PRODUCT NEWS: Therm-a-Rest® Introduces the World’s Fastest Self-Inflating Mattress

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 04 May 2017
, 2 kbWith the Pinnacle Fusion of AirFrame? Construction and SpeedValve? Technology, the new Trail King SV is poised to rule the world of camping mattresses.

Read more
 climb the peak 04 May 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Non-self-inflating sleeping mats save weight and reduce packing volume by not having foam, so what's the point in self-inflating camping mats as opposed to ones that take only a few minutes to inflate?
 tingle 04 May 2017
In reply to climb the peak:

I was thinking the same thing but then I realised it has its own target market and it even mentions them in the article "car campers" this is perfect for rocking up to the camp site with bulky and hard wearing. My nice lightweight dainty half length mat developed a hernia while car camping the other weekend .
 Nic 05 May 2017

It's a long time since I've done any camping, car or otherwise, but 1lb 13 oz? Is that right...it's almost a bag of sugar (my standard weight reference), which strikes me as a lot of weight to carry around just for a slightly better sleep than a foam mattress. No idea how much my old Karrimat weights, but I am guessing less than half that?
 jon 05 May 2017
In reply to climb the peak:

> Non-self-inflating sleeping mats save weight and reduce packing volume by not having foam, so what's the point in self-inflating camping mats as opposed to ones that take only a few minutes to inflate?

I'm guessing that one advantage is that you don't have to fill it with moisture from your breath on each inflation? However, to my mind, the big question is...

> a mattress that inflates in seconds, and deflates in a flash

... which is faster, seconds or a flash?

FR5811 05 May 2017

The self inflating mats are warmer because of the use of foam which is more effective at reducing heat loss through the ground. It's also more convenient to get up.
 olddirtydoggy 05 May 2017

Can I control this mattress from my smart phone?
 TobyA 06 May 2017
In reply to Nic:

I wish they would just use (or at least include) metric. I'm in my mid 40s and was never taught imperial, I'd need to google to find out what 1lb and 13 oz actually means. I've got a bit better idea what 2.5 inches is but even there it would be better in cms.

The press release describes thermarest as an Irish based company, but a European press release using imperial makes you feel they haven't really left the States behind!

p.s. For anyone else who does metric not imperial, google says that is 822 grams and 6.35 cms. TLDR: Comfy but heavy.
 nufkin 06 May 2017
In reply to TobyA:

> The press release describes thermarest as an Irish based company, but a European press release using imperial makes you feel they haven't really left the States behind!

At least you've heard of lbs and inches - what on earth is Johnny Continental going to make of it?
 james1978 07 May 2017
In reply to jon:

It's always better style to flash something rather than second. Flash wins.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...