Hiking in the Shropshire hills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 briansy 10 Nov 2023

Hi all, I have been hitting many of Britain's best hiking spots over the last couple of years and am loving hitting beautiful new places I never would have dreamed of visiting in the last. 

I am quite fit and can do long distances, did the three peaks in Yorkshire in 7 hours and did a seriously tough 18 miler in Dartmoor as recommended by Dan in August which was awesome. But my sweet spot is 8-12 miles. 

I want to go to Shropshire for a long weekend before Xmas and want 3 belting days on the hills. 3-6 hour days outdoors so I guess 8+ miles a day. 

Could anyone make a stab at a decent three day itinerary with links to a gpx file, alltrails, komoot or os maps tour?

Also, any recommendations on where to stay for nice accommodation and decent food options?

​​

OP briansy 10 Nov 2023
In reply to briansy:

Me with all my boasting!

ollieollie 10 Nov 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Here you go

That looks a good route!! 

ollieollie 10 Nov 2023
In reply to briansy:

You could get a nice one day route out of the two clee hills. Done them both a few times but never linked them up but have always wanted too 

Sam W 10 Nov 2023
In reply to briansy:

Might be worth having a look at Shropshire Way.  At the southern end of the county there is also the Mortimer Trail (goes into Herefordshire) and Heart of Wales line trail (which goes into Powys)

Sam W 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Sam W:

Also Jack Mytton Way.

If you're looking at South Shropshire, most of the towns are good for a few days.  Ludlow, Church Stretton, Bishops Castle all recommended.  Shrewsbury is much bigger so has more food/accommodation options but you would probably want to drive/train out each day to start walking.

Much Wenlock and Bridgnorth are also worth considering as bases.

In reply to briansy:

Caer Caradoc & The Lawley are a great walk, recall a good pub somewhere, possibly Cardington.

Post edited at 10:14
 kevin stephens 11 Nov 2023
In reply to briansy:

I was very lucky to spend my childhood wandering those hills; I grew up in Little Stretton

ollieollie 11 Nov 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

> I was very lucky to spend my childhood wandering those hills; I grew up in Little Stretton

Lovely place. Nice little pub I recall 

phizz4 11 Nov 2023
In reply to briansy:

There is a good Cicerone guide to Shropshire.

Fat Bumbly 2.0 11 Nov 2023
In reply to briansy:

The Shropshire footpath network is generally well looked after, so getting a copy of sheet 137 1:50k Ordnance Survey map and just going is a good ploy.  Church Stretton, Bishop's Castle and Ludlow are good centres with accommodation.  The Shropshire Way is not a bad framework to base a route on.

It is a pleasant trip from Ludlow through Craven Arms to Church Stretton.  Another ploy which never seems to get publicised is following a long limestone double ridge that runs from around Ironbridge to southern Radnorshire. The northern edge is famous as Wenlock Edge and particularly well supplied with paths. Be prepared for mud.

Bulls Crack 11 Nov 2023
In reply to briansy:

You should be able to plot a good circuit linking Brown Clee (+ Nordy Bank) and Titterstone Clee

Mark Kemball 12 Nov 2023
In reply to briansy:

A walk I enjoyed as a teenager (far too many years ago) was “The Shropshire Peaks” -  Corndon (actually just in Wales), The Stipperstones, The Long Mynd, Caer Caradoc, then Brown and Titterstone Clees. It’s 36 miles but you could do it over 2 days. 

If you want a short walk, The Lawley, from the north is my favourite hill in Shropshire. 

Post edited at 01:03
 ben b 12 Nov 2023
In reply to briansy:

Shropshire is a fab county for walkers/runners (and ok for climbers too). The Stretton skyline is a great day with fairly straightforward logistics and plenty of food and accommodation options. The Pontesford area to the Stiperstones is also well worthwhile especially if you like a little light industrial archaeology. 

Back in the day the annual Pontesbury Potter was a great way of exploring circuits of footpaths in the area - not sure if it is still running but the guy who ran it seemed able to dream up a new and improbable route each year for about a decade.

Long Mynd tracks eventually run into the Offa's Dyke path network, you can spend days in the area and hardly touch a road or see people other than in the pub...

In reply to briansy:

We've got a couple of Shropshire articles in the back catalogue that may prove useful...

Hillwalking in Shropshire: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/destinations/hillwalking_in_shropshi...

Walking the New Shropshire Way: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/destinations/walking_the_new_shropsh... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...