Sea soaked sport rope - stiff and kinked, any advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ZacMoss 18 Sep 2023

One of my sport ropes was submerged in sea water for the better part of a session a month or two ago while on a weekend trip after we were hit by multiple rogue waves. This was on the Saturday, it got a big wash on the Monday when I got home. I've since used it a couple times and it feels like crap - very stiff with kinks. It's still climbable but not a pleasant experience to climb with, particularly for the belayer. What are people's recommendations for cleaning it further, or is that just how it is now? My usual process is to soak it in a warm sink for hours with a lot of soap mixed in.

Steve Claw 18 Sep 2023
In reply to ZacMoss:

Its probably just soap residue.

Put it in the washing machine, always works well with mine.

ebdon 18 Sep 2023
In reply to ZacMoss:

If you are going to machine wash it daisy chain it first, it stops it getting all tangled.  

tallsteve 18 Sep 2023
In reply to ZacMoss:

A long soak in fresh water to dissolve any salt crystals then immediately rinse a few times.  Try tasting the water you soaked it in before chucking it - is is salty?  Your tongue is a good salt detector.  Keep rinsing till the water tastes fresh.

C Witter 18 Sep 2023
In reply to ZacMoss:

Machine wash, but no detergent and put the machine through a rinse before washing the ropes on a short, cold cycle, no spin. Make sure to plait the ropes first, probably using a series of slippery hitches (like they often do in a climbing wall to keep the ropes off the ground).

spenser 18 Sep 2023
In reply to ZacMoss:

Good UKC Article here:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/skills/washing_ropes-202

Rinse it through several times and use a rope brush, that should get salt out of the core and off the sheath.

GrahamD 18 Sep 2023
In reply to C Witter:

I've never worried about using a short spin cycle.

CurlyStevo 18 Sep 2023
In reply to ZacMoss:

Personally I'd just rinse it through a few more times in the bath. you could try washing in luke warm water perhaps with pure soap if that doesn't work (then rinsing multiple times)

Personally I'd avoid the washing machine as there will be washing powder / liquid residues and most of those are not good for ropes.

Post edited at 12:01
 LastBoyScout 18 Sep 2023
In reply to ZacMoss:

I used to rinse mine in the bath with plenty of clean water.

Think Nikwax might do a specific rope cleaner...

Edit - seems it's rope proofer, which might be worth considering while you're at it...

Post edited at 14:22
 CantClimbTom 18 Sep 2023
In reply to GrahamD:

I use a fast "cottons" spin (1,600) so it comes out mostly dry. I always avoid any soap. My ropes static go in filthy (cave and mines mud and ocre) and come out looking pretty new without any soap/detergent. I think you can buy rope wash detergent but I've never found the need.

LastBoyScout:

Rope proofer?? Interesting....

Post edited at 14:38
 PaulJepson 18 Sep 2023
In reply to tallsteve:

> Try tasting the water you soaked it in before chucking it - is is salty?  Your tongue is a good salt detector.  Keep rinsing till the water tastes fresh.

Does that work for sheep shit also?

brianjcooper 18 Sep 2023
In reply to ZacMoss:

As someone else has mentioned, I bought some rope cleaner, plus a curly rope brush. Both manufactured by Beal. Got mine at Go Outdoors. Not overly expensive, and plenty for the future.

Made my hands super soft too. 

Niall_H 20 Sep 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Does that work for sheep shit also?

Only if you already know what sheep shit tastes like

Post edited at 14:31
 leon 1 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Niall_H   Dont be fooled, just because they look like them doesn't mean that they actually taste like chocolate raisins.

Dave Cundy 20 Sep 2023
In reply to ZacMoss:

Steve King,  in my caving club, did some research into washing caving ropes. About 15 years ago.  He then analysed the molecular structure of them ( he worked at Harwel).

One of his conclusions was relevant to this discussion.  The ropes became stiffer after washing but this could be alleviated by adding fabric conditioner (NOT detergent).  He surmised that washing ropes removes any lubricating chemicals present from manufacture - hence the rope doesn't handle very well.  Using fabric conditioner helps the fibres to slide over each other, restoring the nice handling of the rope.  It didn't affect the strength (which he subsequently tested).

So if you've washed it loads and it still feels stiff, it's not salt crystals - it's a lack of 'lubricant'.  Try another wash with a bit of conditioner!

And no, I've not a clue which one to use!

ablackett 21 Sep 2023
In reply to ZacMoss:

You don't need soap, soap removes oils - it's salt you need to get rid of.  That's why people upthread are recommending just rinsing it in clean water.

In reply to Dave Cundy:

> Steve King,  in my caving club, did some research into washing caving ropes. About 15 years ago.  He then analysed the molecular structure of them ( he worked at Harwel).

> One of his conclusions was relevant to this discussion.  The ropes became stiffer after washing but this could be alleviated by adding fabric conditioner (NOT detergent).  He surmised that washing ropes removes any lubricating chemicals present from manufacture - hence the rope doesn't handle very well.  Using fabric conditioner helps the fibres to slide over each other, restoring the nice handling of the rope.  It didn't affect the strength (which he subsequently tested).

> So if you've washed it loads and it still feels stiff, it's not salt crystals - it's a lack of 'lubricant'.  Try another wash with a bit of conditioner!

> And no, I've not a clue which one to use!

He says he hasn't washed it all... yet.

Interesting comments about the conditioner though.

In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> He says he hasn't washed it all... yet.

"This was on the Saturday, it got a big wash on the Monday when I got home."

In reply to ZacMoss:

> One of my sport ropes was submerged in sea water for the better part of a session a month or two ago while on a weekend trip after we were hit by multiple rogue waves. This was on the Saturday, it got a big wash on the Monday when I got home. I've since used it a couple times and it feels like crap - very stiff with kinks. It's still climbable but not a pleasant experience to climb with, particularly for the belayer. What are people's recommendations for cleaning it further, or is that just how it is now? My usual process is to soak it in a warm sink for hours with a lot of soap mixed in.

This video might be helpful

https://youtu.be/quB-KEsqJNU?si=rhpF0QZGmSQw8WhK

In reply to captain paranoia:

> > He says he hasn't washed it all... yet.

> "This was on the Saturday, it got a big wash on the Monday when I got home."

Argh! Reading failure. It all makes sense now.

George_Surf 22 Sep 2023
In reply to Dave Cundy:

I use fabric conditioner. Works well for me. I rinse it after but it helps keep the rope supple 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...