NEW ROUTE CARD: The Carlingill Circuit - the most viewed walk in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamUney 25 Oct 2023
How many times have you driven north on the M6, and as you've neared Tebay, marvelled at the magnificent elephantine bulges and ridges of the Howgill Fells to the east of the motorway? And how many times have you made the detour from Tebay junction to explore these wonderful fells? If the answer is 'many times' to the first question, and 'never' to the second then you are just one of thousands of hillwalkers who really ought to go and discover one of the not-so-hidden gems of the North of England. This circuit around Carlingill Beck takes in Uldale Head and Fell Head, and has to be among the finest walks for views anywhere.

4.90 miles, 7.89 km, 585m ascent, 3 – 4 hours. Sedbergh, Kirkby Stephen, or Penrith

Read more

In reply to GrahamUney:

Thanks for this Graham.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been driving home up the M6 and looked over at that western flank of the Howgills and thought it looked brilliant. I've never yet done a detour to find out. But that clearly ought to change.

Lankyman 26 Oct 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Take care on your approach from the M6. The lanes leading to Carlingill are some of the narrowest, windy beggars going. If you pass over the Crook of Lune bridge even small cars just have inches either side. There are always fresh scrape marks on the parapets.

Mal Grey 03 Nov 2023
In reply to GrahamUney:

I too have spent over three decades driving past these hills and thinking "ooh, must go up those one day". Yep, never have.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...