Glue for mending shoes/boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 31 Oct 2021

Having after ten or twelve years of reasonably hard wear, my boot has decided to give up the ghost. Just one though (I'm hopping mad). The other is still in pretty good nick, not remotely disintegrating.

I've ordered some replacements, but I'm a bit offended to throw the decent one away, so feel compelled to mend the other.

Any suggestions for a decent adhesive to glue the various layers of sole back together, and the leather outer to the synthetic inner? I don't know enough footwear terminology to explain this well. I'm sure the word rand is involved somewhere.

They are Scarpa somethings or other, about twelve years old. Apparently replaced by the Evo gtx, if that helps elicit any advice 

Ta, GTE

Prof. Outdoors 31 Oct 2021
In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

Took my cycling shoes into Timpsons as the sole was separating from the upper. Was a simple job for them and they just asked for a charity donation! Shoe was great.

Another Timpsons charged to do the other shoe at a later date and they fell apart the following week. (Comical sight as the sole remained attached to the pedal as the uppers stayed on my foot)

Shoegoo is the best if going DIY. Cleaning surfaces and clamping it all together may be difficult hence the use of the cobblers.

Good luck.

Post edited at 22:44
 Toerag 01 Nov 2021

ShooGoo will be the standard suggestion on here (do a search).  It's a polyurethane adhesive, as is Sikaflex 291. I've used the latter to glue the soles back on my Tevas and it's worked well so far. In my experience, quality PU adhesives seem to stick anything to anything really well, especially flexible things that epoxy resins can't deal with.  They're so good that boatbuilding books specifically tell people not to use them for gluing or bedding in things you'll potentially want to take apart at some point in the future, as one of them will invariably break before the bond.

rgold 01 Nov 2021
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

In the US the standard thing is Barge Cement, which I understand is the same stuff used by resolers.  I've used it on shoes (not recently) that had a habit of delaminating, requiring weekly repairs. 

It looks and smells like ordinary rubber cement.  You put a thin coat on both surfaces, let it dry, and then clamp or bind or somehow try to keep the bond under pressure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barge-All-Purpose-Cement-2-oz/dp/B00A3UTMJM/ref=sr...

Rick Graham 01 Nov 2021

After following a thread on here a year or two back, and struggling to get shoogoo at sensible prices,  I bought some Bison liquid rubber and a Klebfast glue for rubber, leather etc. Both have been excellent.

LastBoyScout 02 Nov 2021
In reply to Rick Graham:

Bison liquid rubber was going to be my suggestion - used it on several pairs of shoes to good effect.

In reply to Toerag:

> It's a polyurethane adhesive, as is Sikaflex 291.

My B-i-L is a boatie type (professionally). He is a huge fan of Sikaflex, of various types. IIRC, the only downside is that it goes off quite quickly once you've opened a tube. Well, that and the cost...

A colleague found 'Everbuild Stixall Black' worked very well on some shoes.

Mike-W-99 02 Nov 2021

I used this stuff to repair my running shoes with some success.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ob1-multi-purpose-sealant-adhesive-black-290ml/7...

smally 02 Nov 2021

Renia Klebfest (not Klebfast ,as mentioned above) is great for gluing soles, however it's no use for building up /filling areas. McNett's Freesole, a polyurethane glue, is good for that purpose, I think the brand name has recently changed though.

Cheers, Iain

Toerag 02 Nov 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> He is a huge fan of Sikaflex, of various types. IIRC, the only downside is that it goes off quite quickly once you've opened a tube.

It has another downside - it appears to breed. Get some on your finger and wipe it off on something and you'll find that magically there's still the original amount on your finger, plus an equal amount on whatever you wiped it on!

>Well, that and the cost...

Agreed, I only fix shoes when I can scam the dregs of a tube off someone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...