Logging Hills/Tops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 16 Oct 2022

I've never real been one for logging hills and tops, but I've spent the weekend with a friend who is slowly walking many in her retirement and it seemed nice to be able to look at a map and see where I've been.

She uses British Hills (Android) but I wondered if any other recommendations for apps, maybe one with better interface for adding hills.

russellcampbell 16 Oct 2022
 HardenClimber 16 Oct 2022
In reply to Philip:

I really like British Hills, but I think it is now an abandoned relic and will gradually slip into disrepair.

If you do Strava, Summit Bag is good.

Hill-bagging (as per Russell) is a bit ponderous and browser based, but seems to have a large enough support base that it will keep going...

Siward 16 Oct 2022
In reply to Philip:

A paper record, i suggest.

Photograph it every year or two just in case though. I

ERNIESHACK 16 Oct 2022
In reply to Philip:

Munro bagging which will only work for Scotland.

My Viewranger still works and I have created hundreds of points of interest.

The new Viewranger is Outdoor Active and you can create waypoints if course. As others have done I also have an A4 book with all the hills done, dates, names height, weather and general remarks which is the best and most original.

Mick r 16 Oct 2022
In reply to Philip:

I used UKH when I did the Wainwright's, but it helped that there was already a tick list set up for them. Other apps are a pain as you have to tick each hill one at a time, which is cumbersome (did 22 Birketts one day)  However, UKH doesn't give you the nice visual map of your summits, so I'm using Walk Lakes, which is the best of the rest, but only covers the Lake District I think.

If you don't need the map, UKH is easiest, and obviously familiar if you use a log book on UKC. Also allows you to add hills really easily

Flinticus 17 Oct 2022
In reply to HardenClimber:

I use British Hills and used to use Scottish Hills before that site died.

nickcanute 30 Oct 2022
In reply to Philip:

I use hillbagging.co.uk 

Exhaustive hill lists of every category including some really obscure ones. Gives you totals for whatever category you wish to tally and you can use a map search to zoom into any area UK and Ireland.

Useful to read people's logs for best parking and routes for lesser known hills such as lower Marilyns and ones with access difficulties. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...