Ammo experts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 22 Apr 2024

As I was descending the untracked eastern shoulder of Ben Donich (Above Rest and be Thankful) I came across this unexpected sight. Dozens of spent bullets with what look to me like the clips that hold a belt of them together. Could they be from a machine gun? I think the army might have been about these parts in World War 2.

Post edited at 20:16

petwes 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

My guess would be American 30-06 from a belt fed machine gun. Possibly blanks based on the crimping on the end of the cartridge. 

Post edited at 20:36
 CantClimbTom 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Far more modern. Without any scale I'd guess at the NATO standard 5.56 round...  blanks 

djwilse 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Not an expert but I would say they look like 7.62mm blanks, from a GPMG (Gimpy) which arrived early 60's, so later than WW2. If you had any more pics of the end of the spent rounds that would give more info.

ExiledScot 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

They look like blanks, with crimped in noses, possibly still live as they usually flair out more. Could be 30 06 Springfield, nato 7.62, or Winchester 308.. all look similar on pics. Belt fed gpmg ammo can also vary, as these small calibre and round size variations are solved by changing only the barrel.

Bennnjaminnn 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

You've got 43 Commando not far down the road at Faslane that regularly train round the area. It's mostly likely NATO 5.56 fired from a GPMG judging by the rusted link next to the cartridges. They are blanks as said before. The crimped ends are the giveaway. Troops haven't been doing their end ex brass sweep... Pretty poor really. 

Clwyd Chris 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

I remember the days when the Mrs used to go like a belt fed GPMG

DerwentDiluted 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Hard to tell if they are 7.62mm or 5.56mm without some kind of scale.  7.62 fired from GPMG - general purpose machine gun, 5.56mm fired from Minimi light MG. Steel links are disintegrating link. Definitely blanks from the crimped end. The cartridges are usually dated on the base (headstamp) so easy to determine age and usually stamped RG indicating they were manufactured at Radway Green near Crewe.

George Ormerod 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Has someone been machine gunning Deer, as landmines were deemed to be in bad taste?

OP Lankyman 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I didn't think to provide scale or look at the ends. It did surprise me that the military were out on a reasonably popular hill, albeit on the quiet side. Possibly back when these were left it was even quieter. I noticed some absolutely huge rock crevasses on that flank so lots of places to hide and ambush.

jonny taylor 22 Apr 2024
In reply to Bennnjaminnn:

That particular area has also been used extensively for NATO (particularly UK/Netherlands) joint exercises in recent years. We had the surreal experience of walking right through one a few years ago (the area was not closed, and we had no idea in advance). Based on what was playing out, we had a strong suspicion we walked right through the middle of an ambush-in-waiting as we approached Lochgoilhead - but didn’t spot any of that team in the forest.

CantClimbTom 23 Apr 2024
In reply to George Ormerod:

Haggis cull, but keep it quiet  🤐 

wintertree 23 Apr 2024

> Has someone been machine gunning Deer, as landmines were deemed to be in bad taste?

It’s what a friend of mine was doing in Texas with an AR-15 whilst on a trip to photograph the eclipse…

oldie 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> It did surprise me that the military were out on a reasonably popular hill, albeit on the quiet side. Possibly back when these were left it was even quieter. 

At least in the 1970s it was still possible to find WW2 stuff including parts of mortar ammo on the far side of Llyn Ogwen from what is now the information centre.

Ridge 23 Apr 2024
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Proportion wise I'd guess at 7.62 due to the thickness of the rim, but hard to tell. Definitely blank, but odd to see so many seem to have failed.

George Ormerod 23 Apr 2024
In reply to wintertree:

> It’s what a friend of mine was doing in Texas with an AR-15 whilst on a trip to photograph the eclipse…

Doesn’t seem very sporting. Couldn’t they have given the Deer AK47s to level things up a bit?

wintertree 23 Apr 2024

> Doesn’t seem very sporting. Couldn’t they have given the Deer AK47s to level things up a bit?

Ah sorry it was wild pigs, not deer.  Don’t think you’d want to run out of ammunition around the pigs.  I’d have thought an American legal slug gun would have been less overkill. Apparently they’re diseases riddled and no good for eating.

Ridge 23 Apr 2024
In reply to wintertree:

> Ah sorry it was wild pigs, not deer.  Don’t think you’d want to run out of ammunition around the pigs.  I’d have thought an American legal slug gun would have been less overkill. Apparently they’re diseases riddled and no good for eating.

I've seen videos of these 'hog hunts'. Overkill is the objective, it's all about firing the maximum amount of ammunition into the maximum number of animals without bothering about boring stuff like effective shot placement to ensure a relatively painless 'kill'.

Truly the unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable, IMHO.

owlart 23 Apr 2024
In reply to wintertree:

> American legal slug gun 

How big are the slugs there if you need a gun to kill them?

Niall_H 23 Apr 2024
In reply to wintertree:

> it was wild pigs, not deer.

Were there 30-50 of them?

In reply to Lankyman:

I'd go with NATO 7.62 link-fed blanks, judging by shape and condition. Based on childhood spent running around a blank-fire training ground... Probably fired by GPMG. As others have noted, the date & manuf code will be stamped on the rim. As might identifier, e.g. L10A1 for the blank round.

wintertree 23 Apr 2024
In reply to owlart:

At least unlike Niall_H’s post I get your joke!

wercat 23 Apr 2024
In reply to captain paranoia:

the oddest thing I found was on the ground above Sron na Ciche when approaching Sgurr Sgumain, possibly in 2019.  It appeared to be the burnt remains of two A41/A42 radio batteries and some accompanying U2 sized batteries with cardboard sleeves (remember how long ago "leakproof" U2 batteries came in - I don't think I've seen a cardboard sleeve since the 1960s) as well as some original type ring-pulls from beer cans.

I wondered if the presence of 2 batteries left up there might have been left by a VHF "rebro" crew long ago.

Post edited at 16:08
 CantClimbTom 23 Apr 2024
In reply to oldie:

Given ww2 ended approx 80 years ago, anywhere with plant life will have probably grown over so you'd have to dig/rummage a bit. These pics show the cases on top of grass stems.

But it's amazing what people used to leave lying about without too much concern. Maybe back then daft people were less likely to fiddle with stuff and leave it alone

PaulW 23 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

I often walk on Army land. It is very common to find fired blank ammunition, though not in the quantity you saw.

The Army do clear up after their exercises but sometimes they miss stuff.

Doesn't count as crag swag though

wercat 23 Apr 2024
In reply to PaulW:

sometimes the firefights appear to have taken place outside the ranges!

FactorXXX 23 Apr 2024
In reply to wercat:

> sometimes the firefights appear to have taken place outside the ranges!

Years ago (early/mid 80's - possibly at the same time as the Falklands?) I found a similar mound of recently fired 7.62mm and belt links in the middle of the Carmarthen Fan. 
The nearest Training Area is SENTA (Sennybridge) which is 10 miles away and the other side of a major road.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...