BD Creek sizing & trad rock shoe questions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harrie 11 May 2020

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the BD Creek packs? I know they are very popular and I'm looking into getting one for cragging. Want it to be sizeable enough to fit a belay jacket + a full rack & the standard climbing kit. I'm unsure on sizing and am torn between the 35 and the 50. Anybody have either and can chime in?

I thought it'd be best to combine two posts into one, and so my second question is about the Sportiva Mythos rock shoe. Heard they are good all-day-comfort shoes; my Vapors are agony after an hour or so so I'm looking for something a bit more comfortable for long days at the crag. I've had Sportiva shoes before and am fairly confident in my sizing (UK 9 street shoe), but wondered if anybody had any intel to share on fit, stretch, etc of the Mythos? Obviously the current environment means that trying them on is difficult - and I don't mind having to order and send back. 

Also open to suggestions for a different all-day trad rock shoe that I might have overlooked? 

Thanks,
H

Larefia 12 May 2020
In reply to Harrie:

Creek 35 is more than big enough for cragging, you'll get a double rack, helmet, shoes and food/drink in one easily. Rope is carried over the top. 50ltr would be overkill having used mine for two years now.   

jezb1 12 May 2020
In reply to Harrie:

I have the 50 and love it. For cragging weight isn’t an issue and everything fits easily inside.

Ive used mine shed loads over the last few years and it’s taken a beating, often day in day out,

Theyre heavy bags so if weight is of any concern at all, look elsewhere.

nawface 13 May 2020
In reply to Harrie:

It's a cragging sack so go big.   I have the 50 and it's great.  Can just chuck loads in.  

misterb 13 May 2020
In reply to Harrie:

50 for sure

The 35 you would have to be very well organised to get everything i take to the crag for the day especially if the weather is looking ifffy

misterb 13 May 2020
In reply to Harrie:

The lasportiva  finale is also worth looking at

PaulW 13 May 2020
In reply to Harrie:

Mythos are super comfy. Work well for folks with a longer second toe. Stretch quite a bit but are not a shoe that needs to be uncomfortably tight to work OK. My favourite shoe for Alpine rock routes.

Larefia 13 May 2020
In reply to misterb:

Curious what you are carrying?

Creek 35ltr takes a double rack inc 17 cams, double offsets, double chocks and double set of nuts. Add to that all the carabiners etc you could ever need and your usual kit helmet shoes etc waterproof trousers, belay jackey, hat and gloves and I still have room for food drink etc?

How heavy is that 50ltr going to get?

Post edited at 13:04
OP Harrie 13 May 2020
In reply to Larefia:

Quite a few people are saying otherwise, the sentiment seems to be that I should get a 50L one anyway. Can you normally fit a belay jacket etc too?

OP Harrie 13 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Thanks for the response Jez. Do you think you'd be missing out if you only had the 35? 

OP Harrie 13 May 2020
In reply to PaulW:

Cheers Paul. Whilst my toes are of a more standard arrangement, I might still bite the bullet and order from somewhere with a good online returns policy.  

Out of curiosity, and I know it varies, but what is your street size, and what size Mythos do you wear? I have a friend who's a 9UK street and wears an 8 Mythos and he said they've probably stretched a bit too much. 

Thanks again. 

jezb1 13 May 2020
In reply to Harrie:

35 is still an ace bag. I suspect you’d ended up having a rope on the outside sometimes.

My 50 comes out so much, it’s pretty much perfect whether it’s trad in the Pass or lugging an 80m rope and 30 draws to a Spanish sport crag.

Larefia 13 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

50ltr usful for lugging kit when with clients as well I would imagine Jez?

Larefia 13 May 2020
In reply to Harrie:

Pay your money take your choice no rights or wrongs implied about anyones choices 50 or 35. I find the 35 suits me and I do carry a lot of kit including to answer your question a full size (xl) down belay jacket.

jezb1 13 May 2020
In reply to Larefia:

> 50ltr usful for lugging kit when with clients as well I would imagine Jez?

They’re supposed to carry my kit!

misterb 13 May 2020
In reply to Larefia:

Mountain hardware dirretissima 50

I like more room as the empty bag doesn't weigh much more in the larger size anyway so no penalty and i dislike stuff hanging off the outside of a pack. Plus most of my walk ins are not more than a mile and often much shorter

PaulW 13 May 2020
In reply to Harrie:

They are sized in European sizes, the UK conversions are close but don't quite match.

42 and 39. 39 and 1/2 if I want to wear socks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...