totem basic 0.5 blue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mishabruml 05 Aug 2020

sadly lost my totem basic 0.5 (blue one) last week.

I think I read that they weren't being manufactured any more, is that still the case?

Anyone know when or where I can buy one? cheers

jezb1 05 Aug 2020
In reply to mishabruml:

Don’t think you’ve got any chance sadly. 

Dragonflies seem to be the thing to go for instead.

CMcBain 05 Aug 2020
In reply to mishabruml:

Sadly they are still not being produced, which is a real shame as I reckon they were the best micro cam you could buy at the time. A couple of mine are starting to look pretty rough too...

Needlesports sell the Alien Revolution Cam which seems like the closest thing you can buy, similar to totem basics they are a replica of the original alien cams. They come with the option of a doubled sling and a size black unlike the totem basics.

There was an incarnation of the aliens that had pretty poor quality control, I think the ones made by CCH. I’m not sure if this has doubled over to the Alien Revolution Cams I mentioned above.

If you find anyone with a stockpile of the totem basics let me know.

dinodinosaur 05 Aug 2020
In reply to mishabruml:

I've got a blue totem basic and I love it! When mine dies I'll probably replace it with the blue and yellow dragonflys as they seem to do a good job of covering the range the old totem blue did plus a bit. Here's a screenshot of Cam-parison website with equivalent sizes. 

Post edited at 19:42

OP mishabruml 06 Aug 2020
In reply to mishabruml:

thanks for the replies, looks like it will be dragonflies to replace then. I emailed Totem to double check and heres the reply: 

Hello Misha,

First off all, thank you for contacting us.

The production of the basic model was stopped in 2017 due to the recall issue...so unfortunately we can not help you.

I apologize by the inconvenient.

Post edited at 12:41
 Aly 07 Aug 2020
In reply to mishabruml:

I think the closest like-for-like replacement would be the blue Alien revolution, as both they and the totems are based on the same cam (the old CCH alien).  The DMM dragonflys are also a copy of the aliens but the sizing is slightly different, they don’t make a ‘blue alien’.

I would post a pic of my CCH alien, totem basic, and revolution next to each other but it appears I’d have to pay ukc for that, but they’re basically identical.  The revolution cams definitely have a narrower head size though, great for small pockets.  I’ve not used the dragonflys. 

Graham 08 Aug 2020
In reply to mishabruml:

Totem made re-branded basics for Kailas and there are still some of those floating about (exact same as the basic, just says Kailas instead of Totem).  I just got a brand new set of totem basic offsets from VertiCall in Canada.  Marc-Olivier (the owner of VertiCall) somehow has a line on overstock Kailas Totem Basics.  

Good luck

ollyroberts 09 Aug 2020
In reply to mishabruml:

I got a couple from needlesports last year. Are these the same you’re looking for? 

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Climbing-Equipment/Rock-Trad-Climbin...

Tigger 10 Aug 2020
In reply to mishabruml:

I use Totem Basics still but my GF has Alien Revolutions both seem to be holding up well atm.

Out of curiosity, between the Dragonflys, Revolutions and Totem Basics which has the softest/hardest lobe alloy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...