Fastest Shoe Resoler?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for shoe resoling? I was going to use cheshire shoe repairs upon recommendation from a friend but they're closed until the 3rd August. Is there anywhere that currently offers a quick turnaround on shoe repair? 

As a sidenote, has anyone tried to repair shoes themselves? How did you find it and did it last? I've seen a few kits available online but I worry about my subpar ability compared to a professional in case it comes apart in days.

Cheers 

AlanLittle 20 Jul 2023
In reply to Camerontaylor158:

I've been told it takes a few days for the glue to cure properly, so on that basis alone I'd be highly sceptical of anybody promising anything under about a week.

gethin_allen 20 Jul 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

I seem to remember hearing about man in a van who used to go around font resoling shoes in a matter of hours. In which case it can't take that long for the glue to cure. 

I imagine they use some sort of contact adhesive similar to evo stick where you coat both surfaces with the glue, leave it until both are almost dry and then squeeze the surfaces together and get an almost instant fix.

​​​​

Alkis 20 Jul 2023

Llanberis Resoles can be quite fast, especially if you pay instantly, but it depends on their workload at the time.

ebdon 20 Jul 2023

I've had a few pairs done recently, feet first took about 5 months, llanberis resoles took about 10 days. 

I think both also offer an express service.

archibaldie 20 Jul 2023

I’ve had decent results resoling at home. It took me a couple pairs to get there, but it’s worth practicing on a pair you’re not too precious about. 

I bought the glue and rubber off of eBay, a user called outdoorjames has various rubber types

Climber_Bill 20 Jul 2023

Maybe there should be an annual shoe repairer competition. It could be run alongside the BBC's.

Repairers are given a load of ratty old shoes to repair and a time limit. Finished shoes are then tried out by judges and random audience members to check out quality. Bonus points for not puking at the smell of manky old indoor training shoes. I have a few of those they could use.

We could support our favourite shoe repair team with t'shirts and banners. Could even have special guests to compère such as Black Diamond George (the shoe artist formerly known as Greek George), Heinz Mariacher or Pietro Dal Pra.

Gosh, what fun it would be.

olddirtydoggy 20 Jul 2023

Usually when demand outstrips supply it is a sign that there's a great little business to get into but there does seem to be a shortage of good quality climbing show repairers. There must be some young climbing enthusiasts reading this stuff looking for work.

Climber_Bill 20 Jul 2023
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

And of course, my shoe repair competition, the name of which I am currently in the process of patenting, will include a category for best newcomer in the last year.

They could win a years supply of branded resoles from a sponsor to help get them over those initial set up costs.

Sealwife 20 Jul 2023
In reply to Climber_Bill:

Maybe you’d get the BMC to sponsor it

slawrence1001 20 Jul 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

I think they'd happily invest at least 90k for the event

Mancclimb 20 Jul 2023
In reply to Alkis:

Highly recommended. You can take in a walk whilst you're there!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...