Les Batons d'Alain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ben b 05 May 2020

Intriguing... and a whiff of the Emperor's New Clothes, maybe?

https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/a2-16-les-batons-dalain?var=66317

I can see the benefits to an extent, but not much discussion about the downsides (non-collapsible poles aren't easy to carry other than in your hands, for instance). What do you reckon?

b

John2 05 May 2020
In reply to ben b:

I've been using poles with similar extended grips for years for ski touring and general off-piste skiing. They are great - you don't need to mess about adjusting the length, and there is no locking mechanism to fail. I'm not so sure about the aesthetics of some of those colours, though.

Post edited at 09:07
OP ben b 05 May 2020
In reply to John2:

Yeah, long grips are definitely useful (I just tape the upper part of the pole below the handle). The colours are distinctly "european" eh

b

jon 05 May 2020
In reply to John2:

Yes, I’ve never understood why people insist on using collapsible poles for ski touring. Supposedly because they are easier to carry... but if you have to carry your poles then you’ll be carrying your skis anyway, which are much longer, so just attach them along side the skis. As you say, there’s never any need to adjust the length - just hold them where you need to. And of course the great advantage of non collapsible poles is just that - they don’t collapse just when you really don’t want them to!

John2 05 May 2020
In reply to jon:

One more benefit - when you're on a long drag lift in -20 temperatures your fingers don't get so cold holding the poles because you're holding the insulated grip rather than the base metal.

cb294 05 May 2020
In reply to jon:

I use my collapsible Komperdell poles (with extended grips!) for ski touring simply because I have them anyway for summer trekking.

CB

jon 05 May 2020
In reply to cb294:

Yes, but that's a bit different to chosing them specially

Doug 05 May 2020
In reply to jon:

Like cb I have telescopic poles (with extended grips) as it means I have one pair for walking & most of my skiing - I prefer longer poles for nordic style touring (with some kick & glide /skating) & shorter for more alpine terrain. But I do have a fixed length pair for XC track skiing.

Dell 05 May 2020
In reply to ben b:

Did anyone else click on this thinking it would be a post about the softly spoken baldie philosophical dude? 

In reply to ben b:

They're widely used in the ski touring and trail running communities in the Alps, particularly in Chamonix.  I'm on my second set now and they're ace.  

Not sure what you mean by the Emporer's New Clothes?  

Tim Davies 06 May 2020
In reply to jon:

Again no idea why people use adjustable poles for ski touring. I’ve never once seen anyone adjust the length, and if they need carrying they go along side the skis (which can’t be adjusted) 

I’ve been lumbered with carrying the  group spare pole. Have used it every time because ......an adjustable pole had snapped at the joint......

cb294 06 May 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

I definitely adjust pole length, shorter for uphill, longer for down again. Of course, a compromise fixed length would also work, but why not take the few seconds to hit the optimum?

Of course, if I need a shorter pole just briefly, e.g. for traversing, I use the extended grip on the uphill side.

CB

jon 06 May 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

> along side the skis (which can’t be adjusted) 

Er... not so fast:  youtube.com/watch?v=vPBy9eZuBso&

OP ben b 06 May 2020
In reply to raliadsa skcalbwah: 

> Not sure what you mean by the Emperor's New Clothes?  

Ultimately, Alain has reinvented fixed length standard ski poles with longer grips, for 80 euros. Good on him for doing so. 

b

cb294 06 May 2020
In reply to Doug:

Of course, for CC I have fixed poles, actually two legnths for classic and skating!

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...