Moel Siabod routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sleepymouse 04 Jul 2022

Hi everyone

Would anyone be able to suggest any grade 1 scramble routes up Moel Siabod suitable for relative novices, also any good parking suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you in advance 

broken spectre 04 Jul 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

Daear Ddu ridge (Grade 1) would be the obvious suggestion, although I've never actually done it, I passed the base then corkscrewed clockwise up the back of the hill, intercepting a fence by the summit. 'Tis a lovely hill. I think I parked at the Bryn-Glo B&B.

Tyler 04 Jul 2022
In reply to broken spectre:

> Daear Ddu ridge (Grade 1) would be the obvious suggestion, although I've never actually done it,

I happened to do this the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was and then you get a nice rocky traverse of the top as you descend. I ignored the advice to go south of Llyn y Foel which was a mistake but it wasn’t that obvious where the path forked  

Big Steve 04 Jul 2022
In reply to broken spectre:

Its a very nice route, the scramble can be made as easy or as hard as you want. I like to park at Bryn Glo (get there early for a summer weekend) then descend the main obvious path and cut through the woodland on the forestry tracks and walk along the river Afon Llugwy, there are some nice spots to to take your boots of and have a paddle

waterfall 04 Jul 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

stick to the right hand side for the better scrambling, i found it to be at the much lower end of grade one

there's a great spot for a wild swim should you be into that sort of thing!

Welsh Kate 04 Jul 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

Def the Daear Ddu ridge. What everyone is saying about it - stick to the right for the more interesting stuff, but it's really easy to step to the left for easier ground. A really nice route that's great for confidence-building.

wilkesley 04 Jul 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

Daear Ddu is straightforward. In the unlikely event of finding it too hard, it's easy enough to veer off to the left and follow one of the paths to the summit. If you start from Capel Curig you need to cross some boggy ground to get to the bottom of the ridge. The bogginess depends on the season and recent rainfall, but you may get damp feet!

You can usually find a room to park at Bryn Glo.

CantClimbTom 04 Jul 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

It'd be better to walk via Daear Ddu if looking for a scramble, as others say, but even if you just parked near the Cyfyng Falls and walked directly up the main ridge North of the summit you'd still have a lovely walk with a slightly scrambly bit in places (entirely optional and avoidable). I'd say that's the dryer of the routes underfoot but it's Wales so I don't guarantee dryness anywhere

It'd be hard to make a wrong choice with Moel Siabod. Enjoy!

Post edited at 22:24
 Jimbo C 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

Another shout for Daear Ddu. It's a beautiful route and the scrambling can go at anywhere between barely grade 1, and grade 2/3 depending on the line taken. Sticking religiously to the crest gives the hardest scrambling and is fun but becomes very artificial as there are so many easier lines available.

In reply to Sleepymouse:

We're all in agreement that Daear Ddu is the place to be, a lovely wee ridge. Here's a route description courtesy of Nick Livesey who lives at the bottom of the hill

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=119 

OP Sleepymouse 05 Jul 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

Thank you to everyone for their input. If the weather improves this week we'll give it a go, unfortunately the weather this past 2 weeks hasn't been great. We were planning on going up Tryfan yesterday but it was grim and raining at 7:30, so ended up going up the rhyd duu path instead. Still got wet and it was quite windy and quite cold at the top

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...