Walks from Carter Bar/A68 area

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 it624 15 Apr 2024

Heading up from the East of England to the Borders on Friday, and wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a half-day(ish) hillwalk somewhere near the A68? Haven't really been anywhere in Northumberland before (always whizzed past on the way north of the border), so anything that's of interest is on the cards.

Kalna_kaza 15 Apr 2024
In reply to it624:

I wouldn't describe the walking in that area as amazing, a more rugged bleak moorland type of landscape so I can't suggest a specific walking route. If you do get up onto the border ridge the views are extensive on a clear day. 

However the cycling on offer along the tracks of the Otterburn ranges is excellent, when they aren't blowing things up of course. 

Mark Bull 15 Apr 2024
In reply to it624:

I have not done it, but there is a roughly 7 miles circuit from Byrness following the Pennine Way to Raven's Knowe and Ogre Hill, then back through the woods past Spithope Bothy. 

If you are going as far as Melrose, a wander along the Tweed and over the Eildons is worthwhile. 

wercat 15 Apr 2024
In reply to it624:

Tha A68 takes you through County Durham before Northumberland.   After Tow Law you'll head towards Waskerley (where I helped [in a very small way] to build "the Waskerley Way" in the early 80s, based on an old railway linerunning very high over the moorland).

Wonderful country to see and with a road that heads to Stanhope (Weardale).  The whole area is marvellous.

Post edited at 19:06
 fimm 16 Apr 2024
In reply to Mark Bull:

> I have not done it, but there is a roughly 7 miles circuit from Byrness following the Pennine Way to Raven's Knowe and Ogre Hill, then back through the woods past Spithope Bothy. 

There's a longer version of that route here

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/en_GB/short-routes/walk-way-day-walk-06-upp...

I have not done this (either version) but I think if I had time I would try and get as far as the Roman Camp at Chew Green.

+1 to going over the Eildons.

If you've never stopped at Carter Bar, the view is worth stopping for, IMHO.

matt1984 17 Apr 2024
In reply to it624:

20mins west of the a68 at Colwell and you're at Crag Lough/Peel Crag and Sycamore(less) Gap. It's a nice walk up along the top of the crags then back along the base checking out some classic Northumberland Lines.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10086388515/overview

Stop at the Twice Brewed pub for lunch after.

Robert Durran 17 Apr 2024
In reply to it624:

Another Eildons recommendation. Like mini mountains with great views. Melrose is nice.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...