Antibiotics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 earlsdonwhu 09 Dec 2019

Has anyone here had any adverse effects from taking ciprofloxacin? Would be interested to hear of experiences. I've currently got leg tingling and stiff hips after a lengthy course.  

SouthernSteve 09 Dec 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

tendinitis is reported

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Didn't have any of those, and I was on max dose for a couple if months. It has left me with Tinnitus though

plyometrics 09 Dec 2019
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Sorry to hear you’ve developed tinnitus. It’s an unpleasant condition and I hope it eases. If it’s permanent, then the sooner you can apply the first rule of tinnitus, which is “stop actively trying to listen to it” you’ll have made your first positive step towards dealing with it. 

Feel free to PM if you want some positive vibes from a fellow “sufferer”. 

Take care. 

Post edited at 12:54
In reply to plyometrics:

Thanks. It's permanent, and 6 years now, but fairly mild. I have fishtanks at home for background noise so only really notice it when I'm out sea kayaking or on a mountaintop on a silent windless day. 

cb294 09 Dec 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Don't ask on here, but talk to your GP urgently.

Fluorochinolones like CF have since 2018 been subject to a warning by the EU drug agency that restricts their use, largely due to neurological side effects that can often be irreversible.

CB

Davy Gunn 09 Dec 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Cipro is bad news if you train as it increases the risk of tendon rupture. I pulled my achilles on it for a chronic condition and now only take Trimethoprim. Speak to your GP

OP earlsdonwhu 09 Dec 2019
In reply to cb294:

Thanks. Yes in touch with consultant and GP but cipro seems to have so many negatives that I'm surprised it they are not more widely known and the drug is prescribed so much. I know it is effective for the vast majority but still.....

I know the warnings in the US have been upgraded.

birdie num num 09 Dec 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

You’ll know from your info leaflet that it has a list of side effects as long as your arm. I had a month’s course a few years ago and it made me feel pretty dreadful...up tight, hyperventilating and light headed...to the point that I didn’t know if I’d be able to finish them. I did carry on and finish them and the side effects disappeared some days later. I don’t think I’d like another course ever.

OP earlsdonwhu 09 Dec 2019
In reply to birdie num num:

Glad you are better 

It's hard to make calls when a doctor who you trust prescribes stuff and to evaluate the warnings like 1 in 10000 MAY get symptoms.

Post edited at 18:09
 JimR 09 Dec 2019
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I was on pretty heavy doses for lymes disease for a long time, I ended up with tendon issues although I soon recovered after stopping. Also ended up fairly ill with gluten and dairy allergies. Took me a couple of years to stabilise and recover. How much down to lymes, how much due to cipro it’s difficult to know. However I’d avoid it, if there is an alternative. However I also had major issues with doxycycline due to light sensitivity 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...