NEW ROUTE CARD: Wastwater Screes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Norman Hadley 23 Dec 2022
The Wastwater Screes are justly admired as a spectacle from across the lake, but not so frequently climbed. True, the ridge that joins the two Wainwrights, Whin Rigg and Illgill Head, is a hands-in-pockets grassy romp rather than the pinnacled arete that might be imagined from below. But it’s an enjoyable romp, with impressive views to Yewbarrow and Gable, followed by the gloriously rough track that improbably picks its way back along the southern lakeshore. Finally, at the lake-foot, the classic prospect of the dalehead is revealed, with ample opportunities for photographic compositions.

10.30 miles, 16.58 km, 803m ascent, 5 – 6 hours. Nether Wasdale

Read more

In reply to Norman Hadley:

Hmm, the walk back along the Lakeshore. Finally got round to doing it this year. Don't be fooled by the red dotted line on the OS map, this is about as far removed from a footpath as it gets. A necessary but deeply unpleasant experience. Did it with my dog, a very fit labrador. She hated it too.

Pedro50 23 Dec 2022
In reply to colin struthers:

Agreed it's interminable and unpleasant.

r0b 23 Dec 2022

I didn't think the screes were too bad (we did this route the other way round starting from Wasdale, so screes first) but we came across a guy who had taken a tumble after a rock had shifted under him and helped him and his partner to easier ground (luckily the fall had happened very close to the end of the screes)

OP Norman Hadley 23 Dec 2022

You're right, Colin, it is very rough. I ran it a couple of years ago, if you can call that ungainly series of convulsions running. I described it to my wife as like trying to run across a scrapyard of broken washing machines and she didn't feel she'd missed out.

I also recall walking it as child of 5 or 6, cowering behind a boulder with my sisters when there was a slither of stones higher up. I can easily imagine a labrador would have difficulty on that terrain - hope there was no lasting damage. 

I still love it, though - its a slice of wildness perhaps more Highland than Lakeland. 

Post edited at 12:35
 Kalna_kaza 23 Dec 2022

My advice for crossing the screes is when any sort of path starts to disappear, try and stay on the same level until you come out of the other side. It's very tempting to go up or down in order to find an easier route but you just end up fighting the same scramble on a more vertical axis later on.

Lankyman 23 Dec 2022

Did Illgill Head and Whin Rigg a few years ago coming up from Miterdale. It was a bit of a plod up steep grass in parts but you got the sudden reveal of the huge gulfs and NO horrendous lakeside scramble. Did that once when I was sixteen ...

In reply to Kalna_kaza:

Not a bad plan, KK. A touch of "use the Force" can also help. 😉

In reply to Lankyman:

I quite like the idea of the drop arriving with a sudden "ta-da!", lankyman, but I couldn't cope without that view from the foot of the lake.

Godwin 23 Dec 2022

A walk we enjoyed was to park at the Car Park below Irton Fell, and follow paths to the end of Wast Water, through a rather comical Farm Yard, and start across The Screes, but take a slanting path up to the Gully that holds Cam Crag, this path is rather exposed. 
From here you get a good view of No But a Fleein Thing, and the sides of the Gully frame Wast Water rather nicely, then continue up the Gully, which is an easy scramble, to top out on Illgill, then take a very satisfying westerly path direct to Irton Pike and return to your Motor.

> Hmm, the walk back along the Lakeshore. Finally got round to doing it this year. Don't be fooled by the red dotted line on the OS map, this is about as far removed from a footpath as it gets. A necessary but deeply unpleasant experience. Did it with my dog, a very fit labrador. She hated it too.

My memory of it is that it's absolutely horrendous. I'd put that in capital letters if it didn't look as if I'm shouting.

AgentOrange76 24 Dec 2022
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Not one for the wife then, given her preference for paved surfaces.

I had always wondered if anyone actually walked that as you can see what I have taken to be the path from the road side of Wast water but never seen anyone anywhere near it. We were thinking of a route like this in the summer. 

With the less adventrous in tow I think the road back to the car will be in order.

greg_may_ 24 Dec 2022

It's definitely an interesting return route, we've done it a few time in fell shoes while linking up various climbs. But, it's not one I'd choose to do for the "fun" of it.

wilkesley 24 Dec 2022

Sometime in the early 1980's I did this walk with a friend. We were camping at Wasdale opposite the pub. We drove down to the western end of the scree and parked my car. We walked back to Wasdale along the screes (once done never to be repeated). When we got to Wasdale Head we discovered that he had left the key to his car in my car, which was parked at the other end of the scree. Grr!. We had to walk all the way back to recover my car and drive back to Wasdale Head.

Ridge 25 Dec 2022

Done it a few times. Route finding seems much easier if you start from the Wasdale end of the screed.

Not exactly enjoyable IMHO (neither is it so dangerous it needs warning notices as keeps cropping up on FB).

OP Norman Hadley 25 Dec 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I'd be curious to see that line sketched on a map of you get a chance, U D.

OP Norman Hadley 25 Dec 2022
In reply to wilkesley:

It could have been worse, wilkesley: the key could have been dropped somewhere among the boulders. You'd probably be searching for it to this day. 

OP Norman Hadley 26 Dec 2022
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

"I'd put that in capital letters if it didn't look as if I'm shouting."

"We'll have no shouting here..."

A walk across The Screes is an experience unique in England, nothing quite like it. I know that some people don't like crossing such rough terrain, but I positively revel in it - was disappointed when the screes came to an end and the path re-appeared.

Particularly like this description "... the gloriously rough track that improbably picks its way back along the southern lakeshore" - sums up the experience perfectly.

OP Norman Hadley 26 Dec 2022
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

Thanks, WaW - this is the kind of feedback that makes a route-wrangler's day. 😀

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...