Micro Trax - Zip line?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mlewis 22 Mar 2023

Has anyone ever used the micro trax go across a zip line?

I think the trax would probably get chewed up on a steel cable, although I'm unsure if a purpose built zip line pulley has a steel wheel. 

The cable in question is a short, relatively horizontal 10mm (ish) cable on the El Chorro Via Ferrata. 

(I've done it before on a Malion but it was hard work)

In reply to Mlewis:

You'd trash it. There's a steel-sheeved version on the Petzl tandem specifically for this.

CantClimbTom 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Mlewis:

Chances are good that it will chew up the micro traxion because it has a single pulley and soft alloy sides. A Petzl tandem speed (and similar) have alloy sides too but they will stay aligned on their stainless wheels as they are a double. Zipline pulleys have double steel wheels and speed capable bearings and are a different piece of equipment to a micro traxion

I've used a Petzl fixe pulley on steel cable (which is a more robust that a micro traxion) for a very short distance and it got a bit chewed so I won't repeat, in my case it wasn't totally ruined but it looks like it had been in a fight

If the steel cable has an accompanying static rope backup/safety line, a micro traxion would be ideal on the safety rope and using the progress capture it can stop you sliding back if you have to go uphill a bit at the end.

If you decide to chance it (maybe it is someone else's traxion who you don't like?) make sure you have a maillon or krab or something as a backup

OP Mlewis 22 Mar 2023

That's the answer I expected 👍

I'm reluctant to buy a tandem pulley as VF's with a zip line are not very common.

CantClimbTom 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Mlewis:

and they are expensive  - and heavy to carry on the back of a harness, if you only actually use them for 30 seconds twice a year   I bought a Chinese rip-off one instead and I *Regret* that, don't get a rip-off.

You must have to pray before every usage (and be a Catholic?)  -- the markings instructs you to "USE POPE". Just get a real Petzl

Post edited at 14:58

Harry Ellis 22 Mar 2023

In reply to Mlewis:

You can hire a proper cable pulley for a few euros from the Finca if you don’t want to splash out for a one off. 

OP Mlewis 22 Mar 2023
In reply to Harry Ellis:

I just got back, I didn't realise there was anywhere in El Chorro to rent equipment. I would have been interested as doing it on a Malion sucks! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...