Strange dizziness when hiking uphill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wainright 29 May 2023

Hi folks,

Not sure this is really the right place to post this, but just wondered if some of the more wise among you could possibly offer any reason why this might be happening? or if anyone has experienced similar?

On a couple of occasions recently, when hiking steep ground, I am experiencing an odd dizziness that just comes on quickly and the surroundings look a little strange, it literally goes away in seconds if I just sit down.

I have been hiking for 35 years and never experienced anything like this before, it isn't like vertigo and is not happening on particularly exposed ground. 

Obviously I will seek medical advice, but was really just curious if anyone else had experience of this happening.

Thank you

Wimlands 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

Dehydration maybe ?

Cog 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

Is your blood pressure ok?

OP wainright 29 May 2023
In reply to Wimlands:

Could that be a possible reason? how does this cause dizziness?

OP wainright 29 May 2023
In reply to Cog:

Blood pressure is fine as far as I am aware, never experienced this problem before to be honest

John Gresty 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

From personal experience, get yourself checked.

John

CameronDuff14 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

I've had something similar, and it turned out to be an iron deficiency. Definitely worth speaking to your GP about!

The Norris 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

> Could that be a possible reason? how does this cause dizziness?

Dehydration reduces the volume of blood circulating your body, this can reduce your blood pressure, meaning you can suffer dizziness. Sounds like a plausible explanation, and as we all age, I guess the effects of this type of thing become a bit more noticeable with time.

Jamie Hageman 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

It could be an inner ear imbalance - 

from google: BPPV occurs when calcium crystals in your inner ear — which help control your balance — are dislodged from their normal positions and move elsewhere in the inner ear. BPPV is the most common cause of vertigo in adults. You might experience a spinning sensation when turning in bed or tilting your head back to look up

OP wainright 29 May 2023
In reply to John Gresty:

Yes, I will get it checked, just wondered if anyone could offer possible reasons that I could try before I do so.

leon 1 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright: Probably best to ignore all the guesses on here and go and see a professional who actually knows what they're talking about and can discuss your symptoms properly and run appropriate tests

Good luck with whatever it is 

Lankyman 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

As others have posted it could be down to a number of issues. I've had similar incidents just from a build up of ear wax (or even just water in my ear). Also getting a new prescription for glasses can create problems.

You aren't trialling a brain chip implant for Elon Musk are you?

peppermill 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

Could be many many things from anaemia to cardiac issues to ear problems to undiagnosed diabetes. 

Sounds alarmist but what I'm trying to say is they're fairly vague symptoms so the only advice worth listening to from UKC is "go and see your GP" and try to get the appropriate tests to work out what's going on

In reply to wainright:

> Yes, I will get it checked, just wondered if anyone could offer possible reasons that I could try before I do so.

Symptoms like dizziness which go away on sitting are often the body’s way of saying that, for whatever reason, it’s struggling to get enough blood to the brain (due to gravity your body has to work harder when standing to get blood up and down your whole body). The brain is a thirsty bugger so it’ll do something to get you sitting or lying down pretty promptly if it isn’t getting something it needs.

Might be something fairly benign but I’d prioritise the GP visit over the self-help approach, unless you’ve suddenly changed something obviously relevant about your day (like started fasting or carrying significantly less fluid). 

OP wainright 29 May 2023
In reply to Stuart Williams:

Thank you, appreciate your input

Tringa 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

Have a look at Meniere's disease.

Although you said your experience wasn't like vertigo(which is a common symptom of Meniere's disease) it also comes on very quickly, literally seconds from perfectly normal to having fuzzy  hearing, vertigo and balance problems.

It would last anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes and then as quickly it disappeared. I had it on and off for a few years but the time between events became longer and longer and it eventually disappeared completely.

Dave

OP wainright 29 May 2023
In reply to Tringa:

Thank you, yes, a possibility I suppose, but this seems directly related to working hard climbing uphills. 

Pekkie 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

This could be something benign or a symptom of something that could paralyse or kill you. Don’t take the advice of strangers on UKC, get your ass to your GP as soon as you can.

midgen 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

Since I had COVID last year I've been suffering heart trouble. Shortly after I got over the initial symptoms I tried to climb and my heart was pounding out of my chest as soon as I got on the wall and I had to stop.

It's progressively improved since then, in terms of what heart rate triggers it....now I have to be working quite hard cardio-wise, extended hill climbing does it and I need to stop to let my heart settle. No useful diagnosis from various NHS investigations.

Not useful I know....but COVID does have odd lingering symptoms, could be a factor?

OP wainright 29 May 2023
In reply to Pekkie:

Thanks Pekkie, I intend to do that

Pekkie 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright: It’s for the best. I speak from bitter experience. I’ve had two ‘dos’ over the last few years which started with similar symptoms to you. First was a stroke which was treated with surgery and medication. And I write this from a hospital bed where I am being pumped full of antibiotics for an infected heart valve. And I was Mr Fitness personified before all this!

OP wainright 29 May 2023
In reply to Pekkie:

So sorry to hear this, I sincerely hope you get back to full health very soon.

It appears that this can be caused by so many things, some fixable, some more serious, but like you say, take no chances

profitofdoom 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

Over the last few years I have had 2 sudden dizzy spells, both on tops of hills. It was disconcerting because I had to stand still for several minutes while it slowly went away. I was very bothered by it. I didn't go to the doctor because it never came back

This I just my story - this is absolutely not advice to you in any way 

Good luck with it 

OP wainright 29 May 2023
In reply to profitofdoom:

was that after the exertion of ascending the hill?? that is what is happening here, or the first time it happened was actually half way up, second time, on reaching the top.

Yes, it is disconcerting, yet it was over in a matter of seconds after sitting down, then able to proceed as is nothing had happened..all very strange

profitofdoom 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

> was that after the exertion of ascending the hill??.......

Yes, for me both times were near the top, just gone over and starting to come down again. Just got my breath back when it happened. Both times on the move

OP wainright 29 May 2023
In reply to profitofdoom:

Thanks, in all the years I have been hiking, up so many hills and mountains, never experienced anything like it before

In reply to wainright:

That sounds to me like it could be low blood sugar. As you get older your body becomes less efficient at regulating that. 

However, best to speak to your GP. 

rurp 29 May 2023
In reply to wainright:

Any unusual and unpleasant symptoms that are 1) consistent…(happen each time you do the same thing) 

and are 2) exertional and relived by rest … (happen when you are pushing the body hard and resolve quickly on resting) 

sound like they may well represent a significant medical problem. Please make that appointment. 

(I’m in the trade )

OP wainright 29 May 2023
In reply to rurp:

In the trade?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...