At what point is good publicity too much?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Any other 'mothers' or fathers thinking enough is enough?

Puppythedog 13 Oct 2019
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Yes, I was feeling a little sad for them that instead of engaging with their loss they are keeping away from it with the crusade which also sadly brings validation for their ire and sadness in the form of celebrity for it. 

Blue Straggler 14 Oct 2019

Are you on about what I think you are on about? 

Ridge 14 Oct 2019

I'm not a father, and I can understand why they want to confront the driver, but it feels like they could end up being manipulated by the media.

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yes

In reply to Ridge:

> I'm not a father, and I can understand why they want to confront the driver, but it feels like they could end up being manipulated by the media.

I agree.  Its starting to feel like that story a couple of years ago where about that poor kiddie who was very poorly but the docs said there was nothing which could be done yet even Donald Trump got involved.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, I really am, but as you say, the press circus around these stories tests that sympathy, hence my question.

Post edited at 07:19
 summo 14 Oct 2019

Without the media though the embassies would write a few letters back and forth, then move on to the next cross border problem within a week or two. 

Driving on the other side of road to what you are accustomed to is no excuse for accidentally killing someone. 

TMM 14 Oct 2019

Thankfully I have never been in their position and I would not wish to judge the actions and motivations of anyone who has lost their child.

It is their loss and how they manage and engage with that experience is unique to them as a family, as a couple and as individuals.

I would not seek to judge if they continue their current course of action or if they had not engaged with the media from the outset.

Why does it matter to anyone else?

GravitySucks 14 Oct 2019

This is obviously a terrible incident that has and will continue to affect the parents for the rest of their lives. I appreciate their need for information and closure, however, after hearing and interview with the family's PR man! (a very slick american lawyer) followed by their English lawyer I cannot help but feel that the family are being manipilated, presumably for some finacial gain, not necessarily theirs.

Despite an offer from the accused to meet the family, the snake oil salesman, er I mean PR man, has turned this down in favour of a tour of the US media and to what end ? The claim is that they are not interested in a financial settlement, just some information about the accident and an expression of regret. All of this is currently available but has been turned down on some fatuous 'red line' that all discussions must take place in the UK. It's almost as if they (PR and lawyers) dont want this matter resolved as quickly as possible ???

Who is paying for these high flying American legal eagles? (not to mention the British lawyers), who has paid to fly the family to America and put them up in various hotels whilst dragging them around the country?

If I were the cynical type (ha!) I would suspect a huge civil suit is not far away. I attach no blame to the family, they are are obviously grieving and perhaps susceptible to persuasion but his sorry situation does nothing for the reputation of the American legal system.

> Yes

Why have you put "mothers" in inverted commas in the OP?

In reply to Blue Straggler:

To emphasise the fact that this has been the narrative on all press conferences.  I want to make it clear that I cannot understand what losing a child must do to a person and therefore I dont know quite how I would react but I am deeply suspicious of the motives of the entourage around the parents now and the last poster summed it up much better than I could.

I was also wondering if others get a little fatigued by the sheer airtime these types of stories consume.

> To emphasise the fact that this has been the narrative on all press conferences. 

What's been the narrative? Putting "mother" in inverted commas as if to imply she is not the mother? (genuine question, not a dig. I've not seen these press conferences of which you speak; I've only heard some short radio news bulletins and seen some fleeting online headlines)

TMM 14 Oct 2019

> I was also wondering if others get a little fatigued by the sheer airtime these types of stories consume.

I am sure we are all distessed at learning of your fatigue at this difficult time.

I hope that starting this thread is the first step in learning to manage the pain. 

The news is full of stories I consider to be of no consequence, I was staggered by the level of interest shown in Coleen Rooney last week. The news that a member of the British public has been killed by the wife of an American spook who drove on the wrong side of the road and then fled the country using the cloak of diplomatic immunity despite stating to police that she had no intention of travel is of far greater public interest.

They've obviously got access to travel money and legal and media advice.   That doesn't come for free, most likely it is being provided for a share of a future payout.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...