Tent recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave the Rave 19 Apr 2021

Evening

Im currently using a 20 year old Solar 2.

I’m after something bigger of the same quality.

I used to have a 1993 Quasar which I loved but it died a few years back.

I’m after a solid 4 season tent for wild camping and nothing heavier than a quasar.

Drawbacks of the Quasar were a poor porch to cook in if the weather was foul.

is there anything sub £500 with an extended porch similar to the Hilleberg Nallo 2 Gt that is serviceable as a Scottish 4 season tent?

Slarti B 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Perhaps Nordisk Oppland 2?  https://nordisk.co.uk/oppland-2-si/forest-green/p/78/696

Very similar to Nallo 2 GT.  I have the 3 man version and its pretty good but I have not used it in really bad 4'th season conditions...

OP Dave the Rave 20 Apr 2021
In reply to Slarti B:

Thanks Siarti. That’s the design I’m after and I’ll have a look at some reviews.

Nice tent the Quasar. I had one for around 20 years before it finally gave up

I replaced it with a Nordisk Oppland 2 Si. Which is pretty good, but in retrospect I would choose the larger 3 person version. It is wider of course, but also 10 cm taller in the inner tent, and only at a weight penalty of 400 grams.

random_watcher 20 Apr 2021

No experience of this but might suit you, lacks the door flexibility of a Nallo 2 GT but otherwise fairly similar.

https://crux-outlet.online/product/t20-hyper-xt

In reply to Slarti B:

There are quite a few tents of this design (because it's a good configuration, I guess).

I've got a Blacks Octane 2 which is almost identical in design & spec to that Nordisk, barring a slight difference in pole (it has a slight pre-bend in the apex; an unnecessary weakness feature), but mine was £140, discounted, and now fairly long discontinued.

I wouldn't like to put it to proper four season use, but it didn't flinch in some very windy weather at the somewhat exposed Acton Field on Purbeck.

LastBoyScout 20 Apr 2021

The Quasar ETC had the extended porch you want - no idea if they are still available.

I had a Vango TBS Equinox 250 which is also the same design, but probably a bit on the heavy side for you - good all year round, though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...