What boots and other equipement for winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dan James 01 Jul 2019

I've been out scrambling a few times of striding edge and done a whole load of hill walking, and I've been thinking of stepping things up a notch and heading out of some harder routes (crib goch, sharp edge, jacks rake, tryfan etc.) and also getting out the coming winter for the first time, starting off on classic hill walks and working my way up to scrambles as I get more confident and competent on ice over easier terrain.

Firstly I was wondering what sort of boots I should opt for. Right now I'm using cheapo go outdoors own-brand walking boots. They serve a purpose but it's clear that they're not the best boots out there and I want to upgrade to something I can trust a little more on challenging terrain.

Given that I want to give some winter walks/scrambles a go, would regular walking boots do, or is it imperitive that I go for mountaineering boots, engineered to be used with crampons?

Are there any other pieces of gear considered winter essentials? I fully understand the concept of layering and what clothing I should be wearing, but should I also be looking at getting myself an ice axe and gaiters and some other more specific bits of kit?

Suncream 02 Jul 2019
In reply to Dan James:

For summer scrambles I prefer trail running shoes to walking boots. You can get a decent pair from Decathlon without breaking the bank. As the scrambles become harder you might consider approach shoes, but none of the routes you mention involve difficult footwork.

Winter scrambling is a very different activity and not to be taken lightly. Typically you'll want some rope experience, but even if not you'll need solid B2 boots and crampons and an axe.

Winter hillwalking can be a range of different things, from a gentle plod in soft powder that doesn't need any special equipment to something that's basically mountaineering.

kwoods 02 Jul 2019
In reply to Dan James:

In my experience you don't *need* the mountaineering boots for the winter hills (and I didn't use them for years on Scottish hills), but they're definitely helpful. If you're looking for a single purchase I'd just go straight to a pair of comfy B2s, they're so worth it (though bog will just kill them!)

Howard J 02 Jul 2019
In reply to Dan James:

Definitely an ice axe, but you'll also need to learn how to use it. It's not a walking stick, you use it to self-arrest if you slip, and also for belays on more technical ground.  If you only intend to do winter hillwalking then a light B-rated walker's axe is probably sufficient, but if you think you might get into scrambles and more difficult terrain then it's probably worth going for a T-rated mountaineering axe, which is stronger. Avoid the technical ice climbing axes though.  There's lots of advice on-line on how to choose an axe.  

You should also get boots which will take crampons.  Gaiters are a personal choice, I like them and wear them a lot throughout the year to keep mud and crap off my trousers, but others dislike them.  Some winter trousers have internal gaiters which will keep snow out of your boots.

When wearing crampons, gaiters reduce the chance of catching the points in your trousers (and protect the trousers from crampon tears) but you can still catch them on the straps.  Either way you end up on your face, and maybe needing your axe to self-arrest.

It would be well worth going on a winter skills course, where in addition to learning the necessary skills you'll be able to try out gear and discuss what to get with the instructors.

olddirtydoggy 02 Jul 2019
In reply to Dan James:

The choice of kit is just often a grade heavier for winter. Much of the kit carries over but a belay jacket for UK winter I personally find a great purchase. For winter climbing I use a heavy one for static periods but a lighter Montane Prism as a throw over for winter scrambles and hikes has often kept me warm. Waterproof trousers with reinforced patches to avoid crampon damage are better than those without. Does the hood on your rain jacket go over your helmet? Thick pair of waterproof gloves.

tehmarks 02 Jul 2019
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

I'd agree with this. What I wear in winter is pretty much identical to what I wear in summer - stretchy softshell trousers, stretchy softshell jacket - but heavier fabric, and over a Patagonia Nano Air and fleece leggings. Ive been out in some pretty minging weather in Scotland in that combination, and it's like wearing a suit of armour. It'd have to be absolutely dire before I'd consider putting a hardshell on though, there's just no need the vast majority of the time. 

tehmarks 02 Jul 2019
In reply to Dan James:

An ice axe is essential the instant you leave flat ground with snow about, and crampons are nigh on essential if there's any chance you'll encounter more than the odd patch of neve (frozen snow) or ice. I don't personally use gaiters, but all my trousers have gaiter hooks to stop snow casually entering the top of my boot, and I try to avoid wading in anything more inconvenient.

You'll also want a couple of reasonable pairs of gloves or mitts; only having one pair and losing one to the wind will cause a drama, and only having one pair and getting them thoroughly soaked won't be much fun either. A pair of Buffalo mitts make an ideal emergency pair to keep in your bag for, well, emergencies. I'm also a big fan of Dachsteins for walking, when you don't need to fiddle with krabs and ropes and gear every few minutes.

Denzil 02 Jul 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

> A pair of Buffalo mitts make an ideal emergency pair to keep in your bag for, well, emergencies.

get the Buffalo mitts one size bigger than you need - you’ll probably end up trying to put them on cold, damp hands with limited dexterity. So much easier if they are a little bigger.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...