes this

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...