Compass vs Air Travel… do they mix?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RJML 22 Feb 2023

Hello!

I'm going on a spare of the moment trip to Madeira at the end of this week to walk some of the levada trails.

Hoping to pick up a map when I get there but was going to take my own compass just in case I can’t get one over there.

Just wondered if anyone has had any experience of taking a compass on a plane.

My questions are:

A) Do we think it survive the journey or would the change in pressure damage the compass?

B) Do we think Easy Jet / Manchester airport security will allow it through?

The compass will be in my bag on the plane (rather than in the hold).

Im sure people on here will have experience of this so it would be great to hear how you got on…

Thanks!

R

Pedro50 22 Feb 2023
In reply to RJML:

Totally ignoring your enquiry  there's an excellent app called walk me madeira which gets you to the start and navigates the walk, costs about 5 euros.

rockcatch 22 Feb 2023
In reply to RJML:

I've frequently taken a compass in the cabin on holiday with no issues. Last time was summer 2022 with Easy Jet from Manchester.

Doug 22 Feb 2023
In reply to RJML:

In the past I've frequently flown (including at least once with Easyjet) with a compass in my hand baggage & have never had problems.

robhorton 22 Feb 2023
In reply to RJML:

The lowest cabin pressure would be equivalent to being at about 2500m so it ought to be fine.

Billhook 22 Feb 2023
In reply to RJML:

I've taken a compass many times on an airplane. 

No problems at all - but please don't start telling the pilot he's off course!!!

Pedro50 22 Feb 2023
In reply to RJML:

Surely a levada is about the least likely walk in the world where a compass would be useful?

OP RJML 22 Feb 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Ahhh but you underestimate how easily I can loose a trail

But seriously, I know what you mean. I just thought that it couldn’t hurt to take one with me as long as it survived the journey.

OP RJML 22 Feb 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Great thanks! I will have a look at that.

OP RJML 22 Feb 2023
In reply to RJML:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Sounds like I won’t have any issues.

Thanks again! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...