Having Vislon zip put on flysheet instead of coil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 08 Aug 2020

I'm guessing/hoping that the short answer is 'No there isn't', but is there any reason why one shouldn't ask a gear repair place to fit a vislon zip to the flysheet of my Akto tent, rather than the coil one which failed?

I remember a video on here, where a shop guy was talking about it being coil zips which fail on clothing in a way which Vislon zips don't, which is what set me thinking about that zip for my flysheet. 

Post edited at 19:04
In reply to Timmd:

Coil zip failure is usually due to wear on the stitching of the coil to the backer.

Vislon zips fail because the moulded teeth fall off the backer.

L.A. 08 Aug 2020
In reply to Timmd:  It also depends on the seam that its going to go on. Coils are better on curved seams Vislon are better on straight seams ie jackets/clothing. I suspect Hilleberg would have researched and sourced the correct zip for their product in the first place 

Post edited at 20:28
OP Timmd 08 Aug 2020
In reply to L.A.:

So that will be why tents always seem to have coil zips. 

Many ta's. 

OP Timmd 08 Aug 2020
In reply to L.A.:

My other idea was some kind of double zip arrangement, so that there isn't just one zip being relied upon to keep things water and weather tight.

I'll probably just post it off to have the zip replaced and ponder about anything further being done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...