Winter gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 06 Nov 2022

Afternoon

Im in the market for a pair of winter hillwalking gloves.

Id whittled my choice down to the ME guide gloves but whilst you tubing, have seen these Hestra Falk gloves.

They look really nice, all leather, no membrane and removable pile liners.

Has anyone got any first hand knowledge of these please for mountain use?

Ta

Dave

Fraser 06 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Not for mountain use but I can vouch for the general quality of Hestra gloves.

wbo2 06 Nov 2022
In reply to Dave the Rave: As what he said.  I've got a pair of guides.. they're certainly warm, but I was a bit disappointed with the dexterity, but it depends what you're after

StuDoig 06 Nov 2022

I like the ME guides for general winter use, though if you've not seen them snow shepherd lobster mitts are currently my favorite glove for general winter abuse.

https://www.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Sh...

OP Dave the Rave 06 Nov 2022

Thanks everyone.

Those snow leopard ones look interesting but not sure about gauntlet style.

Ive got some Extremities big mitts if it’s really bad.

My use would be winter hillwalking including ice axe use in snow if we get any. Main use would be for the nightly dog walk up Moel Famau.

Dexterity required will be no more than walking in them. I would hang them on leashes for any compass work or switching torch on etc. No rope work or gear placement. 
ta

dave

Dr.S at work 06 Nov 2022

I'm mildly surprised you dont have some Buffalo Mitts Dave

OP Dave the Rave 06 Nov 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> I'm mildly surprised you dont have some Buffalo Mitts Dave

I did for 25 years or so but they’ve gone to heaven during covid. Got some dachsteins which are great, but want an extra glove for winter. Contemplated some more buff mitts but they’re now £50! 

Dr.S at work 06 Nov 2022

£2 a year still sounds pretty good!

I've got a pair of the montane varient - tougher palm, similar price

Myfyr Tomos 06 Nov 2022

Try these. They're the rebranded Venitex gloves. (Chamonix binmen gloves?) Soak them well with Nikwax and they are brilliant. Dexterity isn't wonderful but, hey, at £12 you can't go wrong. Snowshepherd do a slightly more refined version but still at a good price.  https://tigersafety.co.uk/delta-plus-fbf15-fur-lined-leather-winter-thermal

Post edited at 19:46
 CantClimbTom 08 Nov 2022

Hestra Falk glove are about £110????

For hillwalking you're better off with mitts warmer and lighter, but if you want gloves use Myfyr's link above.

But if you want to leave a lasting impression on passing walkers, try these https://www.screwfix.com/p/showa-690-chemical-hazard-25-gauntlets-blue-x-la... Nobody will be brave enough to ask why!

Post edited at 19:09
 Michael Chan 08 Nov 2022

I bought a pair of fleece lined rubber work gloves in a Chamonix DIY store for €10

Something like this: https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/skytec-argon-waterproof-thermal-gloves.html

I've been very impressed by my alpkit frazil gloves, so impressed I went and bought a second pair. I find them better than my £80 something ME gloves.

very warm, very comfy. They are a little bit stiff for the first couple of wears but once warn in the dexterity is fantastic. 

SNC 09 Nov 2022

I have had a pair for several years, for winter hill-walking (and indeed winter dog-walking if cold enough).  Solid and well made.  The removable liners are good (wool, I think).  You could also put the leather outer over a thin fleece glove, or indeed wear it on its own.  Dexterity is ok for hill-walking, but perhaps not for placing gear etc.  If I could, I'd improve them with a draw cord on the wrist opening to close it against your jacket in horrible weather - but they still are my main winter glove.  HTH.

I got given an old pair of gloves (can't remember brand and it's worn off) that are fingerless but with the mitten flap! Windstopper fabric etc. I find them excellent for general winter walking as I get so hot!

They look incredibly childish but I love them!! If you can find something similar I fully recommend. I'll try and find out what brand they are.

Guy Hurst 09 Nov 2022
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

I have an old pair of Lowe Alpine fingerless gloves/mitts which are really good. They're warm enough for winter hill walking conditions and give the option of great dexterity for photography or eating lunch. I think ME currently do a similar combi mitt.

The temptation is to get a real full on winter climbing glove which will be too hot and bulky for walking. Not that I've ever made that mistake.

Toerag 10 Nov 2022

I got myself some Roeckl gloves a couple of winters ago for snowshoeing in the alps - replacements for Lowe Alpine Mountain gloves.  They're very good, although can get too warm in good conditions (working uphill, no wind, above freezing).  Best thing about them is the wrist loops and leashes so you can whip them off without having to put them somewhere safe.  Black diamond make these to fit to gloves without them.  I'd suggest trying gloves on if possible, I found that very useful to get the best fit for the lengths of my fingers.  I also think waterproofness is very important - by the end of their life my Lowe gloves weren't and that was a bad thing.  No fun feeling puddles gathering in the fingertips!

Post edited at 11:46
 Brownie 10 Nov 2022
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Got these convertible glove mitts for work days and they are good when I need to write things - I sometimes wear thin gloves under them too, windproof fleece but do get soggy eventually in persistent rain, but still warm. Not really good enough dexterity wise for climbing - buy a size up as smallish fitting.

Dirtboot brand - don't have magnets in the fold back mitt unlike some other brands  https://www.koalaproducts.co.uk/accessories/socks-gloves/dirt-boot-polar-th...

B

In reply to Toerag:

> I'd suggest trying gloves on if possible, I found that very useful to get the best fit for the lengths of my fingers.

Like with footwear, fit for gloves is pretty vital. I often find that fingers are far too long.

OP Dave the Rave 10 Nov 2022
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks everyone, some good recommendations and I’ve had a look at them all.

I actually found a post on the Hestra gloves from 2010 where someone used them for climbing and winter use and the feedback seemed good, 

A you tube climber has also praised these gloves and says a good pint is that they dry quickly in the field when the liners are taken out. This seems a good trade for the price and longevity set against a membraned glove that will eventually fail like a fabric boot and dry slowly or not at all.

Im going to give the Hestras a punt.

Cheers

Dave

Toerag 11 Nov 2022
In reply to Toerag:

Oh, another thing about leashes - if they're fitted at the wrist of the glove the glove will fill up with snow or rain dripping off your sleeve. I'm sure I've seen a glove with the leash anchorage on the back of a finger/knuckle to make them hang 'wrist hole down' and avoid this problem.

GEd_83 13 Nov 2022

I got a pair of these on the basis of a few recommendations just as cheapo back up gloves for my winter ML. They ended up outperforming my black diamond and mountain equipment gloves during that week, and they're now my go to for winter walking, although I wouldn't use them for winter climbing. You can get them in gauntlet version too.

https://www.workgloves.co.uk/297_11_single.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyMKbBhD1ARIsA...

Post edited at 10:53

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...