Knees and Ankles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CragRat11 29 Dec 2023

I’m going to turn 40 in January and have been fairly free from injury throughout my life. I skated and skied a lot throughout my teens and early 20’s, and through my work have spent a reasonable amount of time (but not excessive) with heavy packs in the mountains.

On walk ins to crags or mountain days I get sore knees (both ascent and descent), and recently my right ankle has had periods of dull pain in the joint. I wonder if it’s mild arthritis. I’ve turned ankles with heavy packs a lot.

Is this just standard stuff for my fourth decade on the earth, or am I destined for a life of bad knees?

Any supplements I should consider?

Anyone have experience of arthritis in their ankles?

girlymonkey 29 Dec 2023
In reply to CragRat11:

Worth looking into dedicated strength training. I did some sessions with a PT a while ago due to getting lots of niggles while running (I'm 41, so similar stage of life). She got me working on glutes, both strengthening them and making sure I do engage them when I should, and core. It has made a huge difference and I have exercises which I can keep up at home. Of course, it might not be glutes and core for you, but a good PT should be able to see what muscle weaknesses/ imbalance etc you have and help you to work on it. 

Bezz 29 Dec 2023
In reply to CragRat11:

I’ve had knee and ankle injuries through my life but did some of my best running in my early 40’s (partly because I’d never tried hard earlier in life!)

I’ve been to physio’s many times over the years for various lower body injuries, fortunately it’s never been a skeletal issue so I was given exercises to improve strength and flexibility and it’s always worked. 

Do you run / walk often other than approaches to crags? I have found as I’m getting older that I need to exercise consistently to avoid the niggles. 

40 is still young, you’ve hopefully got a few decades of pain free fun to come! 

Post edited at 09:29
 Andypeak 29 Dec 2023
In reply to CragRat11:

I found cycling really helped my dodgy knee. I also take a glucosamine supplement, no idea if it does anything but for the few pounds a month it cost I figured it's worth it. 

neilh 29 Dec 2023
In reply to CragRat11:

Do you use walking poles?

ExiledScot 29 Dec 2023
In reply to CragRat11:

Modifying training is great, but I'd start with your feet, right shoes and inner soles, then work up. Many lower leg or knee problems can be caused by problems lower down. I did a lot of mileage right through my youth, then even more in the hills in 20s, 30s, 40s, always thinking that my sore feet on that last km of tarmac were down to the previous 30. Turns out I have poor arch and mid foot support, causing metatarsalagia, semi bespoke inners and it's a revelation. Plus some extra exercise on top. Prior to this my weird feet were triggering calve problems because the connecting tendons literally run right down the side of your ankle and under the side your foot.

I'd visit a podiatrist and or sports physio, check your gait, foot plant, where your feet apply pressure etc. 

For general muscle strength training you can't go far wrong with gauntlet stairmaster machines. No pounding tarmac running, etc.. and they'll strength all those legs muscles around your joints. Plus balance exercises for ankle strength. 

Post edited at 11:39
 crayefish 29 Dec 2023
In reply to CragRat11:

Probably on the decline from here... hips are an easy fix, knees are not.  I've been resigned to a life of knee pain since my 20s!

But do get walking poles if you don't have them.  They were a revelationnine my 20s and used them continually since.

Jack 29 Dec 2023
In reply to CragRat11:

Get this book:

https://www.awesomebooks.com/book/9781608824946/trigger-point-therapy-workb...

Sort out any niggles before they turn into injuries that stop you. 

jack_44 29 Dec 2023
In reply to CragRat11:

Do some strengthening. 

In reply to CragRat11:

+1 for glucosamine supplement, it takes a while to build up in the system but I've found it to be a helpful addition to my daily vitamin intake. I used to get knee pain before but have found this helps, whether or not its a placebo affect is up for debate, though it's not expensive so probably worth a try. Strength training in conjunction has also helped.

OP CragRat11 29 Dec 2023
In reply to Boris's Johnson:

Many thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about and work with.

From about 35 onwards I've found I get injured very easily and have had various annoying things to try and fix over the past few years. The main one being a back injury that just won't seem to go away, so i'm going back the physio in January. Will talk about knees there!

chalk bunny 30 Dec 2023
In reply to CragRat11:

I had knee pain for a number of years- completely ignored it, which means I am in poistion where I cannot walk or climb or cycle.  I wish I had seen a sports physio earlier to strengthen quads and glutes.  

Hope physio can help

Billhook 30 Dec 2023
In reply to CragRat11:

I'm 73.  I've apart from the odd tendon/muscle problems I've never really had problems with my legs such as you describe.   Problems with hips, bones etc.,  are not necessarily age dependent.

I have a friend who had to have a hip replacement in his late 40s.

But i'd certainly endorse Girl Monkey's advice about going to a physio.   I've had to use one, and whilst I thought it was snake oil I was rather sceptical about its use. .   Not anymore. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...