Bee Keeping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cú Chullain 03 Feb 2021

Anyone here keep bees?

I am looking into setting up my own colony in my urban garden. Have bought a few books to get me started but while I wait for those to be delivered what tips can I glean from any resident apiculturists?

neilh 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

My brother in law- Eddie-  is a bee-keeper.

My brother was round at his house one day. Eddie says to my brother- " I have just bought a queen bee from (I think) it was Italy for £200.The box arrived this morning I think its time to open the box as the bee will be sleepy from travelling." Eddie opens the box, said queen bee flies out, and promptly flies out of an open window and off to pastures new never to be seen again.. By this time my brother is in stiches as poor Eddie is cursing.

Lesson...be careful when you open a box with bees, they fly off.

robert-hutton 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

My mate keeps bee's and it seems to bee a time consuming activity, chasing his or other swarming in the spring, spinning, staining and bottling sticky honey in the summer, then feeding / fretting will they survive in the winter.

As his running partner I dead the conversation on hornet's and neonicotinoids and wasps.

Post edited at 14:05
 two_tapirs 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I'm not a beekeeper, but I imagine the hardest part would be remembering all their names.

Phil1919 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Get in touch with your local association. There are some nice beekeepers about. You will get good help.

nomisb 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

Absolutely - it's how I started. Most associations offer an introduction to Bee Keeping course -  I would recommend you take it.

The old adage of ask two bee keepers a question and you'll get three answers is very true. There are many different ways of looking after bees from the micro managed to the visit twice a year school - pick something that works for you. Don't forget the bees have been doing this for millions of years so they are quite good at it now... 

Sl@te Head 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I was a Bee Keeper about 20 years ago, I stopped due to moving house and having young children at the time. Planning on starting again this year, luckily my dad is a bee keeper and has some surplus kit so I'm  going to be able to set up again with minimum outlay, just need to find some bees!

Re tips, the best one I can offer is that not all bees are friendly some are really aggressive, so consider the temprement of any bees you're offered...

Make mead with the honey, it's really easy to make and even easier to drink

Tim Sparrow 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Getting on to courses is the best option but can be difficult due to current constraints, but there are plenty of online resources. Lots on youtube but try to ignore anything with an American accent - not that its wrong but they do things differently to here! I can recommend Stuart's Beekeeping basics videos however (Norfolk Honey Farm) - really clear and concise and relevant to UK bees. I binge watched them going into my first year as I was laid up injured. Other good Youtubers are Black Mountain Honey ("No Nonsense Beekeeping" based in NE Wales) and Gwenyn Grufydd in Camarthenshire. 

A local mentor is also a really good idea.

I would also recommend 2 colonies rather than one if possible - you always have a backup should one fail (and colonies  / queens do with monotonous regularity) and it allows you to see a wider variety of behaviour and approaches.

You do need to input time into it (often at a time of year when you should be climbing) but it is a fascinating and absorbing hobby. For many it becomes a way of life. You also need space to store the increasing stack of spare equipment that comes with the territory.

Finally, the honey is delicious and you can sell it to recoup some of the outlay in equipment. After 2 years I have no where near broken even but with a good 3rd summer coming ...

Post edited at 16:30
 nniff 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

As a further upside, you have the opportunity to furnish people with photographs of yourself dressed unconventionally, poised atop a very wobbly ladder, with a bucket on the end on an unfeasibly long pole, trying to gather your wayward pets.......

EdS 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Join the local association and do their intro course. 

Be warned - if you think climbers are bad.... Ask 4 beekeepers a question you will get 6 different answers 🤣

OP Cú Chullain 03 Feb 2021

Cheers everyone. 

As for this. 

>Re tips, the best one I can offer is that not all bees are friendly some are really aggressive, so consider the temprement of any bees you're offered...

How do you check the temperament of a bee? 

Yanis Nayu 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Questionnaire 

Sl@te Head 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

If they sting you regularly, they're angry.

If they don't they're pretty docile.

I'm no expert but it's a fact some hives / breeds are way easier than others!

daWalt 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

just checking........ make sure you're not allergic to bee stings.

a lot of people think they've been stung by a bee - when it was really a wasp.

my da used to keep bees when I was young, until the neighbor popped by with a neck the size of a watermelon. was a bit of a surprise as we'd had at least 5 hives over quite a few years.

it wasn't a bid deal to knock it on the head, we hadn't kept up with bringing in new gene-pool and one hive got a bit inbred; they were docile and useless. the more energetic (and by that more "aggressive") hives produced way more. 

Tobes 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Consider what is available within a few miles of your back garden (this is where the bees will travel for pollen - if there’s not a lot of interest for them that will obviously have an impact on the health and success of the colony.

Do you need to check with your neighbours if living in close proximity and swarming/stings might be an issue and as already mentioned, are you allergic to bee stings?

I did an online course (8 weeks) end of last year - it’s complex or simple depends which route you want to take! 

different species of bee have different temperaments but other factors can turn a chilled colony into a swarming frenzy.

I was hoping to get some hands on experience this spring with local keepers but will see how that goes 

good luck! 

summo 03 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Do a course, join the local group. Then get a hive and swarm lure. There are many neglectful or time pressured keepers, and occasional mystifying bee behaviour, you'll likely get a swarm for free by mid summer. 

mick taylor 03 Feb 2021
In reply to neilh:

> Lesson...be careful when you open a box with bees, they fly off....

....and become has beens. 

In reply to Cú Chullain:

> How do you check the temperament of a bee? 

Just observe its beehiveiour.

Linda Orritt 04 Feb 2021
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Beehave yourself!

Linda Orritt 04 Feb 2021
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Ed Hillary was a bee keeper- and look where he ended up. 
Apparently it’s hard work and toughened his muscles which helped with his climbing. 

In reply to Linda Orritt:

I was only pollen your leg. 

nufkin 04 Feb 2021
In reply to Linda Orritt:

>  Apparently it’s hard work and toughened his muscles

Aye, a full super is heavy!

Probably the responsibility is worth emphasising. Although bees look after themselves, what they want isn't necessarily the same as what you want. As already mentioned, trying to keep on top of swarming behaviour is good for the hive and, especially, your neighbours, which requires regular checks at the appropriate time of year. And making yourself available to collect swarms, whether yours or other's.
You also have to check for disease, and treat accordingly if anything crops up. Some are pretty serious and may require you to report them.
There's also feeding over winter, and doing your best to keep out woodpeckers/mice/badgers/grizzlies etc, depending on local fauna. 

On the other hand, fresh honey is fab, and there's something very soothing about sitting near the hives of a fine evening watching the ladies bustle about their business

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...