Shooting Targets. Torver, Blea Tarn, Attermire, Grasmere??

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Godwin 25 Apr 2024
 rsc 25 Apr 2024
In reply to Godwin:

There are two very similar structures just outside Glossop, on Lightside . I probably know less than you about weaponry, but I gather these were used during WW1 for training, with firing taking place from about 300 yards away. 
I wouldn’t have wanted the job of hiding behind one to check/change the targets!

OP Godwin 25 Apr 2024
In reply to rsc:

No, I have thought being behind them could have been frought. If you look at them closely, patterns are inscribed on them, so I wonder if they were whitewashed possibly when in use.

FactorXXX 25 Apr 2024
In reply to Godwin:

I Googled 'Gun target near Blea Tarn' as per your photo title and got this as the top result:
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1455816

OP Godwin 25 Apr 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

DOH

FactorXXX 25 Apr 2024
In reply to Godwin:

Isn't the Internet wonderful!

OP Godwin 26 Apr 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Isn't the Internet wonderful!

Yes learnt a lot I did not know. The only thing I do not know is how widespread they are. With 18 ranges in Cumbria, one at Attermire and one at Glossop, it suggests there could be a lot of them around the country.

rsc 26 Apr 2024
In reply to Godwin:

> Some more info here 

Great find!

Mark Edwards 27 Apr 2024
In reply to rsc:

> I wouldn’t have wanted the job of hiding behind one to check/change the targets!

On the WW1 range on the hill near me there was a 'hut' in front and just to side of the targets where someone would sit and phone back the results to the firing line.

ExiledScot 27 Apr 2024
In reply to Mark Edwards:

You get them on newer ranges too from 70s and 80s, only there is a deep concrete trench below the targets and a walk way. The targets roll up and down vertically on a pulley system. It's an odd place to be, as you do hear what it sounds like to have rounds going over head, obviously after Iraq and Afghanistan live fire experience is less rare. The concern with all these ranges was ricochet off the metal work, stones etc..

FactorXXX 27 Apr 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

You get them on newer ranges too from 70s and 80s, only there is a deep concrete trench below the targets and a walk way. The targets roll up and down vertically on a pulley system.

The Internet once again delivers:
https:/assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a7a0f7de5274a319e777912/JSP403_Vol2_Chap15_DLRSC.pdf

Post edited at 11:53
 Jim Lancs 27 Apr 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

> The Internet once again delivers:

> https:/assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a7a0f7de5274a319e777912/JSP403_Vol2_Chap15_DLRSC.pdf

It's very reassuring that so much thought about safety goes into the design and construction of these ranges.

However . . . as you cycle from Leyburn to Grinton in Swaledale, you notice that one of the ranges on Herontree Allotment, in contrast to all the others, is laid out so they fire towards you on the road. You can see the firing point both around the sides of the butts and over the top as you cycle past. It may be uphill, but it gives a certain urgency to that stretch of the road.

Post edited at 13:31

andyflem 27 Apr 2024
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Herontree 6H is not used anymore. That’s why there are two new ranges side by side Herontree North 6Na and Herontree South 6Nb. When Herontree 6H was in use the road was closed and hence there are two little stone huts top and bottom of that stretch of road where the barriers were and the sentries posted. The lower hut is across from the entrance to range Whipperdale 6G and is damaged and fenced off from where a turning vehicle struck it.

StockportAl 29 Apr 2024
In reply to rsc:

Quite a while back I came across this while pondering the history of the Lightside targets, https://glossopcuriosities.co.uk/2021/10/21/home-on-the-range/

There was also a range at Crowden which was in use into the second half of the 20th century, and the remains of projectiles still about in the target area is a similar mix of late C19 and earlier C20 types.

rsc 29 Apr 2024
In reply to StockportAl:

Fascinating stuff - so it’s older than I thought. I love the advert.

mondite 29 Apr 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

> You get them on newer ranges too from 70s and 80s, only there is a deep concrete trench below the targets and a walk way. The targets roll up and down vertically on a pulley system. It's an odd place to be, as you do hear what it sounds like to have rounds going over head

Think it was one of the colchester ranges where it wasnt a trench but instead a raised bank with a ton of concrete and earth. Still unnerving when some idiot emptied an entire mag into it at approximately ear height as I casually lent against it.

ExiledScot 07:48 Tue
In reply to mondite:

I've been to Fingringhoe, but can't recall what the end was like, I think some newer on long range. Semi electronic where they pick up vibration on the target, so shooting low and kicking up dirt on the target still counted as a hit!  

dread-i 08:26 Tue
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> ... is laid out so they fire towards you on the road.

If you were to google for "Swiss rifle range motorway", you might be surprised at what you find.

wercat 09:07 Tue
In reply to ExiledScot:

and a bit of splatter from the rounds occasionally dropping into the trench or on you!

Perhaps that was why the concrete extended as a narrow roof a bit overhead of the trench

Post edited at 09:11
 wercat 09:09 Tue
In reply to Jim Lancs:

Bloody Hell!

Bellerby,

forgot about that place!

Dunthemall 20:20 Wed

And of course you can climb here  Shooter's Nab. All those pock marks make great holds !

D.botts87 20:57 Thu
In reply to Godwin:

Out over Xmas I was pointed to an old shooting butt on the fells above Elterwater and Grasmere.

If looking on the OS map it was in the grounds between Spedding crag and Dow Bank. Dow bank being the firing line I think. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...