Are all Tarps equal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 15 Jul 2023

Looking for a general purpose tarp - bit of shelter (sun shade for lunch), impromptu canoe sail, occasional bivvy for 1/2, cover for a hammock. I've got a decathlon one with poles that was bought to provide shade for kids in their paddling pool and as a play thing in the garden, it's not light /packable so looking for something better.

Any one got experience of the Alpkit or Rab ones? I'm wondering what the advantage (and hence x2 price) of the siliconised Vs normal polyester/polyurethane tarps are.

Mal Grey 15 Jul 2023
In reply to Philip:

I had both cheaper DD and an Alpkit one. The former are fine, and do a great job for the price, but the main difference is the quality of the various attachment points and hanging loops. Those on the DD do fray and the stitching pull over time. Those on the Alpkit are much more secure and very long lasting.

OP Philip 15 Jul 2023
In reply to Mal Grey:

Great, thanks. Yes we have a few DD in out scout kit, and I had thought about on of those. Might get a Rig 7 while Alpkit have them reduced and I've got a £20 voucher.

CantClimbTom 15 Jul 2023
In reply to Philip:

If lightweight is your priority, then be aware the retailer https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ (who sell tarps as well as a lot of other stuff) default sort their listings by weight and the weight of everything is clearly listed, so if you want to know the lightest from the heaviest, it's an interesting comparison.

Also, there are the eye wateringly expensive ones made from "Cuban fibre" (probably little risk of people buying them at that price) but I've been told that they sound like a thousand crisp packets being rustled if the slightest breeze hits them, so "is it quiet?" becomes a factor for some of the very lightest kit, from tarps to thermarests

Post edited at 18:34
 Dave Cundy 15 Jul 2023
In reply to Philip:

I think cuban fibre is made of dyneema (aka. kevlar) with a silicone coating.   Lighter than sil-nylon but with a hefty price tag.

OP Philip 15 Jul 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

No, durability is probably more important for canoe and group use.

Post edited at 19:37
 Ryan23 16 Jul 2023
In reply to Dave Cundy:

Cuban fibre is made from Dyneema, but that's not the same as Kevlar. Kevlar is a type of aramid.

magma 16 Jul 2023
In reply to Mal Grey:

> I had both cheaper DD and an Alpkit one. The former are fine, and do a great job for the price, but the main difference is the quality of the various attachment points and hanging loops.

interesting. is this the 3x3 size? the alpkit '3 square' seems a few quid cheaper than the DD 3x3? i went for the DD 3x3 pro with extra attachment points.

magma 16 Jul 2023
In reply to Philip:

> Might get a Rig 7 while Alpkit have them reduced and I've got a £20 voucher.

a no brainer, although a 3x3 maybe be more versatile? or even a 4x4

Mal Grey 16 Jul 2023
In reply to magma:

Also interesting, as I wasn't aware of this model, just the Rigs. The "Square" series appear to be a simplified version, using polyester instead of ripstop nylon, but the attachment point webbing looks like good quality nylon in the pictures (I think DD is polyester webbing). However it lacks ridge hanging points from what I can tell. Looks good value.

I find the Rig 7 size is a little small really, 3 x 3 is definitely better and more flexible. I also have a different Rig that is no longer listed that is more like 4 x 2.7 or something. A bit too rectangular for a lot of variations on pitching, but fantastic quality with loads of hanging points made from Hypalon, and the shape suits my use most of the time (often lean-to style with dropped ends). 

OP Philip 17 Jul 2023
In reply to magma:

But the Rig is silicone coated and has ridge attachment points. The 3x3 seems a cheaper version of the DD and fewer attachment points.

It's more expensive but the best quality option seems to be a 3x3 expedition tarp from Aiguille Alpine. Downside is the 1.2 kg. 

alibrightman 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Philip:

> Are all Tarps equal?

Yes. They all let the midgies in.

Post edited at 01:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...