Sliding chest strap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deadpoet 14 Mar 2024

Hi everyone, 

I am looking to replace my sliding chest strap (I think that's how they are called) from a Karrimor bag. Any ideas where I can source one?  

I have contacted Karrimor, but no reply yet.

I have tried the ones that can wrap around the straps, but it does not work.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave Baker SP5 14 Mar 2024
In reply to deadpoet:

If you search for "sternum strap" you might find more results

PaulJepson 14 Mar 2024
In reply to deadpoet:

I would probably try a bodge repair if it were me. 

If you don't still have the other half of the buckle, you can get replacement buckles that can be put in captive loops:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/set-of-2-quick-buckles-for-backpacks-20mm/_/R...

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15981446/eurohike-air-tent-bag-buckle-15981446

You could use a pair of plyers to snap the old half off. 

Then you'd just need to sew a short bit of webbing (can be bought /m at a lot of outdoor shops for <£2 a metre) to the one shoulder strap, where the old bit pulled out. 

I would personally use upholstery thread and go overboard on the number of stitches. 

I've bodged bag straps before and it doesn't take any special skills. 

Run_Ross_Run 14 Mar 2024
In reply to deadpoet:

Have a look on vinted for a cheapo rucksack,  quite a few have the same system so could be taken off there. Then resale the bag at a lower price to compensate.  

OP deadpoet 14 Mar 2024
In reply to Dave Baker SP5:

Thanks, I will search for sternum strap instead.

OP deadpoet 14 Mar 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

I have tried doing that, and it did end well . I will give it another go. 

Thanks for the links

Jenny C 14 Mar 2024
In reply to deadpoet:

It is possible to get the slider back onto those silly gliders, but it's incredibly awkward. Heat up the replacement in hot water first to soften it and try to force it on at the end of the rail - using something as a wedge to open up the glider helps.

Personally though I'd look to sew through the strap to create a non-adjustable replacement, they don't hold much weight so just hand sewing should be fine. Or a decent cobblers should be able to do it if you can source the parts.

Getting compatible squeeze buckles is (almost always) impossible, so most likely you will need to replace both sides - if you want to keep the rail I would advise cutting the webbing off the glider and stitching new on with the glider still on the bag (as above, fitting the glider back on the rail is not easy).

OP deadpoet 14 Mar 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

Thanks for the reply. 

I think I will end up going to a cobbler

Jenny C 15 Mar 2024
In reply to deadpoet:

Not familiar with karrimor, but most decent manufacturers will carry spare buckles. Us

Shout out to Osprey who sent me a free replacement buckle despite it being totally my fault - also for designing a buckle that's actually replaceable without having to restitch the webbing. 

JIMBO 15 Mar 2024
In reply to deadpoet:

try a search for vaude chest strap... looks like a similar end slider thing and only £4... might be worth a try?

Post edited at 07:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...